Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2015, 15:01   #226

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: U.S. Coast Guard boarding experience (not typical i dont think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
“The violent USA”?

The USA doesn’t even make the top 20.

The 20 Most Homicidal Countries In The World - Business Insider

Most of us go about our lives and never experience crime or violence. There are over 320 million people here so there is bound to be some violence but nowhere near what the media makes it out to be. What violence we do have is mostly criminals shooting each other and the occasional nut case shooting up a gun free zone.

I have lived up and down the east coast and don’t know anyone who has been the victim of violence or a crime. Obviously we stay away from the inner cities because that is where the gangbangers do most of their work. I imagine that is true for most countries.
You can't quote Jim's post and then rebut it by adding 'in the world'. If your going to do that, then by 'region', the America's is number one, on top, the most, the highest number of homicides anywhere. All he said is the USA is violent and I honestly can't see how anyone can rebutt that simple comment. It is. Doesn't mean there arn't lots of non violent areas.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 15:09   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Except when your Flag State has a ship boarding agreement.

Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI) Ship Boarding Agreements
105 Participants, Including: Afghanistan, Albania, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, Fiji, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Holy See, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Samoa, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Viet Nam, & Yemen.

Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI) | Treaties & Regimes | NTI
Quoting this PSI as cause to board sailing vessels is taking this ' PSI' completely out of context. It's agreements around Weapons of Mass Destruction and stopping and searching vessels suspected of carrying them. If you read the instrument they still have to consult with the flag nation but the flag nation who has adopted the PSI has agreed when requested to consent.

You can't just take something like this and apply it to recreational sail boats.

Proliferation Security Initiative: Statement of Interdiction Principles
Old 21-10-2015, 15:10   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The OP did nothing wrong at all from what he's told us. Nothing.
Detained and questioned for four hours for no reason? Says he did nothing wrong? Occam's razor would suggest otherwise.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 15:20   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Detained and questioned for four hours for no reason? Says he did nothing wrong? Occam's razor would suggest otherwise.
NO if you want to get all philosophical then 'Occam's razor' principal would suggest he didn't do anything wrong because he was not charged with anything at all.

Are you deliberately trying to slander him?
Old 21-10-2015, 15:29   #230

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

occam's razor is not applicable, as there is nothing scientific on the war on drugs.
science would tell you to end this war, tax the import/sale and use the revenue to therapy the addicts.
science would also tell you that the availability of lethal weapons increases the amount of lethalities.
you can keep comparing yourself to Iraq and Zimbabwe on murders and say everything is fine or you can go take a look at GB or France or Switzerland and fiure out why nobody wants to shoot their neighbor there.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 15:32   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
occam's razor is not applicable, as there is nothing scientific on the war on drugs.
science would tell you to end this war, tax the import/sale and use the revenue to therapy the addicts.
What's Occam's Razor got to do with the war on drugs?
Old 21-10-2015, 15:37   #232

Quote:
What's Occam's Razor got to do with the war on drugs?
nothing, it's not applicable. i just said that in your quote?
Old 21-10-2015, 15:40   #233

Quote:
nothing, it's not applicable. i just said that in your quote?
I was responding to Delancy in post 228 where he quoted the principal wrongly.
Old 21-10-2015, 15:42   #234

The simplest explanation is that he did something wrong, hence we was detained and questioned for four hours.

Believe that a USCG cutter and small boat crew have nothing better to do for four hours than hassle good citizens on the high seas for no reason at all other than that they are bored if you wish.

Meanwhile I will choose to believe they had a reason. If it turns out I am wrong, I will be glad because it will mean I learned something new about human nature.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 15:43   #235
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Funny old thread, this one .

Some here remind me of the principle that one should punish one's young child every night just 'cause being a kid, he/she must have done something wrong even though one didn't witness any wrong doing .

But back to the main topic, I recall reading an account of an Aussie single hander sailing west somewhere of the west coast of central /south America in international waters sometime in the 90s.

He was hailed by radio in the middle of a very dark night saying he was to be boarded by the USCG for a routine search. He responded saying he was an Australian flagged and in international waters. They responded advising that the Australian government had an agreement with the US allowing them to intercept and board.

At this stage, he could not sight the other vessel due to dark night (and blacked out) and so asked for some proof of their identity. They illuminated the US flag with a single spotlight. He asked for further identification on the grounds that anyone could fly any flag they wanted in order to deceive. Shortly after, they light up the entire USCG vessel with all deck lighting etc.

Apparently that satisfied him the other boat was genuinely a USCG cutter or whatever and the boarding proceeded peacefully.

FWIW...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 15:46   #236

but you quoted me. we should settle this over a beer. let's meet somewhere half way? :P
Old 21-10-2015, 18:00   #237
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
The simplest explanation is that he did something wrong, hence we was detained and questioned for four hours.

Believe that a USCG cutter and small boat crew have nothing better to do for four hours than hassle good citizens on the high seas for no reason at all other than that they are bored if you wish.

Meanwhile I will choose to believe they had a reason. If it turns out I am wrong, I will be glad because it will mean I learned something new about human nature.
You are "Assuming" they had a valid reason, which may well be the case...... But in this day of electronic intelligence alerts....the USCG could easily be acting on false intelligence and information...... Happens all the time
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 18:03   #238

Quote:
but you quoted me. we should settle this over a beer. let's meet somewhere half way? :P

That would be India. Do they have beer in India?
Old 21-10-2015, 18:28   #239

Boat: 1980 Lancer 28

Quote:

Yet again the excuse of "they had a reason". The simple facts seem to escape any and all who fear shadows. IF there was a reason, there would have been an outcome far different than what was. Simply put, my country has no business policing the entire world and should immediatelty stop the crap being pulled. Just because someone feels they have some ill concieved "authority" does not give them the right to brandish weapons (as in USCG/LEO always doing so). I am quite frankly surprised that a number of them haven't been blasted on the spot, as weapons "at the ready" always do one of two things. One, the other party is cowed into submission out of fear. Two, the other party is immediately put on the defensive.

That Said, I do understand the feeling of LEO that they are in dangerous situations. However, that is the job and they were not forced into it but freely chose it. As such, then it is those persons that should quit, or find a desk job.
dondoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 18:48   #240

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
That would be India. Do they have beer in India?
Kingfisher?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, enc