Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 21:23   #1051

Boat: MS Fisher 30
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I couldnt sail to save myself, Bought this one in Fiji, And promptly retired on it, Identical boat also with all the bells and whistles for the same price was in San Diego, But 12000 miles was a bit far for my first ocean voyage, So I did the Fiji one instead, 2000 miles I could manage on my own,
Plan B was to drive it home on the diesel if I couldnt sail it,

six weeks later I sailed it to Australia, Single handed, Crash course in Sailing,
I knew enough to get me home,
Couple of months and it will be back in the water again, fully repaired,
I also dont care what people think, Never have,
We were all learners once,

Cheers, Brian,
Good for you! I'm about 90 minutes north, or 4 hours depending on traffic, from San Diego. Should have made the trip :-)
jclester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 21:39   #1052

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Do you like to fish and dive and eat fish every day?

Whats wrong with buying food at markets, They are every where,
Frozen food goes in the freezer,
There are more foods you can eat other than fish,

Do you know engine repair?
I bet you cant fix your jet engine at 30,000 feet,

Do you need health insurance?
Drop out of the sky and you need funeral insurance, not health insurance,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 08:24   #1053

Hmm sort of wannabee.
55, eligible to retire in 4 months. Been sailing all my life, grew up in a cruising and racing family, been on boats since I was a baby- literally. Grew up racing dinghies and sailboards of all sorts, raced and cruised on the family keelboat on the Chesapeake, evolved to racing on ocean going boats as mostly navigator. Done many ocean passages. Graduated SUNY Maritime with nav.arch. degree and 3rd mate unlimited license. Been crewing on all sorts of sailboats, a few merchant ships and tugboats.
So as far as marine experience, I'm not a newbie.
But I'm a newbie wannabee as far as somewhat larger keelboat ownership goes. Just bought a 40 footer with intention of extended cruising in retirement. Boat needs work, I'm guessing about a 3 year plan to get her in top shape. I know the boat though, the family owned a sistership for 12 years while I was growing up. I've been exposed to what it takes to maintain a boat also, my dad coerced my brother an me into low-cost labor doing varnish, deck hardware maintenance and the like, paying coolie wages.

I have a good idea of what's required to get the old girl back in shape over the next few years. Then when my lady is ready to retire in 4 years, off we go! (We'll see how it pans out).
bgytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:06   #1054

Boat: MS Fisher 30

So technically I'm still a wannabe, since I don't even get to my boat until later this month.
The boat needs two system upgrades/repairs.

New stove, took propane out-don't want it, and a new blackwater tank.

So I'm thinking of using a non-pressurized alcohol stove (what about baking) and possibly a Natures Head composting toilet.

Would like your specific thoughts/experience on YOUR pros/cons. Thanks.
I searched and didn't see much on the alcohol stove
Old 10-06-2019, 11:18   #1055
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclester View Post
So technically I'm still a wannabe, since I don't even get to my boat until later this month.
The boat needs two system upgrades/repairs.

New stove, took propane out-don't want it, and a new blackwater tank.

So I'm thinking of using a non-pressurized alcohol stove (what about baking) and possibly a Natures Head composting toilet.

Would like your specific thoughts/experience on YOUR pros/cons. Thanks.
I searched and didn't see much on the alcohol stove
Go look on the contents of typical "marine" stove denatured alcohol fuel. May contain up to something like 15% methanol and other highly toxic components. Think about those being released when partially unburned or evaporated into the interior of your boat cabin, especially in an inefficient non-pressurized burner.

Then go read the MSDS on methanol and its inhalation hazards in a gaseous state.

It is then merely an acedemic matter to determine what the real hazards and risks to your long-term health are from using alcohol as a cooking fuel inside a confined environment rather than LP.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:48   #1056

Speaking as a wannabe myself, I was put off by the preponderance of arrogant, condescending, unhelpful responses. I did really appreciate those few who were supportive and gave solid advice and shared their experience and gave constructive criticism. Many of those wannabe newbies who post here may have actually gone ahead with their vision never having come back here because of the nature of the responses. Others may have given up their dream because they were put off. My advice to those on this forum is to be mindful of how they respond, being realistic but encouraging and helpful, and always respectful. I am pursuing my dream, and have altered my plan according to the advice I was given. Fortunately, I was able to look past the negativity and ego-padding. Thanks to those of you who give your time to helping us newbies achieve our dreams.
dustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 18:37   #1057

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman View Post
Speaking as a wannabe myself, I was put off by the preponderance of arrogant, condescending, unhelpful responses. I did really appreciate those few who were supportive and gave solid advice and shared their experience and gave constructive criticism. Many of those wannabe newbies who post here may have actually gone ahead with their vision never having come back here because of the nature of the responses. Others may have given up their dream because they were put off. My advice to those on this forum is to be mindful of how they respond, being realistic but encouraging and helpful, and always respectful. I am pursuing my dream, and have altered my plan according to the advice I was given. Fortunately, I was able to look past the negativity and ego-padding. Thanks to those of you who give your time to helping us newbies achieve our dreams.

This forum has a lot of tongue in cheek... especially when it comes to humor. But I think your post highlights something important about this “Wannabes” thread, if a new member (or old) can’t tolerate some of the personalities on this boat forum, it would be quite difficult to tolerate owning a boat
99.9% of what I see here is good natured and well mannered.

But yes, I see this perspective pop up from time (maybe even in this same thread) and most here will wonder if you’re getting this forum confused with another. And some will even tease/joke a bit in the process, which would probably be an example of what you’re talking about.

With that said, I’ve hung around this forum for many years. And while some comments are dry and blunt, strong opinions, with awkward, not always detectable humor, I have never seen a knowledgeable, long-standing, frequent posting member act the way you describe (but I definitely see how some comments could be taken badly). I’m pretty sure there are active moderators in place to prevent such things and if you have example we’d probably all be interested in having a look.

*And I say all this having joined the forum as a Newbie in 2010, so asked all the seemingly annoying questions a beginner might ask.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 18:47   #1058
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Quote:
The seamans world is often a rough one so one has to learn to give back.. none of your namby pamby PC in harbours around the world mate..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 21:07   #1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
This forum has a lot of tongue in cheek... especially when it comes to humor. But I think your post highlights something important about this “Wannabes” thread, if a new member (or old) can’t tolerate some of the personalities on this boat forum, it would be quite difficult to tolerate owning a boat
99.9% of what I see here is good natured and well mannered.

But yes, I see this perspective pop up from time (maybe even in this same thread) and most here will wonder if you’re getting this forum confused with another. And some will even tease/joke a bit in the process, which would probably be an example of what you’re talking about.

With that said, I’ve hung around this forum for many years. And while some comments are dry and blunt, strong opinions, with awkward, not always detectable humor, I have never seen a knowledgeable, long-standing, frequent posting member act the way you describe (but I definitely see how some comments could be taken badly). I’m pretty sure there are active moderators in place to prevent such things and if you have example we’d probably all be interested in having a look.

*And I say all this having joined the forum as a Newbie in 2010, so asked all the seemingly annoying questions a beginner might ask.

I guess what I'm saying is that this kind of behavior may seem ok or funny or righteous to some, but to someone new it can be straight up discouraging and offensive. YOU(experienced sailors) need to put yourself in the others' shoes so you can be truly helpful, that is the point after all? Yes, the ocean is a dangerous place and its good to let people know that, but think about how things are presented.
Old 10-06-2019, 21:32   #1060

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is that this kind of behavior may seem ok or funny or righteous to some, but to someone new it can be straight up discouraging and offensive. YOU(experienced sailors) need to put yourself in the others' shoes so you can be truly helpful, that is the point after all? Yes, the ocean is a dangerous place and its good to let people know that, but think about how things are presented.

I definitely agree. I lean towards the gentle and soft approach to sharing my perspectives, especially when trying to help someone else. Sometimes direct and blunt is more useful, I prefer that when I’m on the receiving end of advice/help.

On the other hand if someone is sincerely interested in sailing or boating, there isn’t a single person on this forum that would be able to dissuade them... But some people’s spirit is more fragile than others. And hey, you’re still here, so good-on-ya!

Are you looking for a boat, learning to sail, or have plans to step off the “Wannabe” train?
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 23:06   #1061

Boat: Volkscruiser

That’s the trouble with the written word it’s hard to convey the tone of the message. There is plenty of advice here and I don’t think anyone is really setting out to be to hard on newbies even if comes across that way.
I am surprised boatman61 did not support you. Poms usually whinge about everything!
So have you got a yacht dustman?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 23:18   #1062

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

To me this is odd. We often get comments from folks who are well experienced in internet fora to the effect that CF is so much kinder and gentler than any of the other sailing fora... and then we get complaints like this one.

Yep, there are some posters who ain't nice. When that happens to you, Dustman, you should click the small triangle with red borders that sits under the avatar in each post. A box will appear in which you can voice your displeasure with the post, and one or more moderators will put down their wine glass and attend to the issue. We can be pretty mean to folks who post nastygrams, including banning them from further participation in CF. We take the rules seriously and will act accordingly... and let you know about our actions. Do remember that we are all unpaid volunteers and that we are spread all over the world so time zone issues interfere with response times occasionally. But the big thing is if you don't point out problems, don't expect any improvements, for we don't read every post, not by a long shot.

Jim
Old 10-06-2019, 23:28   #1063

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Hi there,

Some advice for you guys, first of all, you must really want it.

You must have a dream and prepare to give up your current life with all the things you love about land lubbing, friends, family favorite restaurants, shopping malls, cars, air conditioned condos, regular jobs and income...

To be easy upset or offended is something you should leave behind you. You'll meet many people with diametrically different views and life styles, cultures and opinions.

You've got to free your mind first, then to get your rig ready and finally cut the lines.

We are on stage 4 already, means we dreamed as you do, we prepared ourselves mentally and physically, we bought our boat and fixed / adapted it to our needs, we sorted out our land ties and 8 weeks ago we started our journey living on board and cruising. We are still wannabes and learning, repairing and smiling all day long, barely believing that we did it finally.

We don't know what challenges lie in front of us, but we'll cope with them when they come in front of us our way.

Be positive, trust in your skills, be ready to learn new tricks and enjoy life. YOLO.

Good luck and fair winds!
Old 10-06-2019, 23:35   #1064

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I learnt to sail in a bar on Mololo Island off Fiji,
Asking questions at night while having a few beers and practicing sailing during the day,
60 odd yachts on swing moorings in the bay, All professional sailors,
To them, Fiji was just a super market to get supplies from,
They sailed in, stocked up had a few beers and left again,
They were in hysterics when I said I bought my Cat and couldnt sail it, I thought it was quite funny as well, But it was going to happen,
Also I intended to sail it to Australia, aprox 2000 miles to the west, Once I learned to sail it,
Not once did I ever get told any false information, They were extremely helpfull with their advice and knowledge, Still having a good laugh about it all,
It was very funny listening to their first time sailing experiences, They knew as much as I did, Nothing at the time, ,
But I wasnt a complete novice, I had been a motor boat driver for over fifty years,
I did have plan B, I would motor my boat back to OZ Island hopping using the diesel,
If I couldnt sail it myself, I had 750 Nmiles of diesel on Board, Just in case, Hahaha
Option 3, Was hiring a Captain in Fiji and get him or her to sail it for me, Learning as we went,
Was my boat seaworthy, It had all the Bells and Whistles on it already, I didnt have to buy any thing but food for a month, to get it home, Restocking at Islands on the way,
It was sea and land surveyed by Fiji's top Surveyor with the knowledge I was sailing it to Australia,
It needed nothing to be done to it by the survey, It had already been sailed from San Diego across to Bundaberg in Australia via Hawai, Tonga, Fiji Vanuatu, New Caledonia,

I thought it would do the trip easily, It was also one of the first Gemini's to be stripped of the Cherry wood interiors to make it lighter after Tonys trip across the northern Atlantic to England and was one of the first to be CE certified for Blue Water,
My Gemini was no longer just a coastal cruiser,
My next trip is to Circumnavigate around Australia, I have every confidence in my Cat and myself now as a sailor,

Cheers, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 23:43   #1065

I do not yet have a yacht. I am extremely committed to the endeavor of building a boat and sailing it around the world. This is a few years out and am currently gathering as much knowledge (and money) as possible. Even though I don't like the tone of many who have given me feedback, I am listening and am incorporating some of the ideas and feedback into my design and planning. I am leaning towards a leaner, simpler, faster version of the general Wharram concept. With an emphasis on safety, and ease of single handed operation.

To Boatman61, I am far from mamby pamby and not much for PC either, I just value respect...