Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 03:23   #31

Re: Transporting sailboat from Croatia to Norway

So the current of the flow only flows south?

I would say that a 54ft sailboat more likely has a 8kn speed at average workload which then becomes 6kn which is better.

Anyways it’s an interesting alternative - although I’ll unlikely pursue it. Does anyone know the full length of this trip - France to Netherlands?

Br, Peter
peter-sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:33   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

In Split port for 2-3 week coming 2-4 big ship weekly for yacht transport carrying hundreds yacht from all world usually caribe .
this is some of agent for you
https://www.superyachtshipping.com/m...nean-sailings/
https://www.pm-shipping.com/en/logis...-and-back.html
and more.
if you bay boat I can transport your boat from your marina to Split port, normally in contact whit ship agent. Everything must be just in time, because big ship doesn't wait
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:34   #33

Location: NZ but boat on slow circumnavigation currently in NW Spain
Boat: Oyster 435 45ft

My cost to do this would be 220E per day plus all expenses. I hold a master 3000 tons MCA and Yachtmaster Ocean with a reference from Lloyds of London.

Timing depends on weather and as always rushing a trip is usually more expensive if the weather doesn’t cooperate with pottential damages so far better to gentle a boat and arrive in great shape .

Always happy to teach and owner while sailing
capnigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:39   #34

Don't waste your money on sailing her to Norway. Get the boat shifted to Koper in Slovenia and then road transported to Norway. Cheaper, no boat damage and 3-4 days max Koper to Oslo. It's all in the EU, all motorway, so no tax or VAT worries, and no stopping at borders for permits etc.
foreverfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:48   #35

Boat: Custom 52

I won’t comment on the Bavaria choice as you didn’t ask for boat buying advice but rather how to best transport your potential new boat from Croatia to Norway.

Many years ago we trucked our old Najad 440 from Kiel (North of Germany) to Palma de Mallorca (yes the last bit on a ferry) and if I remember correctly we paid approx. €17K

You’d also want to add transport insurance plus a return flight (or two) and hotel to inspect / be there for survey.

So sailing your new family member by yourself with a few mates along the way makes probably more sense financially.

You can get an ex-charter Bavaria relatively cheap in Croatia, Greece and / or Turkey (for obvious reasons)

Good luck.
Rainbowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:34   #36

Boat: Macgregor 26X Carpe Diem

Hi
I have sent you a PM.
Please post me back if you do not receive it.

Peter
Carpe Diem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:44   #37

Another 50 footer went the inland route
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 00:39   #38

Boat: Hanse 461

Hi Peter,
I am based Norway and have been going through the same process. With the Covid restrictions and premiums on transport (and everything else), I suggest you explore shipping to Southampton or such in the UK, then sail from there.
/M
MADaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:06   #39

[QUOTE=Joh.Ghurt;3374005]Peter,

there are a few threads about delivery costs, some of them real disaster-zones off unrealistic expectation and trolling. To spare you the pain to look through those, a number that comes up from experienced delivery-skippers often is $2 per mile.

* - plus expenses
keelsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 00:24   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-sailing View Post
Hi all

I have been trying to buy a used Bavaria cruiser 50 here in Norway for a while but they get sold so quick and never manages to even see them.

As a result I’m thinking of buyer a boat in Croatia and have it sailed to Norway.

Any experience to share? What is the best option - getting it shipped or sailed? Can the crews be trusted? How do you find a good crew? The trips is around 3500nm - how long would that realistically take? A month?

I’m hoping that the corona rules will loosen up a bit over the summer, but let’s see.

Kind Regards,
Peter
I been working as a Skipper for 18 years and used quite a few Bavarias 35 to 46ft on 240nm to 320nm trips back and forth the spanish peninsula and around the Balearic islands and I’ve been through my fare share of nasty weather with them and I can say I never experience any problems, in fact I was rather amazed how well they took the beatings of wind and waves. Of course the smaller the boat the wetter it gets. Anything over 40ft not to say 50ft will be way more comfortable. Now what I notice is that Bavarias do cut around their production budgets on small things like the quality of Inox, woods and upholstery, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one if the price was right. Now if you can make a little effort Beneteau and Jeaneau do have better quality and you can find quite a few of them being offered at good prices in Croatia, Grece and even Turkey. Usually charter boats being sold for fleet renew. No matter what brand the boat is make sure you get your own surveyor to check the boat thoroughly and be ready to spend a few thousands more, especially in riging, electrics and electronics and sails, possibly the main, assuming the engine is ok. I think once you find your dream boat take your time to get back to Norway and enjoy the area, there are so many awesome places to visit.
ramonex3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:06   #41
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to WorldYachting

Croatia to Norway on a Bavaria 50 no probs, I thought the question was on the delivery not the boat.

Some honest answers. Mileage say Dubrovnik to Oslo 3325 miles allow 24 days for the delivery plus another 10 days to get to Croatia and back with stop overs in Gib, Bayona and Dan Helda

Common delivery rate around USD350 per day for a crew of 3. plus transportation to and from the vessel, fuel and marina costs.

Owner can join for part or all of the trip.

375,000 miles already sailed with 57 Atlantic crossings

All outside of Covid of course.
WorldYachting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:51   #42

Boat: X442

I would go by sea. It's a logistical puzzle but a great experience.

I sailed my boat from Denmark to the Med, taking the time. First from Haderslev to Amsterdam, then Amsterdam Cadiz, then Cadiz Genoa. If you're interested I can explain a bit more about winter storage possibilities in Cadiz and IJmuiden (nr Amsterdam), how to get there, accommodation in both places, etc.

I looked at trucking which I decided would be the dullest and most pointless way of doing things. Then I looked at the canals through France, max draught 1.6m (the route via the Rhone & Rhine I am quite sure involves some trucking halfway). So sailing all the way was the answer. Wouldn't have wanted to miss that experience in the world!
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:44   #43

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

You might try looking at these boats for sale. Mola is a charter company in Germany. I purchased a boat from them about 10 years ago. They are honest and the boats are in good shape. They give a 1 year guarantee on the boat - so you have recourse if there are serious problems. Sailing one back from Germany to Norway is a 3 day event

https://yachthandel-mola.de/Yachthan...brauchtyachten

good luck

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 16:43   #44

Boat: Beneteau 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-sailing View Post
So the current of the flow only flows south?

I would say that a 54ft sailboat more likely has a 8kn speed at average workload which then becomes 6kn which is better.

Anyways it’s an interesting alternative - although I’ll unlikely pursue it. Does anyone know the full length of this trip - France to Netherlands?

Br, Peter
Hi Peter, if you hire Boatman...I am willing to crew for free. No alcohol underway, no tobacco, no drugs. I take my watches seriously and stay awake even at 3 am. I have no certifications to speak of (OK some joke ASA courses). I have 30 years experience in open waters off San Francisco as well as the bay and river. Some deliveries from Mexico. No incidents whatever. I speak a couple of languages fluently and another near fluent. I can cook, I can clean, I can lasso a cleat, or even change a fuel filter. Not looking for any pay and not looking to be anything but crew. Just looking for adventure. PM me if you are interested.
Regards,
Andreas
oslokid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Croatia, Norway, sail, sailboat