Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 22:07   #31

Re: What do you think of this boat?

As an aside to this specific boat’s qualities, with your budget, you need to consider whatever the Actual overall measured length is and where you’d slip her in SoCal... and at what monthly cost. As others have mentioned, the bigger the boat, the bigger the monthly nut.

Good luck on your endeavor.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 00:22   #32

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronut2003 View Post
I saw that thread, I think that was about the only one. Do you think this would be classified as a "Motor Sailer". an 89hp engine with 24000 lbs displacement seems high, but I'm pretty new to this. I definitely plan to find a good surveyor when the time comes. Thanks again.
I think its a live aboard dock queen that will need 50k to get seaworthy . Be very careful of broker and his bs .
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 15:34   #33

Boat: Mirage 33

Lancers are terrible boats in my experience, and a 45' boat is outside your budget if you have 75k to spend. I'd be looking at something in the 35-38' range with a 75k budget. Spend 50 on the boat and have 25 reserved for maintenance and repairs.

50k will get you a 35 footer that is ready to go if you look carefully and 25k could support a frugal person for a year on a boat. Also consider buying a boat where you want to star your adventure. For example if you dream of the Caribbean, buy in the Caribbean. If cruising the ancient harbors of the med is what you want buy in the med.

Not trying to be a smart Alec but a 45 ' boat will quickly drain your bank account, especially if it is a boat that was poorly built when new.
jimbojonesbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 17:54   #34

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojonesbos View Post

... 25k could support a frugal person for a year on a boat...

I can only say yes.

Also with 5k a very frugal two will survive (and afford to be happy).

Except I am talking Caribbean hippie style life, not US continental lifestyle ...

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 18:23   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I can only say yes.

Except I am talking Caribbean hippie style life, not US continental lifestyle ...

Cheers,
b.
No doubt, but on a small simple boat not a 45footer.
5k on a 45 foot boat would disappear very quickly in maintenance and fuel costs for the boat.
5k on any sort of project boat will disappear fast as well.

If you want to live off 5k a year get a 30 footer that is all ready to go with good rigging sails and motor. Or go engineless and save even more.

But most land dwelling people who are notbackpackers or van lifers will find 5k a tough budget for two people. That's 100 bucks a week. I can't seem to ever do a repair on my boat and walk away having spent less than 100 in materials.

And of course the op is from the us , so he gets sick or hurt and 5 k disappears after an hour in a hospital. He is unemployed in a country with no national healthcare.
Old 07-06-2020, 18:30   #36

Yep.

We are 26'.

barnakiel
Old 07-06-2020, 19:43   #37

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I couldn't find much info on Lancers so I thought I would toss it out to the brain trust for comment and all of the concerns mentioned above (too big, won't sail, motorsailer) I have had as well.

I figure to start this life there is a curve. If the boat is too small and uncomfortable, my chances of success diminish because I won't want to do it. It will be too uncomfortable and I won't want to continue cruising. If I get too big a boat, my chances of success diminish because I will run out of money too quickly. So there is a point where my chances are best and I think that lands right around the 40 ft mark for me. I don't need the hardest, full-keel, keg rudder, double ended water tank, and I don't want a boat so cheaply made that it's going to fall apart on me in the first 35kt blow either.

I find the older "more solid Bluewater" boats in my price range to be uncomfortable layouts with small cockpits. While I know these layouts are more functional while underway, I have to remember that 90% of my time will be spent at anchor, hopefully sipping a beverage in the cockpit, so it's important to me that it me a comfortable place.

As far as timeline, I am in the airline industry, and due to restrictions in the CARES act, they can't furlough anyone until October 1st, so I'm still getting a paycheck until then. I am putting my house on the market next week though in anticipation of the furlough to cut my costs and I'm stuffing cash away as best I can right now in preparation for starting my new cruising life. I won't, under any circumstances, buy a boat until my house is sold, deeded, recorded, and I am 100% no longer responsible for the mortgage. So for now I'm scouring yachtworld, Pop Yachts, Boat Shed, Ebay, Craigslist and every other internet database for selling sail boats in order to educate myself on what I can get for how much and where.

I've read tons of books on the subject (The practical sailor, inspecting the aging sailboat, sailing alone around the world etc), and have chartered everything from a 25 ft Catalina to a 46 ft Beneteau and even a big 44' Catamaran with friends. So while I know the sea has MANY lessons to teach me, I think I know enough to put the plan in motion.

Thanks again for all the input and I'll let you all know how things move along!
-Chris
That Hans Christian 38 in Mexico is very likely worth a look see, imho !
Reply to that poster and get more information.
Old 07-06-2020, 20:38   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I'm scouring yachtworld, Pop Yachts, Boat Shed, Ebay, Craigslist and every other internet database for selling sail boats in order to educate myself on what I can get for how much and where.

I've read tons of books on the subject (The practical sailor, inspecting the aging sailboat, sailing alone around the world etc)
This may help once you start seeing boats up close and personal.
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 07-06-2020, 21:08   #39

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
I find the older "more solid Bluewater" boats in my price range to be uncomfortable layouts with small cockpits. While I know these layouts are more functional while underway, I have to remember that 90% of my time will be spent at anchor, hopefully sipping a beverage in the cockpit, so it's important to me that it me a comfortable place.
Every boat is a compromise. A smaller cockpit means a larger interior. A large cockpit is not necessarily more comfortable. If you plan to sail with just one or two aboard a smaller cockpit is an advantage. If it gets pooped the water weight is less and it will drain faster. You can brace yourself by putting your feet against the side of the opposite seat. Shop comfort not size. Even though you will not be under way 99% (not 90%) of the time a large cockpit is not desirable. A larger living space below should be your goal. Even there you do not want a dance floor. You should be able to hold on anywhere you are in the boat.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 22:10   #40

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Without passing too much judgement on the boat itself, I'd agree you will be spending way too much of your cash on the purchase given your budget. I agree that you should spend maybe 2/3 on boat and save the rest for all the "stuff" you'll want and then realistically look at the cash flow your boat will demand of you. As far as the boat, I remember well when the Lancers came out. Some friends down the dock bought a 36' which was designed to be a more serious racer/cruiser sailboat and they really liked it. I was happy for them but I was not impressed with the build quality, but the one you show seems to have held up well, it looks great. I did not know anyone with the 45 I confess but I recall them marketed as motorsailers. If you were sailing locally there, it would be a very comfortable boat I am sure in the anchorage. Again though in terms of budget, based on what I have seen many folks go through, I think it is smarter to consider a $70,000 boat if you have $100,000 to spend. And if you have that much to spend, you can certainly find a comfortable, high performance, high quality, much easier to singlehand, sailboat for half that.
edit, upon reflection I recall at the time they offered the same hull in a pilothouse version, motor only.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 23:41   #41

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I can only say yes.

Cheers,
b.
Family of 3 here surviving pretty comfortably, cruising and renovating our ship on around $18k before expenses. We never use marinas though, which helps.
As to the ship in question - you will see this a lot - ships that you probably shouldn't take out to sea with immaculate interiors. Imo, go for the opposite - a seaworthy ship with a shoddy interior. You will pay 1/3 to 1/2 the price and the interior work is not hard for a DIYer that is willing to learn.
Old 08-06-2020, 16:06   #42

Yeah, I wrote that one off. It's not the right fit. I'm looking for about a 50k boat that I can put 15-25k into and leave the dock with most things working well. Then I'm budgeting about 30-35k per year for two of us on the boat. We plan to host friends and have at least one more crew for passages. Thanks for all the advice. House is on the market starting today!!
Aeronut2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:25   #43

Quote:
Yeah, I wrote that one off. It's not the right fit. I'm looking for about a 50k boat that I can put 15-25k into and leave the dock with most things working well. Then I'm budgeting about 30-35k per year for two of us on the boat. We plan to host friends and have at least one more crew for passages. Thanks for all the advice. House is on the market starting today!!

I , a random internet stranger, think that is a very wise decision! 50k will buy you a very nice 30 something footer that will need very little work, possibly even no work.

My 33 footer with all new standing and running rigging, sails, engine and systems has a market value of probably 25k US , if that. And it would require nothing other than cleaning. 50k US will buy a nice 35 foot boat which is perfect for a couple, will be lower cost to maintain , and cheaper to equip.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:43   #44

small boat + big budget > big boat + small budget

;-) !

b.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:07   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
A friend is selling his Hanschristian 38 for $25K due t health reasons,boats in Mexico, owners A sail maker,,boat on the hard, good engine ect. If interested my email <handreefsail@gmail.com>
Wow, there's a deal.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat