Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 08:41   #391

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Urgent help needed to recover abandoned yacht NW Barbados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post

Did they have a life raft? I may have missed that? .
Yes:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...2&d=1483281119
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:59   #392
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The story is fine.

I met with James a few days ago in St Martin and he is fine.

Yes, I had questions about why he was not forthcoming with details.

But he had posted them here but a moderator deleted them without his knowledge.
Not quite.
Quote:
Didn't really want to put any of the boat details or pics on a public forum in case any chancers try to stake claim of my vessel
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:04   #393
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Urgent help needed to recover abandoned yacht NW Barbados

Quote:
because I don't understand this story.... do you?
I think they used the liferaft in the rescue transfer.. avoid damage to them and the rescue boat.. if memory serves.
Believe that's why they waited instead of abandoning to the first ship on the scene.. he hoped to effect a return to the boat for recovery.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:09   #394

+1 on bob-lauriem comment. More detail on Perfect Storm recovery. They had the benefit of a coastline and a sandy landing point. "The next day he set out for yet another small coastal airport and hired another plane. They flew all day and again could not locate the boat. On Tuesday he drove on to the next airport down the coast and hired a plane to continue the search. This day they were lucky and located her once again. Once more he hired a fast boat and went back out and couldn't find her. Part of the difficulty with locating Satori was that the planes Ray hired did not have sophisticated navigational equipment. He could only estimate her location by using a dead reckoning. On Wednesday he hired a special ocean surface search aircraft equipped with down seeking radar, and a GPS. The plane was based out of Cape Cod and was used to spot schools of whales. While the specially equipped plane searched for Satori 25 miles off shore, another smaller plane Ray had hired was combing the nearby beaches. The smaller plane spotted her on the beach at Maryland's Assateaque State Park. At the same time State Park rangers also found Satori. The orange waterproof bag of personal belongings, which had been torn off in the evacuation, was still on the deck." A captain who clearly took care of his vessel... More on westsail owners http://www.westsail.org/satoristorm
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:21   #395

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Spade rudders are historically and by their design the weak point on any boat.. reasons vary from Marque to Marque but.. its one of the reasons I prefer skeg mounted rudders.
Just the way they are constructed is flawed.. the cheapo crash helmet method of two halves glued together.. a good bash and next thing you know its split in half and ones brains are seeping all over the road..
Why do you think all road safety experts say.. if you bash your helmet in any way buy a new one.. less mess to mop up..
Now think of all the time your rudder bashes things and your not even aware of it.. no impact alarm on the AP..
Agreed. On the Rudder Failure thread Kemp linked to another Hanse owner stated that upon inspection his rudder was suffering from electrolysis damage. However, the failure of the fiberglass reported by the OP of that thread appears to be the exact same failure experienced by Jim. It's sad when you entrust your family to a purpose built boat of this quality & it fails because of an apparent design flaw that the builder was aware of.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:52   #396

Quote:
because I don't understand this story.... do you?
Before you run your mouth off, why don't you read the families account. It's all here...

https://westerlyadventures.wordpress.../01/03/day-18/

DW
ARumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:07   #397
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think Satori is still out there with someone sailing her?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 14:55   #398

Hi, I've just been made aware of your plight. My wife and I lost our rudder crossing the Atlantic a few years ago when we hit a semi-submerged object. We completed the remaining 1500 miles to St Lucia steering with a drogue made of warps, fenders and an anchor. It took a while learning how to set the sails to get our yacht to go downwind. If you can get hold of the December 2015 issue of Yachting World, there's an article explaining all about it.
Patmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 15:46   #399

Quote:
Spade rudders are historically and by their design the weak point on any boat.. reasons vary from Marque to Marque but.. its one of the reasons I prefer skeg mounted rudders.
Just the way they are constructed is flawed.. the cheapo crash helmet method of two halves glued together.. a good bash and next thing you know its split in half and ones brains are seeping all over the road..
Why do you think all road safety experts say.. if you bash your helmet in any way buy a new one.. less mess to mop up..
Now think of all the time your rudder bashes things and your not even aware of it.. no impact alarm on the AP..
Boatie I agree with you on the general weak link of the chain spade rudders being built by the large production builders but a spade rudder can be built every bit as strong or stronger than a skeg hung rudder. The builders just choose not to spend the additional money to build a real strong rudder system. Hanse has lots of company when it comes to building a less than robust rudder system but one has to keep in mind that these builders are under a lot of financial pressure to keep their products as inexpensive as possible.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 16:07   #400
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Boatie I agree with you on the general weak link of the chain spade rudders being built by the large production builders but a spade rudder can be built every bit as strong or stronger than a skeg hung rudder. The builders just choose not to spend the additional money to build a real strong rudder system. Hanse has lots of company when it comes to building a less than robust rudder system but one has to keep in mind that these builders are under a lot of financial pressure to keep their products as inexpensive as possible.
True.. its a shame that the customer chose's an expensive comfortable stylish saloon to lol around in comfortably.. as opposed to something so integral to ones survival and protection of ones investment as the steering..
Can't see car manufacturers getting away with blatantly unsafe steering or brakes..
And they're advertised as Blue Water Yachts.. gorra larf..

Old 08-01-2017, 16:20   #401

Quote:
True.. its a shame that thke customer chose's an expensive comfortable stylish saloon to lol around in comfortably.. as opposed to something so integral to ones survival and protection of ones investment as the steering..
Can't see car manufacturers getting away with blatantly unsafe steering or brakes..
And they're advertised as Blue Water Yachts.. gorra larf..
Personally I think the average buyer does more due diligence when buying a flat screen TV than a new sailboat. These boats are purchased from the inside out and the builders know that. They build them just good enough and in most cases that seems to work but every now and then, not so much. We both know that even a boat like a Catalina 27 can be called an offshore boat because a couple of them have sailed around the world so as long as you don't get unlucky and you use some common sense you'll probably make it. Shame it happened to this young family, fortunately they are all safe which is the important thing.
Old 08-01-2017, 16:32   #402
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I blame it on the phoney CE rating system regulated and set by the manufacturers.. another bad policy introduced/created by Brussels.
I mourn the loss of the old built to Lloyds Standard where designs were scrutinised and every stage of build was checked by their surveyors.

Old 08-01-2017, 17:03   #403

the lost boat was a ???? built in what year?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 17:20   #404
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp View Post
It seems rudder failures on Hanse boats are not something new... WARNING! Rudder manufacturing fault? - myHanse - Hanse Yachts Owners Forum - Page 1
Quote:
the lost boat was a ???? built in what year?
A Hanse.. see link above.. not sure what year but not that old I think.

Old 08-01-2017, 17:23   #405

Quote:
I blame it on the phoney CE rating system regulated and set by the manufacturers.. another bad policy introduced/created by Brussels.
I mourn the loss of the old built to Lloyds Standard where designs were scrutinised and every stage of build was checked by their surveyors.
You know a lot more than me on this stuff but I certainly remember Lloyds as our boat is certified by them, CE I'm still learning about.