Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2021, 04:36   #1276

Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

We're still here, at least I am. I will say I was never a Wannabee on this forum though. It seems to be a might pompous to accuse wannabees of wanting "OUR" knowledge; most everyone learned knowledge from someone else or their own mistakes. One reason for the forum is to share experiences and knowledge with no strings attached.
I've been sailing for over 40 years sometimes on my boat but most of the time crewing. In the beginning, 40 years ago, I had visions of a life on a boat and the adventure of sailing the world. That dream soon disappeared when reality set in. That reality being many kids, wives, lack of money, a surplus of debt and of course a few bad decisions. So, I decided I would crew when the opportunity presented itself to satisfy my sailing dream . I've been doing that, providing a service at the same time and have been very happy doing so. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. As one poster stated, " everyone was a wannabee at one time."
Old 05-08-2021, 14:12   #1277

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
I started a reply and the Internet ate it I think, so apologies if it turns up twice:

I was using a bit of hyperbole with the “middle of the ocean” bit but right now we are frequently stopping for the night in places like Walmart parking lots where it’s generally considered best practice to buy something to say “thanks for the space” so they keep letting RVs stop overnight, so forgetting an onion or planning to pick up meat for dinner at dinner time is no big deal at all - like a 5 min walk across a parking lot and most of that is looking to make sure you don’t get hit crossing. It’s a different approach and different attitude to even camping at campgrounds for a few days at a time, where stores are available but not Right There.

We HAVE a fridge, it’s just decided it no longer wants to work on lpg and running the generator all the time to keep the fridge going (if we’re not somewhere we can plug in, which is most of the time) is just silly. (And expensive.) (It’s one of those two-way RV ones that runs on LPG or AC and is super cranky about being level too.)

My SO is the electronics person so he’s considering options - it looks like the problem with the fridge is a control board that costs as much as some other fridges to replace. The fridge itself also seems to be quite poorly insulated (so you can’t run it for a while then just keep it closed and have it keep a decent temp until you power it again) and a power hog, so we’re not in love with repairing it if it’s going to be expensive. But yes, the “do we have enough ice” dance is also quite tedious and annoying. So we are not sticking with the coolers routine any longer than needed to decide how we’re going to solve our problem properly.

So, one of the things to practice is doing without refrigeration. You can do that now.

Personally I had to have cold beer. I could have been a beer addict or ... an alcoholic.

If you have it, fine but it is small anyway so you learn to not use it. There are lots of recourses to go to that show how to live with little refrigeration. Like a mayo maker that has instructions on how to use their product without refrigerating after opening.
Old 05-08-2021, 14:21   #1278

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

I posted to this thread earlier, as I've been one of those 'wannabes' for several years no, and promised an update. It's been a long process, but so worth it. I've learned tons from this forum, and today... this morning... I closed on my 'new to me' boat.
I just purchased a 2001 Cabo Rico 45, and she is Beautiful! Currently on the Chesapeake Bay where she'll stay until November, then moving her South.
Let the adventure begin!
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 18:44   #1279

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0808 View Post
I posted to this thread earlier, as I've been one of those 'wannabes' for several years no, and promised an update. It's been a long process, but so worth it. I've learned tons from this forum, and today... this morning... I closed on my 'new to me' boat.

I just purchased a 2001 Cabo Rico 45, and she is Beautiful! Currently on the Chesapeake Bay where she'll stay until November, then moving her South.

Let the adventure begin!
Congrats on the purchase! A great adventure awaits.
We are in the chesepeake until fall as well. If you see sv Purrfect, give me a hail on 16
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 19:32   #1280

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

We have been landlubbers at the rat race, rv's, dreamers, wannabees, newbees, liveaboards, ocean-crosser.

YT is not the full truth about living aboard, it is like Hollywood movies about living on land.

You have the same challenges on land and on the water, get food, do something, fix something, enjoy something.

Refrigerators are definitely something you need to deal with as bluewater sailor.

Anyway. Immagine your life on land, with the sailing videos on YT, and then - when you finally do it, it is like your life on land without the YT videos on the screen, instead you look out from your deck, like YT in 3D. [emoji12]

And your favorite YT stars anchor just 100m away, you can wave them a hello or invite them for a drink. (Don't go to their boat if you don't want to end up in a YT video).
Old 05-08-2021, 19:43   #1281

Boat: Still building

"Like YT in 3D"

Pay that..!!!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 20:34   #1282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
So, one of the things to practice is doing without refrigeration. You can do that now.

Personally I had to have cold beer. I could have been a beer addict or ... an alcoholic.

If you have it, fine but it is small anyway so you learn to not use it. There are lots of recourses to go to that show how to live with little refrigeration. Like a mayo maker that has instructions on how to use their product without refrigerating after opening.
Well, that’s one of the things we were trying to test with the switch to a cooler when the fridge decided to be untrustworthy - how much do we really need a fridge. We’ll have to have at least something all the time because I’m on a medication that has to be kept refrigerated, but does that mean just a tiny one for the meds and maybe some fresh milk, or do we need a bigger one for other stuff also?

(That said, I really like ice in my drink, so if we have no freezer I’ll be trying to hide an ice maker somewhere, they make countertop ones these days. )
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 20:41   #1283

^^^^
The benchtop icemaker is a gamechanger. High-ish current draw but not for long.

Means if you don't want to keep meat frozen, or ice-cream, you cna probably get away without a freezer, but utilise a reefer instead. Milk, medicines, opened jars of 'stuff' that need refrigeration....havign a small fridge for this is sensible.

Back in the day, people used powdered milk, powdered eggs, powdered chocolate, canned and preserved meat, fruit etc...

It was a pretty bland diet.
Old 06-08-2021, 23:57   #1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
^^^^
The benchtop icemaker is a gamechanger. High-ish current draw but not for long.

Means if you don't want to keep meat frozen, or ice-cream, you cna probably get away without a freezer, but utilise a reefer instead. Milk, medicines, opened jars of 'stuff' that need refrigeration....havign a small fridge for this is sensible.

Back in the day, people used powdered milk, powdered eggs, powdered chocolate, canned and preserved meat, fruit etc...

It was a pretty bland diet.
I like to cook, so we’re aiming for better than bland. One thing we’re trying to figure out is which of those jars of stuff we actually need - what sauces get used regularly enough to deserve fridge space? Which things can we realistically make as we need it? Etc.

Though we stopped at a West Marine today that had a scratch and dent fridge drawer unit that was super tempting. I really like the drawer idea for accessibility in a basement compartment.
Old 07-08-2021, 00:15   #1285

In terms of sauces, I would suggest BBQ and Tomato Ketchup are the only ones you can't make yourself.
All pasta sauces or Thai-style sauces, or Mexican sauces, can all be made with smaller qtys of either pastes plus additives or from raw materials.
None of the 'ready to heat' sauces are necessary, and are invaribaly inferior and more expensive than those you make yourself.
However, UHT cream (requiring no refrigeration till opened) might be a useful addition to the pantry.
Personally, I use pre-made pesto, simply because I don't use it often enough and a small jar does keep for several weeks - in the fridge - once opened, especially if you add a bit of olive oil to cover the surface. Enough time for me to get the 'pesto craving' a few times.
Ditto Thai-style pastes, such as Red Curry, Green Curry, Masaman, etc....
I can and have made Masaman from scratch, but it is oh so easier to simply decant from a jar. Again, keeps really well once opened. I've used product from a (refrigerated) open jar several months after it was originally opened, but always use a sterile spoon the first time you extract anything.
Really the fridge should only be for storing stuff 'once opened' as, for example UHT milk does not requre refrigeration until opened.
As an anti-plastics fiend, I reject sachets 100%, which some may find difficult to do, but jars stored carefully are unlikley to break, and can at least be recycled once a recycling centre is reached.
So while it would suit me to use tomoato paste.from sachets, becasue of the small qty I usually require (reduced, thicked tomato puree used for flavouring everything with tomato) I will not, so instead I use the smallest tins available, and decant any remainder to a small jar and cover with olive oil, which prevents it oxidising and prevents bacteria getting to it, otherwise it gets a bacterial 'fuzz' pretty quickly, even in the fridge.
In past pre-fridge times, sailors used cheeses stored in brine, which is still a sensible option today, if you can find them! Greek and Turkish stores are a good source, but all cheddar and other hard cheeses can also be 'brined' if needs be. But if you have a fridge, why bother?
Of course, always leave room for a celebratory beer, or space to chill a bottle of wine, and of course, chilled water is fabulous on a hot day.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:33   #1286
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
What happens to all the wannabees?

Being in Greece, you eat a diet that shows its origins in pre refrigerator times. Feta of course here is routinely sold in brine.

I find very little need to refrigerate anything other then Gin , tonic , wine , yoghurt and milk ( I like fresh milk ) and a few cheese varieties ( mainly blue)

The diet tends to be very vegetable orientated

I avoid “ bottled “ sauces almost completely , you can make all sorts of sauces yourself quite easily.

That includes Salad dressings and so forth. I don’t refrigerate Mayonnaise, mustards , tomato purée etc whether opened or not.

If you took out the Coca Cola , various drinks ,water, etc my fridge would be 10 percent full !!

The one thing I miss in Greece is regular easy access to French cheese , Munster , Pont-l'Évêque, Brie de Meaux and Epoisses. Sadly these seem impossible to easily source in Greece outside major inland cities.

The feta in fairness is beautiful
Old 07-08-2021, 14:13   #1287

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
Well, that’s one of the things we were trying to test with the switch to a cooler when the fridge decided to be untrustworthy - how much do we really need a fridge. We’ll have to have at least something all the time because I’m on a medication that has to be kept refrigerated, but does that mean just a tiny one for the meds and maybe some fresh milk, or do we need a bigger one for other stuff also?

(That said, I really like ice in my drink, so if we have no freezer I’ll be trying to hide an ice maker somewhere, they make countertop ones these days. )
I think getting ice for a cooler can be more trouble than getting/fixing fridge.
Counter top ice makers I have only seen in 120vAC. They make DC?
Old 07-08-2021, 19:11   #1288

Doubt it. AC only I suspect. But most boats have enough power gen/storage to run a small one for a short time. Say ice for drinks at sundown...

My fridge/freezer at home is largely taken up with pre-prepped meals. I prefer to cook less often and so save energy and effort. Otherwise chilled water and opened jars of 'in-use' additives or things that could probbaly be left out of the fridge like pickles and preserves, but which last longer and are more pleasant refrigerated.

For example, I seldom eat more than two slices of bread per day, so I freeze the bread and simply defrost those two slices each day. Otherwise I was having to throw away mouldy bread. Very wasteful.

I also tend to buy bulk when things are cheap, so there might be 3 buckets of my favourite ice-cream in the freezer, bought when half-price. Because I have the storage space that isn't being used for anything else.

I frequently have 2 or 3 loaves of bread in the freezer, as the brand/type I buy is often nil-stock at my local, regional supermarket. I think they only get in 5 loaves per day of my preferred Bergen Soy-Lin whole grain, which is a smaller loaf than standard, which I also prefer as it reduces my bread intake.
On a boat I'd probably have to make flat breads, or pikelets, as I would not have the storage capacity.
So it's a matter of adapting your diet preferences to what's possible aboard.
Bearing in mind I'd also be able to fish for fresh protein, something I don't do a lot of as a land-lubber. Fish is ridiculously expensive as a protein source on land.
So I eat pulses a lot. Which would translate well to the boat.
Greenery is a problem on the boat. But I'm OK with tinned veg, and dried. Dried peas, mushrooms are really useful for boat life.
Old 07-08-2021, 20:30   #1289

Quote:
In terms of sauces, I would suggest BBQ and Tomato Ketchup are the only ones you can't make yourself.
All pasta sauces or Thai-style sauces, or Mexican sauces, can all be made with smaller qtys of either pastes plus additives or from raw materials.
None of the 'ready to heat' sauces are necessary, and are invaribaly inferior and more expensive than those you make yourself.
However, UHT cream (requiring no refrigeration till opened) might be a useful addition to the pantry.
Personally, I use pre-made pesto, simply because I don't use it often enough and a small jar does keep for several weeks - in the fridge - once opened, especially if you add a bit of olive oil to cover the surface. Enough time for me to get the 'pesto craving' a few times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Being in Greece, you eat a diet that shows its origins in pre refrigerator times. Feta of course here is routinely sold in brine.

I find very little need to refrigerate anything other then Gin , tonic , wine , yoghurt and milk ( I like fresh milk ) and a few cheese varieties ( mainly blue)

The diet tends to be very vegetable orientated

I avoid “ bottled “ sauces almost completely , you can make all sorts of sauces yourself quite easily.
Yes, so far we’re finding that it’s ketchup, fruit spread (we don’t like the traditional very sweet jam/jelly that uses sugar as a preservative, so once open it has to be kept cold or it gets nasty fast), yogurt, eggs (US eggs don’t keep at room temperature well), pesto (CostCo makes a very good pesto but it’s a big jar so it lasts several meals and has to be in the fridge or freezer), sometimes a half jar of something like a Thai curry paste. I enjoy cooking so a lot gets made from scratch anyway, but some stuff is just impossible to get right (ketchup) or not worth the trouble. (I mean, pesto is quite easy to make IF you have a good source of basil. Which is a big if.)

We have single serving UHT milk for cooking and cereal. Tastes meh but works well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I think getting ice for a cooler can be more trouble than getting/fixing fridge.
Counter top ice makers I have only seen in 120vAC. They make DC?
Quote:
Doubt it. AC only I suspect. But most boats have enough power gen/storage to run a small one for a short time. Say ice for drinks at sundown...

For example, I seldom eat more than two slices of bread per day, so I freeze the bread and simply defrost those two slices each day. Otherwise I was having to throw away mouldy bread. Very wasteful.
Yep, AC only. We have a generator we run a bit most days to charge up everything that needs to be charged, or run the RV AC (as opposed to the ‘cab’ AC which runs when the engine is on like when you’re driving,) so making ice when the generator is on anyway would be no big deal especially if it’s just for a small amount of ice like for drinks.

I should add that the coolers and ice-hunt method is NOT our long term strategy. We’re just investigating our options with regard to fixing the current LPG/AC fridge vs replacing with a residential AC (much cheaper) vs replacing with a DC-only, vs some combination of the above vs something else. It seems a waste to have the RV just sit around while we ponder, so coolers it is.

We have the same problem with bread going bad - I think we might end up with a combination that involves a good freezer possibly in the ‘basement’ area (the storage under the main living space accessed from the outside) and a fridge inside for regular-use stuff. Then we have storage for stuff like half the loaf of bread, things we find on sale (meat and produce, not prepared meals), but it’s not in the same unit as the stuff people are in and out all day to get like yogurt or leftovers. (We have a teenager, he’s constantly hungry especially if he’s been active.) I like the redundancy since it’s less likely BOTH will go bad and if the freezer is well insulated then it should be okay even if it can’t run all the time all day.
Old 29-08-2021, 20:15   #1290

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

after 11 years of wannabeing, made offer on boat today. won't know for 48 hours, then even if that is positive, will be anxious until we have insurance hurdle handled. hopefully this is us moving forward
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote