Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2020, 12:26   #1156

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Elkhart, Indiana (Northwest corner of the state)
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 18:33   #1157

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
Elkhart, Indiana (Northwest corner of the state)

Cool. We live in SW Indiana most of the time. 🤙🏼
Old 19-04-2020, 06:55   #1158

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards

another wannabe update:

it is official. i've got the wannabe blues...

any other wannabes with the blues?

wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 07:53   #1159
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

The Dream is Easier than making it happen.
I've been watching if for over a decade now.
You could sell your cars and buy a $15,000 Boat NOW in La Paz Mexico and cruise the Sea of Cortez. Sell the boat for the same $15,000 when you are done and have a Blast!!!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...la-31-3652235/

But here is the Hard Truth many Wannabees and dreamers don't want to admit. They don't really want to go Cruising!
Cruising is more work than Dreaming about Cruising.
Dreaming is less risky and doing.

Consider this the Tough Love slap in the face that all of your Friends and Family are too afraid of offending you and hurting your self-esteem to tell you.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 09:04   #1160

Boat: Norseman 447cc

We are about to embark on our journey. We purchased the boat two years ago and have been working on her to be ready for some serious long term cruising. We had to sell a business which we did and a house which is under contract and due to close next month at which point we move aboard full time, right in the middle of a pandemic with no idea how long it will be before cruising is acceptable in the northeast US, most areas are open to boating around here but many have serious restrictions with regard to going ashore for now. Awesome timing on our part, though at the time it seemed perfect as it was all allowing us to be ready for the very start of the season. Oh well... Live and learn and alter course when necessary.

The amount of money spent so far has been largely in line with what we expected and we have been living on close to our cruising budget for the last year minus all of the upgrades and repairs to the boat, new anchor, sails, massive blister repairs on the hull, new canvas, standing rigging, etc. We have been over the numbers with financial advisors and accountants and the money should last as long as we need it to. I think the money surprise is a big one for a lot of people trying to get into this. Too many people read about couples doing it for $12k or $20k a year and think they can too. But after living in a 4000sqft house with two cars, big incomes, and the lifestyle that goes with it they realize that $12,000/year is about enough for food and maybe some booze when they take a hard look at their current spending. The lifestyle change is hugely underestimated by many I have spoken to that ended up abandoning the idea or modifying it greatly. If they were not boat owners prior to getting into this they are seriously surprised at how often things need repair, maintenance, and how much it costs to do if you can't do it yourself.

We'll see how things go but we have already lived aboard for a summer and the day we packed it up to move back into our house for the winter we were crushed. What travel we were able to do was wonderful and we learned a lot about how to stock food, personal care items, pet food for the furry crew, how best to set the anchor in new anchorages, how the boat sails in a number of different conditions though admittedly nothing too snotty yet. We've learned when and how much to reef in different conditions, what wind angles the boat really likes, etc. We learned some of what we wanted creature comfort wise, i.e. a water maker and having the generator to make water or charge up the batteries after a few cloudy days. We like showers, I don't want to worry too much about rinsing dishes, and it's nice to be able to rinse the dog off after time at the beach. The water maker is the next big project which should start in a couple of weeks. To use the cruising life mimics much of how we live on land, we cook the bulk of our meals, do our own repairs, are pretty frugal about spending on items we don't really need, and in general enjoy being outdoors and close to nature so the transition is proving to be less jolting than I had first thought.

Lots more to learn but the experience thus far has been a positive one. And this I write after spending the past few days changing out all of the sanitary hosing for the head, some of which was original to the boat, built in 1987...
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:16   #1161

I'll let you know at the end of July.
spyderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:29   #1162

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderkeeper View Post
I'll let you know at the end of July.
Please do!!!
Old 25-05-2020, 19:59   #1163

Boat: Norman Cross 38' Ketch, Vancouver 25, Temptist International, Hobie 16

Hello all,

I kinda fall into the wannabe category. Although, I was in the U.S. Navy, and have lived on a very large inland reservoir my entire life (42yrs). I have sailed; sunfish, compac 16, lazer, hobie cat, and a mac 25. I have guided fishing on my lake for 10 years now, owning multiple powerboats from 30' down to small mud boats. I have always dreamed of sailing the ocean, which never happened in the Navy, as I was assigned to a special warfare duty, that wasn't order to ships. Anyway, I purchased a Cross 38 trimaran 3 weeks ago, which I have to fixed up and get ready to go. While I have a bit of work ahead of me, I do have many hands to help along the way.

My questions are many... so ....
First a little about my new yacht; She is a ketch rigged tri with good hulls and a few areas on deck that need fixed. All three sails have been restitched at least once, but but don't look nor feel ragged. Standing rigging is new two years ago, and has never left the dock, Running rigging in sail away condition. (but no spares) Large bruce plow anchor, and large danforth, (haven't weighed either) 20 meters of gal. chain + 200ft of nylon rode, (200ft nylon rode for danforth). She's not comfy nor pretty yet, but she could sail if need be. Motor 15hp long shaft hung off transom. Electronics wise she is a blank canvas.

So, now the plans. Boat and family live in Texas. Myself, wife, and.... wait for it.... 4 kids. Three of them teenagers...(8,13,14,15) Someone just shoot me now. Anyhow, like I said, I have dreamed the same as many of you once did for far too long, and want to give it a go.... family is on board if merely for the learning experience. Two of the Teenagers are quite good sailors of smaller boats, and I have a brother that has some experience with larger Ketches. Free berth till Nov 30, 2020. (Part of boat deal). Then gunk-hole towards Florida. If we like cruising continue through keys, and to Bahama's if not, moor the boat there and sell cheap. (Not in this to make money, here to have experiences). Stay maybe until March in Bahamas/Caribbean. (no real schedule, just guide line) If it's still fun, moor boat in Exuma area and fly back. (sell/rent house and stuff then continue on) If not sail back to states and sell cheap.

So, here goes the questions. Please bear with me.

1. Have Plastimo contest 101 bulk head compass (This should be perfect. Right)

2. Have Humminbird Helix 9 gps sonar, network capable, has an interesting live sonar mapping that I think will be really handy, and well I already have it. :-) Any reason this is a No go?

3. Need ais and good dsc vhf. Is Standard Horizon gx2000 good enough?
a: What exactly do I "Need" before I register ais,
Fcc amateur radio license?
I assume get with CG on Ais register? Is this needed?

4. Wife wants composting head! Is there a damn good reason not too? :-)
Is there a damn good one, that doesn't cost a $grand$?? Boat is blank
slate, I will build tank-age (I can weld aluminum or stainless)

5. New Radar NOT in budget, ($1k or less) should I consider a used one?
Go with out, based on plans? I will have active 360 degree sonar... not
completely worthless, but again something I already have from being a
fishing guide.

6. Has one new agm battery and two 100 watt solar panels (rigid).
Add 3- 200amp agm batteries, or 2- 100 amp lifepo4, or 2-100amp lipo. (Long time Rc pilot, understand batteries well enough to keep all three options safe) Understand lipo won't last as long, potentially more dangerous, but half the cost, and more power less weight. Input???

Add two flexable 150 watt panels? Is that enough for 4 months of
Family cruising.

7. Motor is in good shape, but it's two stroke, (Will have dingy 8hp long shaft two stroke, and honda four stoke 2.3 as back ups), So question,,, spend 3k on sails or 3k on new motor? ( I nor my wife likes smell of diesel). My money is on new sails, and maybe new motor later on? Change my mind?

8. Spade rudder, and commercial self steer not in budget. Have wheel driven auto-helm, have to install and make sure it works. Is there a way to self steer using sails on a ketch and wheel. I have done this on my compac 16, fractional rig/tiller? Diagram?

9. Ideas for Gunk-holing from Houston to Florida, what to skip and what to absolutely not miss. Family friendly of course.

10. Plan two Porta- bote's as dingy's, one 12' with 2.3 honda air cooled, one 14' with 8hp or 9.9 hp tohatsu (sp). Talk me out of it?

11. Currently titled in Texas.
Transfer title or Coast guard Document?
Do I have to do both.

12. Will have epirb, ais, vhf, and sat phone. Do I need SSB/ Ham.
Any Licenses a must for epirb, ais, vhf, sat phone?

13. I have lived on the water most of my life in various size boats up to
30'. Started solo at age 8 in 16' flat bottom and 25 horsepower
Johnson manual start. County judge said, "If he can start it he can
drive it" (I was ticketed for being under age of 12)
Must I get a captain's License, seems like a painful waste of money....
For me.... I have Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship,(Thumbed
through it) and went through the basic stuff in the Navy, also. Is it a
must have?

14. What documents are must have's for immigration and customs, aside
from passports, insurance, and Id's

15. INSURANCE. I dread that word, but alas in today's age no-one can be
Liable for themselves evidently. So, now insurance tax is required for
just about everything. With whom do you talk to, any specific
companies take care of cruisers, How much should I look to pay for a
38' Cross.

16. Wind instruments. Have hand held anemometer, and windex. I feel a grand is better spent else where, maybe I would spring for a Nasa clipper, seems like the stuff aloft breaks, gets pooped on or something anyway. Change my mind? Fyi. Barring the sog, stw conversation, I have plans for that.

Ok, I am sure I can think of more, but that's enough for now... It's kinda fun being a newbie wannabe btw. Whether or not the dream comes to full fruition, it's still a ton of fun to at least have a dream. :-)

Thanks in advance to anybody that wants to put their inputs. "Nearest yacht club 3 hrs drive from me" So, I can't just go find an old salt.

Ready "GO!!!" :-)

Cheers,

James
DreamBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 20:19   #1164

Boat: Costco boogie board

Welcome to the forum DreamBig! I'm new too. Man that sounds fun. Great ages for the kids as well. Enjoy.

10: Portaboats are awesome especially the new ones. Downside is it isn't much help in an emergency if it's folded up. Tohatsu is bulletproof and everyone will work on it.

I'll leave the rest for the old salts on here.

Bon Voyage!

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Kimo_Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 21:06   #1165

Boat: Still building

Start a new thread....

Move the outboard away from the transom. You''ll thank kme the first time you need it with a swell. Rear of cross beam or through beam in well with sliding mount or pivoted float mount.

Buy sails. They are IMPORTANT.

Composting head = good plan. Listen to wifee. Easy to use. No holes in hull, enables you to go in NP waters and inshore where pump out not allowed (and where shallow draft enables you to go).

Portabotes are rubbish in anything but dead smooth water. Build a nesting 11' dinghy (5' on deck) and furnish it with Laser mast and sail, or simple balanced lug rig. Kids will thank you every day.

Lots of solar panels. You have the real estate. AGM batteries (cheaper than lithium to start with, if you later decide to circumnav, get lithium then).

Two chest fridges, one (smaller) as freezer. Make sure fridge one has domed lid so tall soda and wine bottle scan stay upright otherwise a pain.

Go now. Have fun.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 04:59   #1166

Boat: Norman Cross 38' Ketch, Vancouver 25, Temptist International, Hobie 16

started new thread here ---> https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...63#post3148563

Thanks for the inputs, as you can see I take them to heart! I will reply in the new thread.
DreamBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 21:59   #1167

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29

lol I love this thread as someone who just joined and is on their first boat. I got a columbia 29 for $1 a couple of months ago. Hauled out replaced the cutlass bearing / dripless / and did bottom paint myself. The boat buck is too real...

I have been sailing almost every week since she has been up and going again. Just got an old el toro from Hawaii Yacht Club and am stoked to start taking that out during the week!

Mad respect for all the veteran sailors out there, if you have any tips ears wide open!
zanadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 07:39   #1168

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanadoo View Post
lol I love this thread as someone who just joined and is on their first boat. I got a columbia 29 for $1 a couple of months ago. Hauled out replaced the cutlass bearing / dripless / and did bottom paint myself. The boat buck is too real...

I have been sailing almost every week since she has been up and going again. Just got an old el toro from Hawaii Yacht Club and am stoked to start taking that out during the week!

Mad respect for all the veteran sailors out there, if you have any tips ears wide open!

Welcome to the forum zanadoo. I'm a newbie here as well. Nice price on your columbia. I would love to hear more about that. I'm on Maui.

So this thread moved over to here https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3148563

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Kimo_Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 08:03   #1169

Well this wanna be is inching closer. My wife who was working a few more years in the airline industry to lock in the free flights for us for life benefit was just offered an early retirement! I’m a few years older but we both ironically will have retired at 43. She just made the cut, how lucky and what an incredible benefit for two early retirees with the means to retire young and travel the world. We’ve been doing bareboat charters the last few years to practice and test out different boats, and go to all the big boat shows around the world so we have a pretty good idea of what’s in store and what we like.

Now it’s just about waiting to see what/when the world opens back up to start the process. We cancelled our Norway and Tonga sailing trips this year, but hopefully next season things are wide open again and this virus is behind us. Sometimes opportunity comes out of trying times!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2020, 04:44   #1170

Boat: Bali 4.0

This thread is Hilareous! How did I not stumble upon this one before??

I love how the usedtobbees majority assume that all the wannabees either chickened out and are sitting at home or got eaten by pirates.
Clearly no possibilities in between.
Ever consider than many of us are simply too busy enjoying our passage drink and watching the sunset to come back and tell you that everything is a-okay??

I was a wannabee.

I always lurked quietly here because I knew that if I asked my questions I'd be laughed out of the forum or worse, scared out of chasing my dream.
I knew that I'd get the same old "it's too dangerous and too hard and too expensive and you don't have enough experience" responses that abound on here when wannabees like us looked for a confidence boost from those who had gone before...

Luckily, we ignored all those posts and did it anywway.

When we decided it was time, we shopped for a total of 3days, bought a boat sight unseen from the other side of the country, moved aboard with zero sailing skills/knowledge and almost zero savings after buying the boat.

We set about teaching ourselves how to sail after moving aboard. How to live on a boat, how to set anchor, read the weather, service the engines, you name it... but we did it all WHILE living our dream aboard our own boat. We still are, with zero plans or desires to do anything else!

We learned what the gulf stream was after moving aboard, crossed it on our 4th ever sail, cruised past Georgetown and Luperon (where many got "stuck" because it seemed too easy and too much like home) and kept cruising south.

We've made plenty of mistakes (that's how we learn) and I have no doubt we'll make many more (because we still have much to learn)... but like everything else in life experience is the best possible teacher and we look back now and laugh at the things that seemed huge hurdles before.

Now over 2 years in... we've island hopped our way up and down the Caribbean a couple of times, are looking to cross into the pacific as soon as covid allows, and honestly - wouldn't have changed a thing (other than maybe doing it a decade earlier)!!

While I wouldn't suggest our path is the right path for everyone, it is clear that it IS possible...
That doesn't mean you have to cut the cord with no plan and no knowledge and no money... but for those of you who have some/any of those things - you're already FAR better off than we (and many others also out here) were when we started, so just go make it happen in whatever path/timing is right for you!! YOU GOT THIS!

and if we can help in any way don't hesitate to let us know!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote