Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2020, 13:08   #1

Vikron BMV-712 vs Balmar SG-200

Hello sailors,

I need a decent battery monitor to be installed with certain urgency onboard my cat. After vast research and lot of tutorials, I can't decide between those two models (Vikron BMV-712 and Balmar SG-200).

The BMV-712 really calls my attention as it offers Bluetooth capability and an user friendly app making it super easy to monitor the batteries systems, and it would be my choice if wasn't for the fact that it shunt only allows for a House Bank and 1 single starter battery(voltage readings only) to be connected (My boat has two starter batteries.)

On the other hand, Balmar SG-200 allows me to connect House Bank plus my two starter batteries (voltage readings only), which is great. However, its BlueTooth function depends on the purchasing an additional expensive device, which I do not intent to buy..

Any thoughts on the subject are welcome! Thanks
erickmoraes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 14:05   #2

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Re: Vikron BMV-712 vs Balmar SG-200

I have two Victron BMV 712’s on both a van and a boat. I love them. On the van I installed a complete Victron system ie lithium battery, inverter, battery protects, Solar controller and CGX. It all works together very nicely and the BT functionality is great. On my boat everything is legacy stuff from a variety of manufacturers, nothing really talks to anything else but stills works great. Although I have the BMV712 and I love it, if I could do it over again I would try out the Balmar. Maybe even both for a while until I had confidence in the Balmar. I thing I love about the Balmar is that it is self learning once basic battery parameters are set. SOH and SOC are calculated. With the Victron you decide what 100% is and that may in the long run be misleading. Would love to hear what others have to say also.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 17:06   #3

I have a gaggle if victron equipment, all works great with great app and firmware support.

I have and SG200, bought as I thought it was intriguing. I had lead acid batteries then, but decided on LiFePO4 this time....the SG200 is OK, but honestly I feel like I paid to be a beta tester. I would not consider it without the BT dongle.

With my victron Orion smart dc-dc charger I can see the start battery and never even considered using the SG200 option - but my batteries are isolated and it would not work anyway.

In summary, I’d go victron -if I did I it over again.
two-rocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 17:22   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

The Victron will work and do exactly what you expect. And integrate with other victron devices in the future if you wish to go that way. The Balmar sounds good, but personally I’d wait until more people report it being more reliable.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2020, 18:12   #5

Boat: Columbia 50

The balmar is supposed to be MUCH more accurate in telling you what’s really happening with your bank. Check this out:

https://marinehowto.com/balmar-sg200...ttery-monitor/

I currently have a victron 702 (the non-Bluetooth version of the 712). When it tells me I am 60ah down, I start charging, charger is putting 15amps into the bank, and half an hour later the victron says I’m full.....not very real at all. Now I understand that’s mostly my fault, for not syncing the gauge, knowing exact pkeut.whatever value, etc., but I don’t WANT to have to go through all that crap.

I’m planning on swapping out to the Balmar. In fact, I’m going to order it right now, so anyone want to buy an almost new 702?

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar