Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2011, 05:51   #1

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Unashamed Plug

This is an unashamed plug for West Marine, and no I don't work for them. I used to spend 99% of my boat $$ a Defender. They do have great prices and good service.
Earlier this year though when West recalled the Rocna anchors I gained a whole new respect for West. Don't get me wrong, I have always thought they were a good company, just out of my budget. They are usually higher on just about everything, but they are also the only ones out there that have invested a ton of money in a vast network of local stores. Having owned a couple of small business's I know you have to charge more to do that. You also pay for convenience. I understand and accept that.
I wanted to do business with WM because of their willingness to stand up on the Rocna issue, so when I bought my new Manson Supreme earlier this year, I bought it at West. A 25 pounder. Regular price at WM was $249. I found the same anchor at Overton's for $199. I called WM and asked if they would price match it. They did and I bought it from them. I have bought a lot of stuff from them this year the same way. I bought a new macerator pump yesterday. WMs price was $157, Defender was $145 + shipping. I called the local West store and asked if they would price match it and have it shipped to the store (no shipping charges if sent to a store), he said yes they would match Defenders price, and they had two of them on the shelf. Twenty minutes later I had my pump, and for less than I would have paid at Defender.
I may not be their favorite customer since I price match everything, but at least they are getting my business.
Old 25-10-2011, 07:54   #2

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Unashamed Plug

You did good getting your Manson that way.

I ordered mine from Overton's. Great price but . . . when they shipped it via UPS, they didn't put it in a box. They didn't even give it a small wrap of cardboard. They just slapped a label on the anchor. When I got it, it looked like it had been dropped and dragged on several different concrete floors along the way. It was missing galvanizing along several inches of the back edge of the fluke. I was pissed at the sloppiness of their method, but decided to just epoxy over the areas missing galvanizing rather than go to the trouble and expense of returning the anchor. So far my patch is holding up well, and I can always recoat as needed.

Anyway -- just a cautionary tale about "good deals" . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 08:08   #3

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Have you purchased a "Port Supply" discount card from West Marine? With this numbered card you can get a discount from the retail price plus a slightly better deal with Boat US towing service, etc, etc.

When I returned to the US in 2009 it was the second thing I purchased after the cell phone.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 18:52   #4

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

I have a rewards card with them, I don't know if that is the same thing you are talking about. I just picked up my new caompass from them today. Good price and had it shipped to the local store for free.
Old 25-10-2011, 18:59   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Port Supply is a waste of time.

It used to be really good but the bean counters took over.....you don't get that much of a break. Unless you are buying thousands of $$$ worth of stuff each year.

I have worked out deals with the smaller Marine Stores. I get 20% or more off of EVERYTHING.

Port Supply has a negligible discount on any Electronics.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 19:06   #6

I just had cause to phone West Marine this morning about a shipping problem.

1) Got through to a person without a long wait

2) That person went out of their way to help, including phoning Fedex for me.

I also had cause to call Defender a while ago and they were helpful too.

So both companies score pretty highly as far as I'm concerned.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 19:17   #7

yeah, wm gets bashed a lot but it's about the only place still around to go look at the product in the flesh, (other than on occasion, a few mom and pop stores still n business.) I think it's good to try to support both when possible.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 20:31   #8

My exerience with WM has been quite positive. I can remember when Randy opened up his first store in Palo Alto, Calif. Their bargain store in Oakland was a must visit. I've always shpped around for the best deals and it was my experience that WM matched prices with anything I found and they had a no questions asked return policy.
My return to the US and the help I received from the WM staff in West Palm Beach was great.

Not having a boat anymore, I don't visit them just my two cents.
Old 26-10-2011, 02:27   #9

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Have no connection with WM, other than as a satisfied customer.
Tidbit that I found interesting. Which store location in the US would you think was the most successful sales-wise for the last 2 years?, or so the banner says.
Buford Georgia, on Lake Lanier.
Old 26-10-2011, 03:30   #10

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch

The locally owned places around here have much better prices and so far, great service. i don't shop at the walmart of the sea.
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 05:13   #11

Boat: Tayana 42

I buy a lot of stuff from Defender and Jamestown, but I also go to West Marine as well. I totally agree it is great to have a local store where you can actually see products as well as buy something quickly. I have pulled up items on my cell phone from Defender at the checkout at WM and they have matched the prices without any hassle.
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 14:24   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

when you need something now, it's worth a little more to go somewhere that probably has it
Old 26-10-2011, 14:52   #13

Never buy tools, sandpaper, paint brushes, or engine oil at WM. If you have questions, wait your turn to ask the one with the gray beard, every WM has one. Always go to electronic stores, because, not only do they have better deals they can answer more guestions.
Beware of stores that display their mission statement.
Old 26-10-2011, 14:57   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

glad you guys have had succh goood luck with wm...cannot say same except in 2 instances since 1990. the last one was in fla-- the nv light for bow we hd corroded and died within 3 months, so we were le to replace gratis. we got lucky--we didnt kno date of purchase and went in and found e were 2 days out from no mo warrantee..
but in general-----i get a far better deal elsewhere thankyou.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 15:05   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 33

I have almost always had positive experiences with WM. Other than the fact that they don't stock enough of rigging stuff. Good luck having to buy more than 2 of anything, but then they will order it for you.

They have always had a great return policy.

As far as the comment on the electronics, it all depends on who you get. Some are much more knowledgeable. As far as having to know all or at least most of their stock, I feel that they do quite well.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote