Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2020, 12:05   #31

Boat: Piper Comanche 250
Re: We have a winner!

Sorry guys, on the arrogance meter I think pilots have sailors beat. I’m a wannabe sailor while still plying the skies in my Comanche. Check out the Comanche Flyers forum if you want to see real hubris. Sailors have too much emotion intelligence to win the arrogance award. Don’t know about the size of your masts.
I think I read the average IQ in Montana just spiked up.....something about all those Montanans leaving for California.
Tomoonifly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 17:15   #32

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I seem to recall a MacGregor 26X winning the Newport to Ensenada Race one year.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 17:17   #33

Boat: Spindrift 43

He stirred up a respectable frenzy then left.. like a boss. Makes me almost want a MacGregor!!

And I’ve done the pilot forums too, but this is a lot more fun.

Needledick...you’ve been reading my mail?!!!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 18:37   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I will interject one thing about the MacGregor's though (did I spell that right?)

Ah, the grocer's apostrophe.

What's a MacGregor's "though"?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 20:10   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
I seem to recall a MacGregor 26X winning the Newport to Ensenada Race one year.
Yeah - but he was using his engine to plane the boat so was DSQ'd...

Haw-haw-haw
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 23:23   #36

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischgrund View Post
"Needle-dick"? I guess you have assumed, in your arrogance, that there are no women members of the forum.
Hey now. Obviously that meant he has no beef with the women here. Our advice and egos are beyond reproach.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 00:28   #37

Boat: Ranger 22 #207

The reason they were so inexpensive is because they are so poorly made. My 26M was a 2011 that had been stored covered its entire life and I still had to re-seal the entire hull-deck joint because it leaked constantly. MacGregor made a big deal about his glued and bolted H-D joint and when I pulled off the rub strip, it was indeed bolted, but not only did the bolts have undersized washers and had cracked the glass, the joint was filled by a strip of open-cell foam tape that was entirely saturated with water. This brings me onto the thing that gets me about the Big Mac; all the marketing BS. Towable behind a family sedan? Maybe if the boat was 100% empty of all belongings, fuel, and water and if you used a car known for its higher than average towing capacity like they did in the promotional videos. My 26M with the lighter aluminium trailer had a typical trailering weight just shy of 4000lbs, and it's a lot more for the first few feet up the ramp in order to allow the ballast to drain. Moreover, good ol' Roger knew that the Hunter Edge was vastly superior and he just couldn't stand it. I've sailed on an Edge and can confirm that it sails and motors way better than the Mac while delivering a better helm, crew, and camping experience. Basically MacGregor's strategy later on was to just slam its competitors like the Edge with completely unjust and groundless insults to make his own boat look better. Theres a whole website of his paper thin arguments somewhere that I can't seem to find anymore. Seems as though most MacGregor owners have taken this same philosophy to heart and it's just kind of pathetic and sad at this point. As I said before, OP should fit right in.
HellBentSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 03:03   #38

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb Tide View Post
...You make the Porsche forum look like a quilting club.
There's a Porsche forum?
Old 29-08-2020, 09:27   #39

Boat: Tartan 3000

Doubt the OP is from Montana. California sure but not Montana.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 11:16   #40

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Ah, the grocer's apostrophe.

What's a MacGregor's "though"?
Sigh, I'm always paranoid a'bout the content of my post's, now I have to worry about th'eir punctuation, too? O'bviously, Sister Brimstone did not do her job proper'ly.
Old 29-08-2020, 11:47   #41

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
Hmmm, interesting observation as I was thinking he hailed from Brooklyn
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 07:21   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb Tide View Post
This may not be the best introduction for a newbie, but here goes-

I stumbled across this site while doing homework searching for my first sailboat. I have had powerboats since I was a teenager, and have dabbled in sailing, windsurfing, kiteboarding, and whitewater rafting most of my life. I recently moved to the Central Coast of California after 30 years in Montana, primarily to check sailing off my bucket list.

I am also a lifelong car guy, mechanic, fabricator, and welder, and built my own race car that has set ten records at Bonneville and two at El Mirage. In my younger days, I was a 5.11C lead climber, podium-finishing mountain bike racer, and multi-continent adventure bike motorcyclist.

I say this not to be cocky, but to give an indication of of experience and breadth of interests.

Before I moved to the Morro Bay area, I didn't have any indication of how difficult it would be to find a slip on the coast. After some digging, I learned that the waiting list for a slip was five to eight years. I might not live that long, so I had the wacky idea of posting a "wanted" ad on Craigslist looking for a slip, with or without a boat.

Long story short is that an elderly gentleman reached out to me with a sad story that he had a MacGregor 26X that he had spent twelve years prepping as a retirement coastal live-aboard, only to have health issues cut his dream short.

The price was fair, the slip location was outstanding, and the upgrades that he had made alone far outweighed the asking price.

I knew the 26X wasn't the Ferrari of sailboats, but as an accomplished boater and novice sailor, it seemed like a good fit, especially with the modern electronics, upgrades, 20 HP dinghy, and new 50 HP four stroke he had fitted. I was stoked!

Which brings me to my point. I stumbled across this page because it appeared in a Google search for "cruising MacGregor 26X". Be it known, that as a lifelong car guy, machinist, fabricator, climber and racer, I have come across some pompous know-it-alls in my life.

But let me assure you, this forum has a more sizable accumulation of look-down-your-nose, arrogant, opinionated, needle-dick, insecure snobs than on any page I have ever encountered. You make the Porsche forum look like a quilting club.

Happy sailing...

Needle dick...I love it! That's my favorite line.

I don't know who said what to piss you off, but I'll give you my unrequested observation/opinion. You mentioned "racer" as one of your interests. If you were comparing boats to motor vehicles, the MacGregor is sort of the Mini Winnie (Winnebago) of boats in respect to performance. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, it's just not a performance sailing vessel as opposed to something of similar size, let's say a J/80.
izzyforreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 08:15   #43

Boat: catalina 36, 1987

All complaints aside...one of the main problems in this post is the same problem I'm having in San Diego harbor. The lack of slips and number of boats is incredible. Consequently the price for a slip go up and up. Sadly it's pushing people out of the possibility of boat ownership.
cogar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 08:20   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
"I have had powerboats since I was a teenager... built my own race car that has set ten records at Bonneville and two at El Mirage. In my younger days, I was a 5.11C lead climber, podium-finishing mountain bike racer, and multi-continent adventure bike motorcyclist."

"But let me assure you, this forum has a more sizable accumulation of look-down-your-nose, arrogant, opinionated, needle-dick, insecure snobs than on any page I have ever encountered. You make the Porsche forum look like a quilting club."

Looks like you'll be right at home then...
//

Many a true word is spoken in earnest......
[though allowing a brmm-brmm boy to set the value of the forum is unwarranted.]

Brian W
betwys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 08:23   #45

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
Says he spent 30 years in Montana, sure sounds like a goat roper to me.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote