Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2020, 13:05   #46

Re: We have a winner!

Welcome home!

We do our worst to make you feel:
* incompetent to stumble along behind your walking-upright out-of-the-jungle betters,
* incapable of changing your diapers without adult supervision, and
* generally proving you don't have enough money or the good sense the gods gave a doorknob.

And your mother dresses you funny.

[ note to old-timers: Fresh meat! ]
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 13:24   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I will interject one thing about the MacGregor's though (did I spell that right?) [snipped]
For literally years and years, I searched for a decent though.

But I'm particular.
My ideal though has to be owned by an elderly machinist.
Before illness crushed his dreams.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 14:03   #48

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb Tide View Post

I knew the 26X wasn't the Ferrari of sailboats, but as an accomplished boater and novice sailor, it seemed like a good fit, especially with the modern electronics, upgrades, 20 HP dinghy, and new 50 HP four stroke he had fitted. I was stoked!

Which brings me to my point. I stumbled across this page because it appeared in a Google search for "cruising MacGregor 26X". Be it known, that as a lifelong car guy, machinist, fabricator, climber and racer, I have come across some pompous know-it-alls in my life.

But let me assure you, this forum has a more sizable accumulation of look-down-your-nose, arrogant, opinionated, needle-dick, insecure snobs than on any page I have ever encountered. You make the Porsche forum look like a quilting club.

Happy sailing...
Impressive background indeed! The McGregor should be fine for blue ocean cruising and Hawaii isn't that far. Just don't quote me on that, as I'm just like the rest of us out here
Old 31-08-2020, 14:54   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogar View Post
All complaints aside...one of the main problems in this post is the same problem I'm having in San Diego harbor. The lack of slips and number of boats is incredible. Consequently the price for a slip go up and up. Sadly it's pushing people out of the possibility of boat ownership.
Surely, about the only selling point of a MacGregor is that it is trailerable.

If you're going to keep it in a slip, what does it have going for it as a sailboat (the OP did say he wanted a sailboat)?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 18:41   #50

Boat: Island Packet 40

There is a market for these hybrid types of vessels and I once considered selling my yacht and buying one.

The circumstances were that I lived in a place where there were numerous desirable but limited cruising grounds which were best reached via the highways. A seagull flies cruise around the State if Western Australia is about 3,000 nautical miles. Most of the coast is pretty boring but there are some very interesting little jewels interspersed between the boring bit.

Provided you could keep it together on the highways something like the subject vessel would be ideal for this mixed highway/seaway cruising.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 18:49   #51

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Well, we’re probably no worse than your average waterside bar, without the risk of gunplay. And we never close.
Old 31-08-2020, 18:51   #52

I think this is a great forum.

You do have the good the bad and the ugly.

Still all a great read and a lot of good info.

My next boat will be a motorsailor and i do know what most say about them.

All in good fun

Cheers
jblogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:31   #53

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
This may not be the best introduction for a newbie, but here goes-

I stumbled across this site while doing homework searching for my first sailboat. I have had powerboats since I was a teenager, and have dabbled in sailing, windsurfing, kiteboarding, and whitewater rafting most of my life. I recently moved to the Central Coast of California after 30 years in Montana, primarily to check sailing off my bucket list.

I am also a lifelong car guy, mechanic, fabricator, and welder, and built my own race car that has set ten records at Bonneville and two at El Mirage. In my younger days, I was a 5.11C lead climber, podium-finishing mountain bike racer, and multi-continent adventure bike motorcyclist.

I say this not to be cocky, but to give an indication of of experience and breadth of interests.

Before I moved to the Morro Bay area, I didn't have any indication of how difficult it would be to find a slip on the coast. After some digging, I learned that the waiting list for a slip was five to eight years. I might not live that long, so I had the wacky idea of posting a "wanted" ad on Craigslist looking for a slip, with or without a boat.

Long story short is that an elderly gentleman reached out to me with a sad story that he had a MacGregor 26X that he had spent twelve years prepping as a retirement coastal live-aboard, only to have health issues cut his dream short.

The price was fair, the slip location was outstanding, and the upgrades that he had made alone far outweighed the asking price.

I knew the 26X wasn't the Ferrari of sailboats, but as an accomplished boater and novice sailor, it seemed like a good fit, especially with the modern electronics, upgrades, 20 HP dinghy, and new 50 HP four stroke he had fitted. I was stoked!

Which brings me to my point. I stumbled across this page because it appeared in a Google search for "cruising MacGregor 26X". Be it known, that as a lifelong car guy, machinist, fabricator, climber and racer, I have come across some pompous know-it-alls in my life.

But let me assure you, this forum has a more sizable accumulation of look-down-your-nose, arrogant, opinionated, needle-dick, insecure snobs than on any page I have ever encountered. You make the Porsche forum look like a quilting club.

Happy sailing...
My favorite post ever on the site.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:40   #54

Boat: Beneteau

Just sold my first boat to former McGregor owner. Also have other friends that have owned them. The majority of the people buying them know what they are getting and love them for it. I'm sure many owners move on to other boats. Funny thing is that with all of the McGregor boats out there I don't hear of all of the catastrophes. When I hear about the dangers of sailing as perceived by many posters on here I think back to the Swan owner calling for the Coast Guard in 2-3 metre seas because he had a leaky hatch.

My reading of the the Op is that he has some experience but not a ton of money or choice. That Swan owner was the total opposite.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:51   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Hey now. Obviously that meant he has no beef with the women here. Our advice and egos are beyond reproach.
Yes! As one of the guys advised on another thread, "listen to the chick"!

(I took no offense, since I'd referred to myself as a chick first.)

That was actually a fun thread. Wonder which one it was....

Oh and I note that Mr. WebbTide has bolted the traces.
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:12   #56

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Yes! As one of the guys advised on another thread, "listen to the chick"!

(I took no offense, since I'd referred to myself as a chick first.)

That was actually a fun thread. Wonder which one it was....

Oh and I note that Mr. WebbTime has bolted the traces.
LittleWing77

first time i've been thrown into a bag of needle-dicks

Max Planck said something to this effect: When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

given my needle-dick, let's say there are "snobs" among us,
seems to me that it is down to whether one LOOKS for them or not.

wolfie
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:51   #57

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Quote:
This may not be the best introduction for a newbie, but here goes-

Happy sailing...
Well, yeah, that’s what makes this place so fun.

But needle-dick.....NEEDLE DICK???!!!
Now I’m REALLY hurt.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:17   #58

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblogon View Post
I think this is a great forum.

You do have the good the bad and the ugly.
Still all a great read and a lot of good info.
My next boat will be a motorsailor and i do know what most say about them.
All in good fun
Cheers

Good post there. OK, at my Sail-Area to Displacement of 14 I really have a motorsailer (but I sail whenever possible). When the wind is over 15 knots it doesn't matter to have a low S/A, the other guys start reefing any way.

And we have a good number of power boat types on the forum, I've noticed. I didn't detect any dissing of my slow crab-crusher boat or of any of the power boats yet. It's not the boat, its the owner that makes the difference.

What people don't like are anyone who comes to the site with an "attitude". The OP would have had a fine post and earned much more respect for his sailing goals if he had simply had the good manners to omit the last couple paragraphs. With those he turned what might have been a helpful discussion into this ranting thread - which should be closed now that I've had my own say (ha)
Old 02-09-2020, 10:30   #59

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Guess the OP will find out about the Mac Gee, when he gets up close and personal with the strong winds and seas of the ocean in his new area of choice.

When I read his back ground, good on him, but when I read about him getting a MacGregor , I thought that he was inexperienced in sailing and was not making a good decision. Actually, there was concern for his safety and the safety of all on board.

Most of us have learned that the ocean does not love us, and a well found vessel and seamanship knowledge and experience is very important.

Another poster advised..... Get the slip, sell the MacGregor, and purchase a well found , sea worthy vessel . I doubt the OP will listen to that meaningful advice, until he gets the coon dog whompas knocked out him by an angry sea and violently strong winds. Macho does not mean jack, to mother nature.

We all want everyone to be safe, and understand SKIPPERS RESPONSIBILITY .
That includes the safety of the vessel, the skipper, crew, passengers and even other boats and people .

Out !
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:49   #60

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

He obviously missed his most famous accomplishments. The OP once flew inverted with his third medal of honor slapping him in the face, while he had an engine out condition, at night in the mountains.....still stuck the landing of course. Made Chuck Yeager and Bob Hoover envy with jealousy
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote