Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 04:43   #46

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Virgin islands salvage vessels

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemoSabe View Post
Or maybe that gut instinct of someone phishing for info, then blasting me on the forum after said private messaging, was possibly what said gut was referring to.

Ill post more info once I have secured boat of interest. Thanks for the luck.
People are indeed trying to help you not getting into a very complicated situation. But you still think you are smarter than everyone else, and you lack the minimum amount of humble to face it. You are a one of a kind genius.

You might want to check the story of the German guy who purchased (LAST YEAR) an Irma or Maria cat (can't remember), worked very hard on getting it patched up, had a VERY hard time getting a rig, ended up getting one in Dominican Republic (after motoring with re-hashed previously submerged engines from Antigua and going through quite an ordeal), putting up, and loosing his boat as he headed towards the US after a dismast and more engine trouble.

Here, you can get some more perspective here:

https://www.facebook.com/sailing.samsara/

You need to approach this project with not only an insiders view at the lost hull situation, which is by itself something that requires quite a bit of insider's knowledge, but also from the perspective of sourcing the repairs, the parts, the missing rig, the sails, etc. Most of the leftovers have nothing left, since they have been already partially parted out for parts. You are in for a big big, complex adventure.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:57   #47

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

The problem with salvaging these boats is the very soft market in used boats. I have been tempted to take a look at some of these salvaged Beneteaus going for $5k-$20K but then I look at what I can get that has most everything working with no damage, and the numbers don't add up trying to fix one that needs a complete rebuild of the interior, structural damage, all electronics and mechanical systems, rigging, mast, sails, etc etc.

I just purchased a 44 ft sailboat in Mexico for $15K that needs a normal refit and a teak deck that needs removed, but still beautiful interior and a new engine, good sails, nice dingy with good running outboard, etc etc. There are deals out there that are not boats that have been sunk and decks wiped off is the only point i'm trying to make. Just a new mast, rigging and sails can easily be a $40k bill, and if it needs a new interior, well....that s a whole other story, can one rebuild one, of course, will it be more expensive than a good used boat with no damage? well thats the big question
Old 03-06-2019, 06:17   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
I have also said, consistently, since the beginning of this thread, that you are late to the party here in the BVI, and that I would be very surprised if you found something here that was worth purchasing or repairing. I have not blasted YOU, in any way. If I have blasted anyone, it would be whoever is telling you that some of the "best" boats are still available, here.
This is the curse of the optimistic dreamer. 10 people say "NO" with sound explanation, one guy says "Yes, it's possible", and the only thing a person hears is the "Yes".

Having skill and aptitude when someone else is handling the Accts Payable/Accts Receivable is not the same as actually making a totaled boat whole again.

There is a massive divide between possible and sensible.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:39   #49

Boat: Hunter 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
When I say good luck, I absolutely mean it, or I would not have said it.
I'm sure if you squint really hard, you can look at the events last night and understand why I thought the way I did. It wouldn't surprise me to be advocating a hidden gem, only to have others show interest based on that info. I don't need competition currently lol. Just costs me more money lol

I genuinely do appreciate all the info. But it has all been preliminary. I'm not a dreamer with a fat wallet. Im a hard worker with a middle of the road wallet lol. I will be boots on the ground in 2ish weeks and I'll be hands on looking.
KemoSabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:44   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL1981 View Post
I was in Simpson Bay marina for a week last month. Word around the marina was that the company ShoreSupport (based at the Simpson Bay Marina) has the contract to remove all of the remaining vessels from the French and Dutch sides of the lagoon. The number of vessels was stated to me as being 95 and they were to be removed within the next several months. Might be worth checking up on during your trip.
This is why I'm flying into St Maarten altogether. Thank you for the number, that's insane.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:14   #51

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72

Kemo,
We're Neighbors(NFM currently).
We own an Ivan totalled vessel fm. PCola.
It was ins. fraud, as the damage was absolutely minimal (hull scratches, 1 broken chainplate, damaged dodger & Bimini they'd cut off w/a recip saw), un-sunk & otherwise immaculate & completely loaded/equipped cond.

Bid & won via salvage direct, inc.(no longer in biz to best of my knowledge). Bought quite a few others after the storms of '04 & '05...did a LOT of demo & STILL selling 'parts'. Volunteered after Harvey & Hermine & Michael.

Somebody suggested looking NW @ Panama city. Good advice. Transport's cheap back to Placida (good DIY yards) & there are probably still some Ins. Owned DEALS over there. I've cut up more boats in this lifetime than most yard workers, raised more & restored more too. Doing so in another Country is a likely fools errand unless of course You plan on relocating there permanently?

Not trying to beat up on anybody's dream, however a couple FYI's:
1-It usually takes abt. 4-7 mos. for paperwork to get in order & Ins. Companies to finally get title & pursue auctioning off their damaged 'inventory'.
2-There HAVE TO BE an absolute plethora of savable vessels(WITH TITLES/Former US Documents which are easily re-instated), that are already in Your home state, and a days' drive to inspect/purchase/arrange shipping on, back to 'here'. SOME of the best deals may already be gone fm. the Panama city Area, however I'd bet my bottom dollar there are still a slew of them to our NW.
3-Make a call to PROGRESSIVE & GEICO....Find out who their liquidations companies are, websites & phone/contact info.
4-Review the possibilities;
5-Put Your Fanny in the car & "go Northwest my son!'
You can likely nail down a few serious options This Weekend.

Just Sayin'?
(from a guy who's "Been There, Done That", life long, going back to Hurricane ALLEN, 1980....no, I'm NOT a 'kid', however I DO have 4 totally restored formerly salvaged storm vessels, 2 of which I wouldn't bat an eye at circumnavigating, tomorrow?)

& Whatever You land on, IF You need parts, email me.....

Most Respectfully,
-Mick
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:24   #52

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42DS

KemoSabe,
Good luck with your search!

I picked up a demasted boat last year(not from and named storm) from an insurance auction. It sold for an amazing low price for a 10 year old vessel. Interior was very good, exterior hull/deck repairable, no rigging whatsoever.

I now have a fully restored vessel with new rigging/sails and all new updated electronics as well as new cockpit/dodger/Bimini/dingy/outboard. She is getting constant compliments from all walking the dock.

All for much less investment of a similar year vessel with the original rigging.

I’d venture that most of the naysayers dont have the knowledge or ability to do the more complicated repairs and are at the mercy of shipyards to do most work. That in itself would make most project boats an upside down prospect.

Having the knowledge, ability and time can turn out a very nice sailing vessel.

Best,
Mark
Old 03-06-2019, 07:28   #53

Part of the reason I have several boats to see in a few weeks is due to insurance companies, lol, actually its mostly all of the issue. Insurance companies are realizing they are still picking up the tab and are finalizing some vessels to be dealt with.

I haven't found ANYTHING worth while in panama but I would jump on that in a heartbeat if there was anything within my needs available (minimum 40 feet mono)

but to be honest the location makes it more obtainable being in the states, so competition is higher. Most others are defeated mentally rather quickly trying to compute the logistics alone on the BVI boats. This brings me a cheaper boat. I import cars as a form of secondary income, so that is my forte in a manner and frankly shipping a boat back to florida is literally cake.

I do have some questions. Ill buy the beer Mick.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:32   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillard View Post
KemoSabe,
Good luck with your search!

I picked up a demasted boat last year(not from and named storm) from an insurance auction. It sold for an amazing low price for a 10 year old vessel. Interior was very good, exterior hull/deck repairable, no rigging whatsoever.

I now have a fully restored vessel with new rigging/sails and all new updated electronics as well as new cockpit/dodger/Bimini/dingy/outboard. She is getting constant compliments from all walking the dock.

All for much less investment of a similar year vessel with the original rigging.

I’d venture that most of the naysayers dont have the knowledge or ability to do the more complicated repairs and are at the mercy of shipyards to do most work. That in itself would make most project boats an upside down prospect.

Having the knowledge, ability and time can turn out a very nice sailing vessel.

Best,
Mark
THIS^

Thank you for the well wishing. I have my fingers crossed. Congrats on your hard work paying off!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:17   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
People are indeed trying to help you not getting into a very complicated situation. But you still think you are smarter than everyone else, and you lack the minimum amount of humble to face it. You are a one of a kind genius.

You might want to check the story of the German guy who purchased (LAST YEAR) an Irma or Maria cat (can't remember), worked very hard on getting it patched up, had a VERY hard time getting a rig, ended up getting one in Dominican Republic (after motoring with re-hashed previously submerged engines from Antigua and going through quite an ordeal), putting up, and loosing his boat as he headed towards the US after a dismast and more engine trouble.

Here, you can get some more perspective here:

https://www.facebook.com/sailing.samsara/

You need to approach this project with not only an insiders view at the lost hull situation, which is by itself something that requires quite a bit of insider's knowledge, but also from the perspective of sourcing the repairs, the parts, the missing rig, the sails, etc. Most of the leftovers have nothing left, since they have been already partially parted out for parts. You are in for a big big, complex adventure.
If you refer to my initial post, that's not what I want. Would you like to talk about money? or politics? how about your stance on abortions? I don't, and I also would like to lump the angle of the first paragraph of your post in with said topics.

Its not a lack of humility, its me writing it all down and willing to jump into it. Im not looking for the best deal. Just a deal. Im not looking to make money, im looking for a mid 40 foot vessel to refit and use. I also am in interest of something newer and not spending 200K, and yes it will cost me quite a bit, but I doubt 200K. Im doing 99% of the labor.

The response to contrail was based on him telling me he had no info on these vessels. Offering to give me more info on vessels he has no info on via private message while giving the appearance of phishing for info on possibly good deals that may have slipped beneath the rug, per his post following implying maybe he would go "look". He then followed up with him not having a dog in this fight and Im indifferent if he did.
I was just stating the sudden change in disposition following the events Ive stated and how it sat with me. Id buy him a beer when im in the BVI in a few weeks and happily talk it out, it just looked kinda weird the way it unfolded.

I disagree if you think that's helping. For the 19th time, Im not implying I know everything, nor will I say the help isn't well received. Ive thanked again and again to those who have helped. But if you are going to regurgitate the same warnings and hand waving, disregard and keep scrolling. I hear you. You are heard. Thanks. Seriously.

And please, don't assume my reception to your hand waving is a lack of humility, nor my intelligence. This is a forum, not a place to throw stones.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:30   #56

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemoSabe View Post
Part of the reason I have several boats to see in a few weeks is due to insurance companies, lol, actually its mostly-SNIP-
I do have some questions. Ill buy the beer Mick.

Already PM'ed You
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:02   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Kemo, let me be clear! I DON"T have a dog in the fight. I have a successful charter and instruction business, and that's how I spend my time, NOT looking for a boat to salvage. I said I didn't have any knowledge on the boats in Antigua or St. Maarten...haven't been to either since Irma. I also said that, given the fact that many boats from the BVI were shipped to Antigua, if you gave me the name, there was a chance I had known the boat when it was here, how it was damaged, etc. etc. etc, which I thought might be helpful to you. The principal surveyors here are all good friends or acquaintances and I thought I might also be able to dig something up, there. I am sorry I offered, as my offer has been so misinterpreted and twisted by you, although probably not by anyone else.

I said, in response to the claim that "some of the best boats are still available" that what's left is mostly in one place, and that I might go and check it out (15 minute drive), NOT to find a boat to fix (last thing I want or need), but simply to see if I was giving out correct information, which is what I always try to do. So, with your permission (or without), I am going to go look at the boats in my backyard. The only reason I used a PM was because I rightly thought you wouldn't want to name the boat in public. It had not occurred to me that this would inspire an accusation of phishing. But, of course, the old adage says that "No good deed ever goes unpunished". Has my attitude changed? My patience is considerable. It's not unlimited.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:43   #58

I'm legitimately back private messaging to salvage this amazing train wreck of a thread. If a moderator wants to delete it I'd prefer it

Tags
salvage, Virgin Islands