Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 05:09   #1

Boat: Downeaster 38
True Kit Boats

Bought a true kit Discovery 4.0 for part time tender use, part time camper trailer use, and part time general runabout at marina when not traveling.

Probably wee bit much for the tender duty, but it will be excellent for the other uses. Thing is yuuuuuge! We will probably by a small tender for dedicated tender use and a tiny outboard someday. Wait until we’re cruising more for that though…

True Kit customer service had been excellent. I assembled the boat when it arrived. It was easy and I’m impressed with quality.

Suzuki 20hp shows up today so we’ll get to use it this weekend. I’ll share my experiences, but so far I’m really impressed with these guys.

They even called after it was delivered to thank me for the business and confirm I was satisfied.
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:41   #2
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: True Kit Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Bought a true kit Discovery 4.0 for part time tender use, part time camper trailer use, and part time general runabout at marina when not traveling.

Probably wee bit much for the tender duty, but it will be excellent for the other uses. Thing is yuuuuuge! We will probably by a small tender for dedicated tender use and a tiny outboard someday. Wait until we’re cruising more for that though…

True Kit customer service had been excellent. I assembled the boat when it arrived. It was easy and I’m impressed with quality.

Suzuki 20hp shows up today so we’ll get to use it this weekend. I’ll share my experiences, but so far I’m really impressed with these guys.

They even called after it was delivered to thank me for the business and confirm I was satisfied.

Still love mine but build quality is not the best. After 2.5 years I have a slow leak in one of the tubes and a few straps and rings have simply unglued or ripped away under minimal stress, along with the cover for the floor which is coming away.

I also met another cruiser who did not have anything good to say about his, which at 2 years was really coming apart with multiple glue issues all over the tender - This started just after a year and true kit told him to just glue it all back, which he did but it has not lasted.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:45   #3

Re: True Kit Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Still love mine but build quality is not the best. After 2.5 years I have a slow leak in one of the tubes and a few straps and rings have simply unglued or ripped away under minimal stress, along with the cover for the floor which is coming away.

I also met another cruiser who did not have anything good to say about his, which at 2 years was really coming apart with multiple glue issues all over the tender - This started just after a year and true kit told him to just glue it all back, which he did but it has not lasted.
Thanks for this report. I was considering a TrueKit. Something to think about......
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Boats