Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2012, 16:09   #16
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Viking Outpost in Baffin Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
These courageous Northern Europeans who had the most technologically superior sailing vessels in the Old World were not the simple plunderers as many believe, but sophisticated traders who help connect the Old World with the New.
I guess part of the answer is whose history you are telling / learning - in England the Vikings were principly plunderers. and therefore in this part of the world they were known for that rather than for any epic voyaging and hence that aspect of history being taught (they likely were also nice to their mums - which probably does get taught in Scandinavia ......but can't teach every last bit of world history to everyone, there's a lot of it!).

IIRC the Viking history taught to me at school did include reference to their voyaging to Iceland and Greenland (and that the Viking voyages were not to be sniffed at). Not sure if there was any reference to the new world though - but 30 odd years back perhaps no reason to? However no mention was made of their explorations into Eastern Europe ......probably for the reason that the History taught was "us" centric.

But given that nothing came of the Viking discovery of the New World (if that is what they actually did) I can understand why not much is made of it by those who live in the New World as the Columbus era and onwards events were far more relevant to the folks who now live there - besides I hear that in some parts of the New World their is still doubt in some schools over how old rocks are , so perhaps folks in funny hats visiting is wayyy too contentious to add to the curiculum - especially if their arrival predates the rocks .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 17:20   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I just read an interesting paper called the Rise and Fall of the Vikings. Interesting. It seems that ice in the ocean became a major problem to navigation to/from Iceland during the Little Ice Age. Also the temp. drop killed farming in both Greenland and Iceland. Actually, many Icelanders immigrated to the area where I live.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 17:27   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
so perhaps folks in funny hats visiting is wayyy too contentious to add to the curiculum - especially if their arrival predates the rocks .
LOL

There was mention of the Greenlanders moving on to Markland (Newfoundland). I wonder if that accounts for the distinct NFL accent (language?). Especially of 50 yrs ago and earlier...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 17:47   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

One of the very early explorers to Gernland reported two types of locals. One clearly Inuit as we know it. But another distinct group that were fairer and who had some western cultural attributes such as a desire for salt. Viljamar Stephenson quoted this in one of his books.

Various reasons have been up forth for their demise. All those noted above but also that there were strong trade restrictions by the Danes, who then forgot about them. This seems somewhat supported by some church documents.

I think the last recorded contact was in 1451 or thereabouts when an Icelander shipwrecked on Greenland, and fell for a local girl. He made his way back to Iceland with his bride.

IIRC, the very first " modern" contact found a recently dead Greenlander who was the last of the race.

The one who seems to make the least sense of this is ( unfortunately) Jared Dismond. He goes pretty far off the ledge saying Vikings would not eat fish in Greenland. Whereas folks who excavated remains in Newfoundland told me they found lots of fish in the middens. I like a lot I of Diamond, but here at leat he is full of it.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 21:09   #20

I find this to be a very interesting topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Thanks for the link.
RE; The Vikings disappearance, perhaps they are all now in Valhala?
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 21:13   #21

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
RE; The Vikings disappearance, perhaps they are all now in Valhala?
Maybe they took a Mayan holiday.
Old 28-10-2012, 21:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmastern View Post
Maybe they took a Mayan holiday.
Why, I hadn't considered that. Could be.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 21:57   #23

Boat: Able 50

Nah, they all moved to England and became soccer fans.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 23:13   #24

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

Three recently published papers suggest the earth's climate during Medieval Warm Period was at at least as warm as it is today which would largely explain why the Vikings could venture so far North to trade. The Little Ice Age put an end to those activities.
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 00:01   #25

Boat: Lagoon 440

I wonder why these 'warm periods/mini ice ages' were to some extent treated as past history, never to happen again? Yet they had such great effect on life at the time, maybe DOW etal weren't in business back then.
History shows patterns and patterns don't conveniently 'just stop', i find the Viking history fascinating and appreciate this interesting thread greatly.

Frank