Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 13:50   #706

Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36
Been a wannabee since I was seven

I do get tired of the people who just say "do it". It was refreshing to read the post from the guy who said that for a lot of people it's not that easy to do. For anyone telling others to do it we should require a complete financial, family, and what kind of boat disclosure. Most of us are not born with enough money to just go cruising. We need to earn it somehow and that takes time.

Over the years I've done a lot of sailing, not as much as I'd like but still possibly more than some 'cruisers' have done. In the process I have obtained the perfect boat for me and have developed a lot of hands on experience with it.

I'm still a wannabee but also still not sure I really want to be a cruiser. Mostly I just want to get out and sail and when I'm done with that I want to sail some more. For many cruisers sailing is the least of the things they do and they may not actually sail for months or years at a time.

I'll keep doing what I am to get more time to sail but will I ever get far away? I don't know. What I do know is I've sailed about 2000 miles this summer as a weekend warrior with a few multi day trips. I'll hold my miles up to most of the 'cruisers' in the world and probably come out looking Ok.
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 13:55   #707
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Been a wannabee since I was seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
For many cruisers sailing is the least of the things they do and they may not actually sail for months or years at a time..
You must be talking about the 50% of cruiser I know that own a sailboat with vertical stabilizers. The dirty little secrete is that a good amount of "cruiser" on sailboats don't really care for "sailing".
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 14:05   #708

Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

I watch those stupid " house hunt" shows.It always bugs me when the buyers pick a house that would be great for "entertaining". Why buy a house based on something you do .ooo1% of the time? Cruisers spend 99% of there time at anchor.. I say forget how she sails, how does she anchor? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 14:10   #709
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleychuck View Post
I watch those stupid " house hunt" shows.It always bugs me when the buyers pick a house that would be great for "entertaining". Why buy a house based on something you do .ooo1% of the time? Cruisers spend 99% of there time at anchor.. I say forget how she sails, how does she anchor? Lol
I love this guy!

Why do you think I bought a Hudson Force 50 "sail" boat?
I'm not going to win a race or tack through anything under 10kts of wind but we are living in comfort baby!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 14:15   #710

I am one of the "wannabees" who has done pretty much everything wrong according to consensus. You can read about my progress on SailNet forum under "Introduce Yourself". My thread is called "Three Years From Cruising". I post my progress periodically on that thread.

I hang back and just read due to negative responses aimed at people like myself. There are threads on other forums that use terms like "deranged" and "mentally ill". One of the first books I read was from Capt Goodlander. He stated that a person should just keep it to themselves if they plan to start cruising abroad. His advice has pretty much been true.

I just keep plugging away at my plan. I keep reading, mostly in silence, the excellent information provided by forums like this one. No better place to get so many opinions from "old salts".

I fall more and more in love with sailing every day.
gbgreen59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 14:17   #711

You could be living on the same boat I used to live on in high school.

The Force 50 has a spectacular interior.

BTW I love this forum. I lurked for a while reading the long thread about autopilots and it was great. In the end I designed my own autopilot from scratch using a bit of code from the Arduino website but the extensive threads and thoughtful replies on this forum were invaluable in my education on the basics.

I also spent a lot of time reading about OpenCPN here and I have to say that OpenCPN is the greatest thing and it's become a vital safety feature for me this summer with the AIS display because we have a lot of fog and wind and rough water all at the same time. Thanks to the OpenCPN folks!
Old 04-09-2014, 14:25   #712

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgreen59 View Post
I fall more and more in love with sailing every day.
Indeed!
Old 04-09-2014, 16:00   #713

Boat: Pearson 281

Still here and still in it. Nothing left to say but some armchair drivel until I really get to go. Seems soon now but not going to say when... have learned that much. Will be back after my first ocean crossing.
Only lose at something when you quit.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:50   #714

I too would like to hear from "ss little devil" as I am the current owner of the boat he settled on for his project. SeeWorld tv w/ Jon Charron. In my case the boat came first, the dreams are still forming.
tishy willocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:56   #715
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tishy willocks View Post
I too would like to hear from "ss little devil" as I am the current owner of the boat he settled on for his project. SeeWorld tv w/ Jon Charron. In my case the boat came first, the dreams are still forming.
try here

https://www.facebook.com/sheldon.charron
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:04   #716

Boat: 1964 Chris Craft SailYacht 35
Re: Been a wannabee since I was seven

[QUOTE=korrigan;1621122]I do get tired of the people who just say "do it". It was refreshing to read the post from the guy who said that for a lot of people it's not that easy to do. For anyone telling others to do it we should require a complete financial, family, and what kind of boat disclosure. Most of us are not born with enough money to just go cruising. We need to earn it somehow and that takes time.

I totally agree Korrigan.
I have a small business that I am depending on to help me finance some cruising trips, and I have tried to supplement my earning capacity while on the boat and on the move by learning things like fiberglass repair, simple diesel engine troubleshooting and maintenance, basic sail repair, etc. I just purchased a power probe III electrical diagnostic tool that I am working on learning the basics to. All these things are possibilities to save money by doing my own work AND possibilities to make a nickel here and there helping other boaters that know only how to reach for their wallet when something goes wrong. I feel confident that I can make it even when my business income may be zero by falling back on these abilities. Learning scuba is also an idea that can bring in some cruising bucks in many ways. If you really WANT to go sailing you will find a way.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 02:36   #717
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

recorded for posterity.
good luck KISS,lets hope it gets beyond the planning stage.....and that big anchor don't sink ya!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-133484-6.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:23   #718

Boat: Bristol 35

well, this wanna be- gonna be passed the first ASA sailing course this weekend!. Hubby and I are bothing taking jobs in the next two weeks that will more than double our income- he will be moving 7 hours away to make this happen, I'll be taking on a much more challenging and time consuming position. We had both decided a few years ago to stop that type of work but since we have decided to sail off we want to save as much $$$ as possible in the next 3-5 years and this will allow us to do that. So- that is were these gonna be's stand. We've changed our lifestyle to make this happen- not just talk but action too!
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 17:25   #719

wanna be's become has been's but along the way they are just being there.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:47   #720

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

I stopped being a wanna-be 4 years ago. Now I am an "I am". All it takes is the first step, move aboard. Until then all the steps are dreams. Good luck to all that wish it.

For the record (and Korrigan) I started with a boat, a bit of "emergency cash" and my social security check. Now the SS check is all I live on.