Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 06:19   #646

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Urgent help needed to recover abandoned yacht NW Barbados

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
If you had a wind vane could that act as an emergency rudder?

EDIT:

In fact yes. Just watched a few videos of windpilot, hydrovane etc.. one the feature is the ability to use it as an emergency rudder. Probably a bit more useful than a dedicated emergency rudder?
A windvane emergency rudder is only a % of the area of the main rudder area and is a fine control device WHILE the main rudder is still present. HOWEVER, in many cases of rudder failure the main rudder is either lost or dropped or otherwise compromised. Then your windvane rudder is too small to control the boat BUT it is a good first line of defense and together with other methods and with some sail mods may help you get to B anyways.

Still, notice only two makes have anything like a rudder out there: the Hydrovane and the Windpilot (only the biggest one though).

Since having a windvane is often associated with serious offshore sailing, other than buying the 'right' windvane I would also consider buying a boat that is designed to minimise the risk of a critical ruder failure. There are both older and very modern designs of that ilk.

Setting off in a boat that is likely to have any rudder challenges is simply the wrong choice for an offshore going sailor.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:25   #647
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexd83 View Post
Suppose that rudder could not be rigged and the boat had to be abandoned. What can be done to ease the search and recovery of the boat? it may be beneficial for new sailors to like me.
Good question and it, for me, is an easy answer.

He left his engine running when he got off and didn't have adiquite solar to keep batteries charged.

If I abandoned, I would hope to turn off the engine, turn off all electrics except the AIS and bilge pump. Secure all hatches. Drop all sails.
My solar will keep the batteries at 100% so the AIS would continue to operate forever.

The important point is "hope" to do all those things but in an abandonment onto a ship or helicopter its very very very likely I would be using the engine to maneuver to get close to the cargo net without being crushed to death. Get close, jump onto the net and climb like hell. Where's the chance to cut the engine?
So unless you have solar to keep the boat going you're stuffed.

Also, in the abandonment do you really think you've got the thought process to turn the fridge off, run through some check list etc? I reckon my mind would be fried and I would just be thinking about saving my bum.

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:30   #648

Boat: SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Placing a heavy OB into a lowish mount in a seaway would be difficult. You need a decent supply of gas as well.

You might be able to use some sort of hardware to drop a barn door type rudder from above and use with a tiller... assuming you lost the main steering.
I´ve got a sugarscoop boat, and my outboard only weights 28 kg. so it´s not so difficult to lower it with the boom extension, but, as I said, I´ve only done it in calm waters.

Mariano

Fair winds
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:33   #649
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
... Also, in the abandonment do you really think you've got the thought process to turn the fridge off, run through some check list etc? I reckon my mind would be fried and I would just be thinking about saving my bum.
Indeed. I also.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:39   #650
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Urgent help needed to recover abandoned yacht NW Barbados

Quote:

He left his engine running when he got off and didn't have adiquite solar to keep batteries charged.

If I abandoned, I would hope to turn off the engine, turn off all electrics except the AIS and bilge pump. Secure all hatches. Drop all sails.
My solar will keep the batteries at 100% so the AIS would continue to operate forever.

The important point is "hope" to do all those things but in an abandonment onto a ship or helicopter its very very very likely I would be using the engine to maneuver to get close to the cargo net without being crushed to death. Get close, jump onto the net and climb like hell. Where's the chance to cut the engine?
So unless you have solar to keep the boat going you're stuffed.

Also, in the abandonment do you really think you've got the thought process to turn the fridge off, run through some check list etc? I reckon my mind would be fried and I would just be thinking about saving my bum.

Mark.. most abandons I've been near enough to monitor over the VHF they usually encourage the folks to move to the life raft/dinghy for retrieval.. this incudes helo pick ups.
The ship moves to lie beam on upwind and drifts down to the raft in its lee and heaving lines are thrown to pull the raft close for disembarking.
When you think of it this is much safer especially if there's a big swell running.. there's a lot of boat and mast that can get you as you clamber up that net.
There's a thread at the moment that demonstrates the hazards of big swell in a calm sea off Sines, Portugal at the moment where a pilots trying to board.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 15:23   #651

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

Same here, but I'd also keep my Delorme Inreach switched on and plugged in to a charging socket in the saloon. That way you remove the "search" element completely from the "search and recovery".
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 16:24   #652
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:

I think after following much of this thread, if it did happen to me, I'd hope to remember to drop my anchor out as far as possible. The rest, who knows.
Old 11-02-2017, 18:15   #653

Boat: Boatless at the moment

This topic learned me the lesson that my boat needs a main switch that disconnect everything from the batteries exept the Solar charge circuit, the Tracker (Yellowbrick, Inreach) and the AIS, this switch needs to be operated from the cockpit.

Something like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safety_switch.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	141043  
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 20:22   #654

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Still, notice only two makes have anything like a rudder out there: the Hydrovane and the Windpilot (only the biggest one though).
There's also the Autohelm (not to be confused with the electronic kit) sold now by Scanmar. It has a sturdy aux rudder, and would suffice to steer if one reduced sail as required and trimmed carefully.

Jim
Old 11-02-2017, 20:33   #655

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
If you had a wind vane could that act as an emergency rudder?

EDIT:

In fact yes. Just watched a few videos of windpilot, hydrovane etc.. one the feature is the ability to use it as an emergency rudder. Probably a bit more useful than a dedicated emergency rudder?

Figured the same here. The photos of the boat that was lost in this thread sports some sort of fold down door of sorts across her transom.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:46   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
There's also the Autohelm (not to be confused with the electronic kit) sold now by Scanmar. It has a sturdy aux rudder, and would suffice to steer if one reduced sail as required and trimmed carefully.

Jim
+1! bump

Indeed looks the man for the job too!

b.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:01   #657

To the poster who wants to abandon and collect later: leave the Spot, CLS, YB, InReach, etc. ON.

Preferably plugged into a solar panel too.

b.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:12   #658
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Urgent help needed to recover abandoned yacht NW Barbados

This may be of interest to folks following this Thread..
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ea-179897.html

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:52   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
The Auto helm has been around a very long time, too bad it looks like it was made in a Russian tractor factory.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:35   #660

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Watching the clip in an earlier post of the drogue and the cost, effectiveness, and it's multipurpose. Seems like a no brainer to me. I assume it would be just as effective or more so on a cat ?