Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2018, 16:47   #946

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
We are wannabees that are about to turn into "out doing it" with some modifications to our original plan. Sold our house last year and moved into an apartment with a goal to leave in three years. After a few months decided to shave two years off of that date and leave this September.

The plan was temporarily derailed when Mr. Cthoops landed in the hospital on December 24th, almost died, and was released two weeks later with a congestive heart failure diagnosis. We thought we would need to delay until fall 2019 at the earliest, but he has made great progress and we received the go-ahead from the cardiologist a few days ago to take off next month. As she put it, "It's good for the soul." In a nod to his limitations, Mr. cthoops will be the helmsman and I'll handle the lines.

Pre-CHF we were going to head down to the Caribbean and see where the wind took us, never to return to the northeast. Now we need to come back every few months for medical appointments so we are going to head down the ICW to the Keys or the Bahamas this winter and then return to New England where we will base ourselves next summer. We're taking it one year at a time due to Mr. cthoops diagnosis, but we are so grateful to be going at all, particularly when we think about how things looked during the Christmas holidays.

Today I put my winter boots and winter wool coat into the bag for Goodwill - hooray! We're moving onto the boat in nine days and throwing off the dock lines after a cardiology appointment on August 28th. We can't wait!
Ain't it a bitch when life gets in the way of cruising? So glad that Mr has recovered well, and that you have come up with an acceptable alternative plan.

As a fellow old fart cruiser, I have great sympathy. Now juggling macular degeneration treatment with recovery from bowel cancer surgery... both with scheduled appointments that must be folded into our normal migratory movements to avoid cyclone prone areas in season. It can be a challenge! For instance, yesterday I had an eye injection from the seventh different ophthalmologist that I've employed... another facet of the old saying that while traveling you get to meet lots of new people!

What I'm getting at here is that there are cardiologists in lots of places, and for routine maintenance visits and checkups, perhaps you won't need to return to your home base doctor. Some serious conversation with that chap might allow you to have a more relaxed schedule. We've found that most doctors, after a bit of initial reluctance, are willing to help you find practitioners in other locations.

Good luck with the recovery and with the cruise.

Jim
Old 19-07-2018, 18:30   #947

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
We are wannabees that are about to turn into "out doing it" with some modifications to our original plan.

Today I put my winter boots and winter wool coat into the bag for Goodwill - hooray! We're moving onto the boat in nine days and throwing off the dock lines after a cardiology appointment on August 28th. We can't wait!
I hate it when life interuppts, but I’m pulling for you and happy to hear you’re still moving forward.

You post says you’re leaving after your 28 Aug Dr appt. I’m wondering what your itinerary is and how you’re planning for the rest of the hurricane season.

The wife and I are following closely behind you but are planning for a mid November start Corpus Christi to Pensacola, then the Dry Tortugas, then Marathon, Ft Lauderdale and finally the Caribbean.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 07:53   #948

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ain't it a bitch when life gets in the way of cruising? So glad that Mr has recovered well, and that you have come up with an acceptable alternative plan.

As a fellow old fart cruiser, I have great sympathy. Now juggling macular degeneration treatment with recovery from bowel cancer surgery... both with scheduled appointments that must be folded into our normal migratory movements to avoid cyclone prone areas in season. It can be a challenge! For instance, yesterday I had an eye injection from the seventh different ophthalmologist that I've employed... another facet of the old saying that while traveling you get to meet lots of new people!

What I'm getting at here is that there are cardiologists in lots of places, and for routine maintenance visits and checkups, perhaps you won't need to return to your home base doctor. Some serious conversation with that chap might allow you to have a more relaxed schedule. We've found that most doctors, after a bit of initial reluctance, are willing to help you find practitioners in other locations.

Good luck with the recovery and with the cruise.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. Sorry to hear about your health challenges. As Mr. Cthoops likes to say, "Getting old ain't for sissies!".

You are absolutely right about cardiologists being in many places, and I can certainly see a point in time where we start to branch out. Given how fresh everything is at the moment (and the fact that we like them and they are good - not an easy thing to find), we are going to cling tight to them for a bit longer. But your point is absolutely well taken.

Thanks again, and best of luck!
Old 20-07-2018, 07:56   #949

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
I hate it when life interuppts, but I’m pulling for you and happy to hear you’re still moving forward.

You post says you’re leaving after your 28 Aug Dr appt. I’m wondering what your itinerary is and how you’re planning for the rest of the hurricane season.

The wife and I are following closely behind you but are planning for a mid November start Corpus Christi to Pensacola, then the Dry Tortugas, then Marathon, Ft Lauderdale and finally the Caribbean.
Thanks SSgtPitt. We are very happy too. We are going to head off from Groton, CT to Cape May and then go inside. Hurricane season is certainly a concern, but I've been taking note of as many hurricane holes as I can find along our route. Still nervous about it, but it's a balance between leaving early and keeping a sharp eye on the weather, or waiting until after hurricane season and freezing our bums off until we get far enough south!

Hope to see you out there!
Old 20-07-2018, 12:42   #950
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

What I'm getting at here is that there are cardiologists in lots of places, and for routine maintenance visits and checkups, perhaps you won't need to return to your home base doctor.
Yes and they LOVE to see you come in if you have a "history" that way they get to do all the tests (that they have a piece of the test place/lab places for) again. It wouldn't matter that you just did these a year ago and feel fine and aren't due for them again for years. All that will matter is "you haven't done them here and I need these to see how you are".

Could be wrong, but that's just my real life experience typing.
Old 20-07-2018, 14:12   #951

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Yes and they LOVE to see you come in if you have a "history" that way they get to do all the tests (that they have a piece of the test place/lab places for) again. It wouldn't matter that you just did these a year ago and feel fine and aren't due for them again for years. All that will matter is "you haven't done them here and I need these to see how you are".

Could be wrong, but that's just my real life experience typing.
Another medical expert heard from. Sometimes cynicism gets in the way of life, SB, and worrying about how he might be victimized isn't going to help Mr CT enjoy his cruising.

So far I've had pretty good luck with ad hoc doctors. I ask around, get recommendations from other practitioners and their patients, haven't been stung yet (unless you consider a jab in the eye being stung!).

Jim
Old 20-07-2018, 14:28   #952
CLOD

Boat: none

Just saying the facts of what I experienced. It cost me $500 for the tests the new cardiologist in Fl needed to do 1 year after my one in NH said I was good. But of course now I know I'm just fine.

There are doctors all over, you can find one generally when needed.

BTW - I only wrote my direct personal experience. I fail understand how that opens me to an internet "expert" slam!!!!
Old 20-07-2018, 14:31   #953

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, this might be a good time to point out that you should carry copies of all your most recent tests and their evaluations with you to show your as yet unmet doctors. Fwiw, I have found that most US docs want to do new tests, regardless, but the docs here in Oz are content to go by your most recent tests, unless they're trying to run down the cause of a major change. Sometimes, they don't pay super attention to what you're saying, or you fail to make something clear. That's life. [I had shortness of breath: many tests, cardiologist involvement, etc.,etc, but turned out heart was fine. Then had a treatment designed for COPD, and I could breathe again after a week on the regime--but I don't have COPD, either. There can be ambiguity with one's health.]

However, do plan on setting aside space on the boat for medical records. For women, besides your list of vaccinations, and blood workups, this would include your most recent mammogram, and bone density scans. Having those along gives the doc the valuable information of how your body was at what time.

Keep healthy, cruisers!

Ann
Old 20-07-2018, 14:44   #954

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Yes to both arguments about seeing a MD while travelling.

Do carry records. Complete records.

One thing about the US is that MDs are always afraid of the lawyers. It is a very litigious country.
Old 20-07-2018, 15:30   #955

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Here's the thing about health:
90% of what ails you will clear up without intervention
5% will kill you no matter how good a doctor you have
5% can be cured by doctors. Of those, 95% will be cured by any competent doctor by antibiotics, simple surgery or other treatment.
Of the half of one percent that requires advanced medicine, you have to decide if that's a risk worth taking.
American's should not fear heathcare in other countries. The heathcare in the US is mainly comprised of encouraging you to eat really bad food, loaded with corn syrup, until you get sick, then finding ways to charge you for procedures you don't need so you feel you are getting better. Most healthcare money in the US is spent on people in the last years of their life.

If you truly want to help yourself stay well, it's very simple:
1) Don't smoke - HUGE - if you smoke, all bets are off
2) Eat REAL food. Not frozen prepared garbage, the stuff that grows in a field. Cook it lightly yourself, don't deep fry it. Try salads.
3) Exercise. If you won a boat and actually sail it, your covered.
4) Take a baby aspirin a day. It has been proven to reduce heart disease and cancer by 30%
5) Have an annual checkup. It doesn't require a medical magician to spot issues and recommend solutions. The Cubans have amazing heath because they are require to have a free annual checkup, not because they have high tech solutions.

Americans rely too much on expensive procedures instead of taking care of themselves. Obesity and smoking can't be fixed by medicine.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 16:00   #956

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

In OZ, All your medical records are on line, No matter which doctor you go too,
They can get your records no matter where you are, You just to sign for them to be allowed to access them,
Including Xrays,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 17:36   #957

Boat: Still building

Actually, under the new MyHealthRecord scheme, you can in fact 'opt-out' of the online storage of records, which many thousands are now doing thanks to concerns over privacy and security of data.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 04:49   #958

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Actually, under the new MyHealthRecord scheme, you can in fact 'opt-out' of the online storage of records, which many thousands are now doing thanks to concerns over privacy and security of data.
Hahahaha, The security is great for now,
I have 3 unicorns for sale and a couple of bridges as well,
They will send it to the phillipines and the records will be open to who ever,
I will be opting out as well,

Their privacy and security of Data is Zilch,
They will sell it off to make a quid out of it, Like they have done for every thing else,

But currently, The records are online for any doctor to use for your health,
It was a good idea till the govt got their grubby little fingers into it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 04:59   #959

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
From my experance..
I knew a guy from theforum that bought a ChoyLee Offshore 31 to go cruising,,
After the first winter in the boat, they moved back into an apartment and sold the boat.. It never moved from the dock..
So many have the grand dreams of sailing off into the sunset only to discover the other side of living on a boat and sailing off to new places......

We did pretty much the opposite. Knew nothing about sailing, found a CheoyLee Offshore 33 for cheap, bought it, studied some sailing videos, and jumped in the boat and sailed it. We've used it continuously outside hurricane season, visited most of the Leeward Islands, found ways to integrate into our work, and had a great time. We've addressed maintenance issues as time allows and done almost all the work ourselves. We've spent very little time in marinas, anchored in great spots, had serious problems to contend with, and figured out solutions as we went. Our last adventure was a sail to Guadeloupe and Dominica, great fun.
My greatest fear is ending up with a boat sitting on the hard, corroding away, draining my funds, unable to use. While the boat is small, slow and time consuming to maintain, it's manageable, fun, and ours.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 17:43   #960

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
They will sell it off to make a quid out of it, Like they have done for every thing else,
I agree. I'm waiting for the govt to offer 'Australian Workers' to the world, and start selling us off, one by one.

They've sold off the minerals, the farms, the water, the electricity, the roads, bridges, and former govt buildings.

The only thing left is the Australian public. So if they can't raise taxes out of us (politically challenging) then the only resource they have left is us.

Maybe they could set up a tallow works and boil us all down for grease?

Like you, I've opted out. I carry a letter from my doc which lists my meds and conditions. And wear a T-shirt reading "If you find this person unconscious, administer chocolate".

It might not save my life, but what a way to go...
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote