Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2024, 18:52   #1

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Very Fortunate Rescue

The following story happened in the north west of the State we are in now, in Australia: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-...cued/103752360

Couple fishing in dinghy, when something happened to toss them into the water, and the dinghy sunk. They were just heads floating on the surface of the water, when the folks with the kayaks rescued them. Lots of people must have been involved, because the dinghy was also refloated, and the o/b will need attention promptly.

Ann
Old 26-04-2024, 19:52   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Very Fortunate Rescue

Glad they're OK. It's an interesting report and close to home in that I have a similar "tinny." I've never thought of it as a particularly unstable boat or one unusually susceptible to capsize.

Among the more common capsize/swamping scenarios with boats that size is attempting to retrieve the anchor over the stern. The combination of the weight of the motor, the anchor, and the person doing the retrieving can pull the transom close enough to the water to allow a wave to board, particularly given that most such boats have very little freeboard at the transom so as to be able to accommodate short-shaft outboard. On such boats the anchor should always be retrieved from a location as close to the bow as practicable, and not everyone knows that.

Does Australia require level flotation in small boats as the USCG does? Mine has floats under each thwart/seat and a third one under the bow deck, supposedly enough floatation to keep the gunwales bobbing at the surface when the boat is completely swamped, even in fresh water, even with a motor and battery fitted.

Usually it's "motorboat rescues kayak," not the other way around.

An interesting cultural difference is that the USCG would never be caught making a public statement encouraging the general boating public to be aware of their surroundings in case someone else needs help, due to the professionalization/moneitization of rescue and towing in the USA.
Old 26-04-2024, 20:03   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Two people in the water, two miles from shore in strong currents. Super lucky to be seen, situation recognised by the onlooker and then action to rescue.

(I don't think anyone will be too worried about prompt service for the outboard Ann: they should get to the nearest Lotto shop!)

I can't answer Jammer's specific question about Aussie Coastguard's requirements for dinghies, but it's a very different type of organisation to USCG, as all members are volunteers. Nor is it a branch of the military. Also the various state Coastguards are only partially funded by Govt so need to fund raise. Needless to say I guess too is that ASG has no power to legislate, only suggest guidelines.
Old 26-04-2024, 21:22   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@Jammer,

No, flotation is not required for dinghies. A lot of Some people have it, though. Or, if it is it would, in these States, by State, by some safety authority. Grant is correct: Australia does not have a military funded Coast Guard. They have predominantly volunteer marine rescues, just like they have rural volunteer fire fighters. Yes, the taxes are higher than in America, AND local people are expected all over, to help out when and as needed. It makes for a more cohesive feel, compared to the US, imo.

Ya know, the story doesn't tell us what happened, but Jammer's remarks about pulling up the anchor, especially if they were doing it from astern, and weren't paying attention to how far the stern went down, could explain it. I do sort of wonder how it happened. Very scary, for sure.

Ann
Old 26-04-2024, 22:39   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

Those aluminium dingies are so light that just one person moving right out to the side are sometimes enough to capsize them.
Old 26-04-2024, 23:24   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I don't think I would call Port Sorell 'North West Tasmania' - it's east of Devonport.
Top little cruising destination that few cruisers visit - which is what makes it so good.
Go easy on the oysters - you will have nightmares.

Tags
rescue