Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2020, 10:59   #16

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Well-known Rigger and Author Brion Toss has Died

Everyone in the sailing world and all who knew him will be saddened by the news. Brion can never be replaced. Nor would anyone even think to try. He is an icon in the PNW and renowned around the world.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:10   #17

Boat: Jason 35 cutter

No, no, NO! . . . I felt as if I had been punched in the chest as I read the OP. What a loss to those of us whose lives were touched by him. He was such a dear man with an infectious laugh , a lightning fast wit and a wordsmith nonpareil. The sailing community is fortunate that his encyclopedic knowledge of the craft he chose and lived with every fiber of his being lives on through his writings, sprinkled with his unique tongue-in-cheek humor. God will he be missed! Sail on Brion to that soft, veiled horizon. You may have left us behind in your wake but you will remain in our hearts long after the smooth disturbances caress the shore.
With sadness in my heart,
Roland
SaulTeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:18   #18

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I'm a grisly 82 year old man, and don't often cry, but when i read of Brians passing, the tear's flowed for quite some time, i felt such a Hugh loss, i first meet Brian in 1985, when going to the boat school, he was doing a rigging class, having spent 18 year's in P.T. after completing boat school, and working in the trade's, i did a number of his work shop's, and would pick his brain when needed, he always took the time to help me out, still working as a shipwright and rigger, i use his designed equipment and tool's, and of coarse his book, i would not be a rigger, if not for Brian, i always looked forward to talking to Brian when attending the Wooden boat fest, i will miss his wonderful sense of humor. As Budda said" everything changes,nothing remains without change" Doug Tiffany.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:30   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Brion always seemed to have a laugh or a chortle underlying every sentence he uttered. He was genuinely happy to be speaking with you, and never made you feel like you should know the precise term for some archaic rigging apparatus, despite the fact that he DID know the precise term and could speak eloquently about it.

Brion loved to be in front of an audience: at his shop or at a boat show, but he wasn't promoting himself so much as the love of all things related to rigging. Even if you had spliced one thousand double braided eye splices, he could show you half a dozen ways to do it neater, faster, stronger, without making you feel like you'd been doing it wrong all those years.

He was talented without being immodest; well-spoken without lecturing; and kind without reservation. Brion wrote like he spoke, and we're so lucky to have his books (and videos) to help remember his friendly voice and knowledgeable advice. Thanks, Brion, for being a friend an a wonderful example of a gentle person.
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:31   #20

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Have his book and slowly learning the craft of rigging. What a great source of knowledge. Rest In Peace Brion. You are one of the few men who left a legacy for many to follow in your wake.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 14:25   #21

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

I have some of his books, videos and tools, and they are some of my most used. The one time I made it to Port Townsend, hi shop was closed so I couldn't meet him. Sigh. Rest in Peace Brion.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 14:48   #22

Boat: Maxi 95, 31ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchiki View Post
I have some of his books, videos and tools, and they are some of my most used. The one time I made it to Port Townsend, hi shop was closed so I couldn't meet him. Sigh. Rest in Peace Brion.
‘‘Oh, that.’’

The pity is that as I was getting to know Brion I went by his shop and there was the sign. I told Brion I had come looking for him, but the shop was closed: there was a sign on the door.

Brion responded, ‘‘Oh, that,’’ and didn’t say anymore. I learned not to pay attention to the sign. He was often there working. Christian might be in the loft-office above and behind the area to the left as one walked into the shop.

He might have been there.
johnjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 15:09   #23

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Oh dear. He’s one of those people I think of as always being around.
So sorry to hear and best wishes for his closest.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:38   #24

Boat: 1985 Islander Freeport 38C aka IF38C

We never personally met Brion yet we benefited from his wisdom. He took the time to answer questions when we were trying to figure out the best way to get our aging bones up the mast. Not only did he provide technical knowledge but he encouraged us as he put it "...as someone who will be turning 65 in, um, three days, I would like to suggest that you can slow down strength loss, and even increase strength, even in your dotage. All it takes is some brief, regular gym time, and persistence....And good on you for keeping at it! Fair leads, Brion Toss"

Fair leads to you as well Brion.
Pam and Carl
s/v ExTerra IF38C
exterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:18   #25

Stunned and Saddened.

I was fortunate to attend Brion's workshop last Spring. Wonderful class, wonderful man. I came away with more knowledge than I could absorb, and of course, a bag full of tools - climbing harness, custom marlin spikes, yes the splicing wand, etc. All unique, all very Brion, all used regularly. Last got to say hi while he was holding court at his booth at the Seattle Boat Show - where he was engaged in casual conversation while tying knots of course. My thoughts go out to Christian and the close-knit team there.

Cheers Brion

Greg Ross
s/v Nymeria
Anacortes
gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 15:00   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Several years ago Brion was involved with developing a high strength version of a soft shackle. The stopper knot used in this design was invented by Brion (a modified version of Ashley’s Wall and Crown Button).

Brion modestly called this button stopper a “Button knot”. No name at all really, as there are over a hundred types of button knots listed in The Ashley Book of Knots. In the second edition of his book The Complete Rigger’s Apprentice, Brion did not even take credit for developing this knot, but from the long thread on Sailing Anarchy that he contributed to at the time, it is clear that this was his invention.

I propose calling this particular button the Brion Toss Button and I am going to start referring to it by this new name. If it catches on, which I hope it does, it will be only the second knot in history to be named after a person. The Matthew Walker knot is the other. That is also a stopper knot and was also possibly named after a rigger.

I think this is a small tribute we can pay to a great man.
I have written to Grog Animated Knots with this suggestion.

Angela
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6AEA1E94-44F9-4BE5-AFE5-E9B955E43C2E.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	217105  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 16:13   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good on ya, SWL. It would be cool if it is taken up.

Ann
Old 10-06-2020, 16:48   #28

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1960 View Post
Just so sad to hear of Brion's passing. I was just thinking of him this morning and how his books would be of immense help to a friend who is just starting out.

My condolences to his friends and family.
Great idea Angela. I think we could find lots of items to name after him. His climbing harnesses are by far the safest out there. Thank you for the suggestion.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:13   #29

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I propose calling this particular button the Brion Toss Button
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:28   #30

I met Brion in 1997. I had been in the process of restoring my boat since 1991. The rig was out of the boat and I had to figure out how to get it back up. It's not an easy task for someone who was as clueless as I was.

I'd gotten lucky and discovered Port Townsend sails, which was my introduction to Brion Toss. The logistics of bringing Brion to my boat were unrealistic, so instead Brion offered me a private rigging seminar in his loft. He changed my life and certainly improved my relationship with my boat.

One of Brion's suggestions was to shorten my spreaders by six inches to reduce windage aloft. I puzzled over this, as I couldn't see that it would have much effect and made some comment. Brion in a very casual manner said "Try sticking the end of your spreader out the window of your car at 60 MPH."

Then he just waited for the look on my face. We both had a good laugh over it. This was his teaching skill. He didn't just give you the answer, he gave you the insight.

I have his splicing wand laying on my table and his book is never dusty. I never go sailing without it. And yes, I shortened my spreaders by six inches. Now I wish I had saved the piece I cut off.

Fair winds Brion.
rvich is offline   Reply With Quote