Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 19:54   #1036

Boat: MS Fisher 30
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

So I'll bite! I'm a 66 yo wannabe who's never sailed, haven't even stepped on a sailboat. So here's my story;

There is ONE family situation that my put my current plan on hold, maybe indefinitely. But other than that, here goes.

Step 1: Move to the Clear Lake region.
Step 2: Find a small short term apartment and shop for boats. Have already been in contact with brokers, surveyors, insurance companies, etc
Step 3: Buy a 36-40' sailboat
Step 4: Work on the priority issues, actually take some sailing lessons and/or spend time with "new" friends to become familiar of the overall skills/requirements.
Step 5: Improve on the boat to accommodate my wife of 45 years physical requirements.
Step 6: Help her to gradually enjoy the pleasures of boating (freedom).
Step 7: Start taking short cruises along the coast between New Orleans and Mexico etc.

That may take 2 years or my last 20, don't care. It's the journey and not the destination. Took me way too long to learn that lesson.

When all of the about happens (and assuming I'm still alive) well just maybe............................................. ........................................

Once I get the boat I'll keep you posted.
jclester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 21:07   #1037

Boat: 26ft TS

We are no longer a wannabes, we have just bought our first yacht, a 26ft T.S to dip our big toes into the world of sailing. Sure glad we didn't wait any longer or go any bigger, 26ft is plenty of boat to learn how to do everything wrong.
We have a 7 day cruise planned end of March, this should confirm if this is what we really want to do as a lifestyle and if it goes pear shaped the investment in terms of financial and time was small and we can at least say we gave it a good shot.
JayandKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 15:21   #1038

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclester View Post
So I'll bite! I'm a 66 yo wannabe who's never sailed, haven't even stepped on a sailboat. So here's my story;

There is ONE family situation that my put my current plan on hold, maybe indefinitely. But other than that, here goes.

Step 1: Move to the Clear Lake region.
Step 2: Find a small short term apartment and shop for boats. Have already been in contact with brokers, surveyors, insurance companies, etc
Step 3: Buy a 36-40' sailboat
Step 4: Work on the priority issues, actually take some sailing lessons and/or spend time with "new" friends to become familiar of the overall skills/requirements.
Step 5: Improve on the boat to accommodate my wife of 45 years physical requirements.
Step 6: Help her to gradually enjoy the pleasures of boating (freedom).
Step 7: Start taking short cruises along the coast between New Orleans and Mexico etc.

That may take 2 years or my last 20, don't care. It's the journey and not the destination. Took me way too long to learn that lesson.

When all of the about happens (and assuming I'm still alive) well just maybe............................................. ........................................

Once I get the boat I'll keep you posted.
That is a pretty big bite. Hope you can swallow it.

Suggest. charter, lessons and sail some with others before chomping down.
Old 09-02-2019, 20:35   #1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
That is a pretty big bite. Hope you can swallow it.

Suggest. charter, lessons and sail some with others before chomping down.
Good suggestion and part of the plan. Have some time to narrow down the style of boat and type of rigging. I live in SoCal so plan on hitting the boatyards and marinas before heading out this July.

True, BIG bite. But I've pretty much subscribed to the idea if you can't run with the big dogs then don't get off the porch. I'm crazy, not stupid :-) Age and time waits for no man so I know I'll have to reign it in some but...........
Old 10-02-2019, 05:15   #1040

Boat: Islander 32 MK2 #157/Pram 8 Marconi Rig

Pretty negative thread, sounds like atypical day at marathon marina tiki circa 2016
Capt JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 16:37   #1041

I am a wannabee! We have a few-year plan ahead of us, and will likely never reach full-time cruising status, but I have every intention of growing into a boat that I can spend most of the summers on.

The challenges - young with incredible student debt, sailing season in New England that really only lasts from Memorial Day to Labor Day, and my wife and I both work jobs that put us on-call regularly.

Still, this year we are doing ASA's 101-104 and joining a sailing club that lets us take their boats out all summer. Next year, we hope to charter for vacation. After that I expect we are in business!
Zhent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 09:22   #1042

Boat: Olympic Sea 42

This wannabee is getting very close to shedding that tag, casting off the lines at the end of next month and looking forward to the learning curve. Appreciate all of the helpful posters on here.
ScubaTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 13:27   #1043

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

... finally back on board... [emoji1]
Old 23-04-2019, 11:51   #1044

Quick question....intend to buy a 34 foot yacht French Polynesia way,question can I survive on say 1300 US dollars per month solo sailer no marinas,boat is 20 years old and good condition
Thanks in advance
edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 12:29   #1045

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
Quick question....intend to buy a 34 foot yacht French Polynesia way,question can I survive on say 1300 US dollars per month solo sailer no marinas,boat is 20 years old and good condition
Thanks in advance
Do you like to fish and dive and eat fish every day?

Do you know engine repair?

Do you need health insurance?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 18:53   #1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i would love to hear from some of the posters that join the forum with great plans,use our knowledge,tell us how they are going to do it,then nothing....

here is a recent one that never amounted to much:

SeeWorld TV with Jon Charron | An 8 Month Sailing Adventure Across The South Pacific – LA To Australia Through The French Polynesians
I am new here. Queried "Learning Plan" and this was the first thread. Such a warm welcome.
CaptainH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 19:00   #1047

Boat: Still building

It's probably intended to help deter dreamers - like some of those who posted immediately above...

...but having said that, look further afield on CF.

Everything you could possibly want to know has been discussed, and usually in depth.

Seek and ye shall find!!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 19:23   #1048

So pulled the trigger on a Fisher 30MS, leave SoCal in July and pick the boat up in SC. Plan on 6-12 mo getting us (me) and the boat up to speed. Spend a little time in the ICW learning the boat, tides, currents etc then to FL and Bahamas. That's the initial plan. Phase II, bigger boat or fit out the Fisher the way we'd want. Exit plan.......sell or sail.

Fisher wasn't even close to what I initially wanted or thought we needed, I think the boat found us...........is that even possible? We'll stick out like a sore thumb almost everywhere we're planning on going
Old 13-05-2019, 19:29   #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainH View Post
I am new here. Queried "Learning Plan" and this was the first thread. Such a warm welcome.
I hear ya! Fortunately I'm free of the "good opinion" of others.
Don't really care what people think, but just to be fair....I don't expect them to care for what I think. Makes it easy to find the adults in a crowd
Old 13-05-2019, 21:20   #1050

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclester View Post
I hear ya! Fortunately I'm free of the "good opinion" of others.
Don't really care what people think, but just to be fair....I don't expect them to care for what I think. Makes it easy to find the adults in a crowd
I couldnt sail to save myself, Bought this one in Fiji, And promptly retired on it, Identical boat also with all the bells and whistles for the same price was in San Diego, But 12000 miles was a bit far for my first ocean voyage, So I did the Fiji one instead, 2000 miles I could manage on my own,
Plan B was to drive it home on the diesel if I couldnt sail it,

six weeks later I sailed it to Australia, Single handed, Crash course in Sailing,
I knew enough to get me home,
Couple of months and it will be back in the water again, fully repaired,
I also dont care what people think, Never have,
We were all learners once,

Cheers, Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat piccy 27-3-2019 002.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	192005  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote