Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2023, 09:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
USVI Charters can't go to BVI

We are going back to a charter company that we like in the USVI. We were disappointed to hear that we can't go to the BVI.

As far as I'm following it, BVI has either created regulations or are now aggressively enforcing old regulations on USVI based charter companies.

https://newsofstjohn.com/bvi-update-...ping-it-local/

I suppose its a way of BVI "encouraging" people to use their charter companies. There is some word that its supposed to be resolved in early 2023. Anybody have an update.

We are still going to have fun. Probably a sail over to St. Croix and back depending on weather windows. Bay hop around St. John.
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 10:07   #2

Re: USVI Charters can't go to BVI

Actually, they're requiring even the BVI boats to be "up to snuff". A while ago they locked down hundreds of boats in the BVI.

Each both (USVI or BVI) must meet the BVI safety standards and be certified. Some USVI companies have all their boats certified, some only have part of their fleet and I think I read that some don't have any of their fleet certified.

Definitely something you have to check when chartering from USVI and you're wanting to go to BVIs.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 10:15   #3

Boat: Beneteau 331
Re: USVI Charters can't go to BVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
Actually, they're requiring even the BVI boats to be "up to snuff". A while ago they locked down hundreds of boats in the BVI.

Each both (USVI or BVI) must meet the BVI safety standards and be certified. Some USVI companies have all their boats certified, some only have part of their fleet and I think I read that some don't have any of their fleet certified.

Definitely something you have to check when chartering from USVI and you're wanting to go to BVIs.
There was an interesting bit in the article about the standards. All US charter boats are USCG certified, but they want them to also be Blue/Yellow Code, which is BVI safety requirements.

The article goes into some depth as to what it takes to get all necessary certs and regs taken care of.
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, charter