Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2021, 11:51   #1336
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: What happens to all the wannabees?

Living on a boat, sailing around the world, etc, is typically a guy thing....yes, I know, some women do it too, but speaking in generalities here..

In my travels, I met a fair amount of women willing to give it a go, some made it for a week, some a few months...

I also met a handful of married couples...some with children, but this seems to be the exception.

I'e come across quite a few men singlehanders...not singlehanding by choice, but for whatever reason, unable to make that " connection"..most were men, occasionally a woman. Several young women have made quite the name for themselves in this endeavor.

And then there were those who received a wifely ultimatum...." it's me or the boat" thing...

Could probably write an entertaining book on the subject.

I don't think there is a clear answer, but certainly youth plays in your favor.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 01:54   #1337

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I am currently here in Bass Strait, Victoria, Australia, on my way home from Port Stephens, NSW, Australia.
Heading to Yaringa Marina on Westernport Bay, Victoria Australia,
I will be anchored in Refuge Cove tomorrow some time as there are 4 metre waves on the nose coming on Sunday.
Lakes Entrance to Refuge Cove is about 20 odd hours, Then about 24 hours up to Yaringa,
Not fun going around the bottom of Wilsons Prom in those conditions,

After having a total reconstruction of my right shoulder after a fall on the green slimy moss on a ferry wharfe,
And a left shoulder reconstruction still to go,
My sailing days are over,
You dont see much in towns as you travel unless you have a car or some means of travelling around,
Other wise you see bugga all from a boat,
I am moving to a 36 foot RV, 1989 Foretravel Grand Villa,
I can stop any where I want to go and walk around, see the town and move on, I will see a lot more of the country in a RV,

If I need a boat, I can hire one where ever I am, See what I want to see and continue my journey by RV to the next stop,

The piccys are,
Bermagui, NSW,
Greenfell Point, NSW,
Eden, NSW,
Green Cape lighthouse, NSW,
Lakes Entrance, Victoria,

Cheers, Brian,

PS; My Boat is for sale, $180.000 AUD, Negotiable,
2003 Gemini 105MC, 34 foot sailing Cat,
Fully Optioned for full time live aboard, Offshore,
It will be located at Yaringa Marina, Westernport Bay, Victoria, Australia,

My 2 year trip around Australia was cut short due to severe Injurys,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211217_195344_745.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	249909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_268_4023.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	249910  

Name:	IMG_20211206_143520_886.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	249911   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211212_181859_147.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	249912  

Name:	IMG_20211207_165612_889.jpg
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	249913   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211212_085303_622.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	249914  

Name:	IMG_20211212_202206_736.jpg
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	249915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211215_102949_688.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	249916  

Name:	IMG_20211215_110725_612.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	249917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211215_112241_334.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	249918  

Name:	IMG_20211210_193550_270.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	249919   Click image for larger version

Name:	coach.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	249920  

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2022, 09:34   #1338

Boat: Tayana 37

Well I haven't been around for a bit because I've been off working on the refit and the cast off, but my wife and I are firmly into our version of the "cruising life" and so far so good. We had epic times getting from Galveston to Middle River Maryland back in May and June last year, had a serious finish to the refit that included the classic "professionals" screwing up my boat nd things getting done months after promised, but we sailed to Puerto Rico from Maryland at the end of the year and arrived in Fajardo on the...11th...of January? Dates are getting hazy (thank god - that's the goal...lol)

So my post is - some of those wannabees get busy doing it and disappear off the internet for a while. We're going to spend a full year here in the Carribean going to Grenada and Trinidad / Tobago for Hurricane season (assuming we're allowed to re covid of course) and then decide next winter whether were starting the trade wind circumnavigation via panama canal, or if we'll follow the Europeans home from the Carribean and try our luck there.
Old 22-12-2022, 08:23   #1339

Boat: Tartan 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinglife View Post
I actually had to look up when I joined this forum.

My story :
Joined in 2015 after transitioning out of the military in 2013, going to school and struggling to adjust. Saw the short doc on YouTube "Life aboard a 28 foot wooden boat" that I am sure A LOT of people saw and sparked the fire. That is when I joined and started to do a little bit of research by reading books and reading this forum. I made a comment or a message to a poster on here looking for Crew in San Diego, CA. After volunteering for a boat show, I went to go interview with him and his wife and they gracelessly accepted me on to sail and crew with them on the weekends.

During this time I was playing video games and editing a few videos so I thought "Hey, I could start a YouTube channel too!" Well my first day crewing, their friend/neighbor/fellow liveabord joined us, and he gave me some sound advice "just enjoy it and live in the moment" from then on, I never recorded again ( took a few pics for myself and to show my family/friends ) and honestly will never try to start a channel.

Anyways, I moved to Florida for school at the end of 2015, sailed once in Tampa,FL but being busy with school and gf, couldn't really sail. Tried buying a boat once, but my gf at the time talked me out of it, probably for the best, but damn would have worked out in the end.

After moving around the country for awhile working on school, life depression, finally made it back to Florida. Set a goal of mine to either 1. live by the ocean in Cocoa Beach, or be a live aboard by the end of the year. 2 weeks later I bought a '78 Columbia 8.3 project boat.

Was it a mistake, yeah probably. Is it worth it? Honestly, I think so. I love spending the weekends on it at the marina. Sadly engine doesn't run right now, and can't sail it, but she is mine. I am putting in the work to live aboard by October to save money and pay off debt but also fix her up more.

When I move aboard, I am joining a sailing club, will learn how to sail, go out sailing every other weekend while I fix up the boat and just live the life I want. I will pay off debt, finish my degree and in 1 year I will see if I enjoy it still. If I do, I will continue it for another year, if I don't I will sell it, and just move back on land.

I love living in tiny houses so if this doesn't work, a van or small RV will probably be next but I really do enjoy being on the boat.

**Edit : Rest in Peace Captain Don. Thank you for taking a chance on me and letting me crew on your boat. You literally are what stoked this flame and I will never forget you. I forgot your wifes name, but if she visits on this site, thank you as well, you were great and loving.

Update :

First time I talked to my neighbor at the marina, he asked me "so how much did you pay for her?" I told him $2000 and he laughed and told me "You ****ed up". Crazy old dude.

Guy took me under his wing, introduced me around the marina and it has become my home. I lived on the little Columbia 8.3 from November 27 ( when I got back from a dive trip, which after I landed, went to the VA because I had a 3 day migraine ) so first night living on her full time I just got out of the ER.

As I got to know the people in the marina, going to the BBQs every Friday. Coffee Saturday - Sunday with my neighbors and really enjoying my tiny home. Another neighbor kept telling me "We need to get you out of that boat and into a new one" I would shrug it off, because I didn't have the money. Told him maybe in a year or so.

Well he introduced me to another boat a 1981 Tartan 33 #130 that was on the hard for 9 years. I ended up buying her, Brea-Burn, in March and with the help of another neighbor ( he did all the engine work ) and I did the bottom job, got her started and in the water in 3 weeks.

I have sailed her a handful of times. 2 times by myself. I love this boat. I am still fixing her up interior wise, but she is comfortable to live on. I sail her when I can, but honestly not enough.

I love my life and I wouldn't trade it in for anything. Sometimes when I am walking back to my boat, I can't help but to just look at her and smile and just remember how awesome my life is.

I HAVEN'T EVEN LEFT THE MARINA YET.
Also, all my "neighbors" are hands down my friends as well. I couldn't have done it with out all 3 of them being by my side and having my back. I don't like naming names, but they know who they are because I tell them all the time I couldn't have done it without them. Also to my boss, who if he didn't hire me, I wouldn't be living my best life.
sailinglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 08:47   #1340

Boat: MorganByCatalina OutIslandClassic '41

These wannabes just sold their boat in the year we sailed 1,800 nm and weathered the winter in Marathon’s Boot key harbor.
CaptainDana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 10:39   #1341

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Too many young people today know more about their social media than basic maintenance on everyday items, let alone a boat capable of taking a family safely around the world. The more you know about how to correctly maintain and fix "things" on your boat, the less expensive and scary the cruising will be.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2022, 11:11   #1342

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Hi Sailinglife. Success ! - there are great people living in boats and it is a healthy lifestyle.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2022, 07:18   #1343

Boat: Cape dory 27

I wanted to chime in and speak up for some of us wannabes. haha
I came here and got information from all you people and never posted a thing.

I didnt know how to sail and bought a 27ft cape dory. I planned to go on a week or so long "cruise" around lake michigan to see if I like sailing.

That was Lake michigan last september. I just hit daytona beach and am pointed towards panama
https://forecast.predictwind.com/tra.../SV-Albatross/

some of us actually sail.
Roswell715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2022, 16:32   #1344

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Good on you.
Old 31-12-2022, 17:28   #1345
Marine Service Provider

This thread could really be applicable to many aspirations and dreams in life, not just cruising.

For most, the process of turning the dream into reality is quickly halted when the real scope of the project becomes known.

It requires a lot of dedication, work, money, planning and a litany of other personal hurdles to overcome.

For the majority of people, these hurdles represent an insurmountable wall, and the project, whatever that might be, dies a quick ignoble death.

It's all to easy to " talk" about one's dream her with fellow cruisers on this forum, but the reality is that these folk are just living vicariously through those that do so.

While I was building my boat, I used to get a slew of "visitor's" that came to see "what I was doing". I never knew their names and never asked, but I could tell by the sadness in their faces that they were wishing they could be standing in my shoes.

They'd come for 20-30 minutes and shoot the breeze with me, get their fill of living vicariously and depart to wherever they came from.
Old 31-12-2022, 19:41   #1346

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Living on a boat, sailing around the world, etc, is typically a guy thing....yes, I know, some women do it too, but speaking in generalities here..
There are lots of solo female cruisers and for one example just check out Wind Hippie on Youtube,
https://m.youtube.com/@WindHippieSailing
a very good channel. She was raised cruising. I cannot imagine how much tougher it must be for them though putting up with frankly the guys who are the problem on top of everything else sailors put up with
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 05:55   #1347

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
There are lots of solo female cruisers and for one example just check out Wind Hippie on Youtube,
https://m.youtube.com/@WindHippieSailing
a very good channel. She was raised cruising. I cannot imagine how much tougher it must be for them though putting up with frankly the guys who are the problem on top of everything else sailors put up with
Tough subject these days but "lots" is subjective.
The numbers speak for themselves.
Old 01-01-2023, 06:34   #1348
Marine Service Provider

There have been some remarkable and epic voyages undertaken and completed by women, no question about that, so kudo's to them all !!!
Old 04-01-2023, 19:00   #1349

Boat: 1978 Tartan 34C

My wife and I were once "wannabees" I gained a lot of information from this forum. I did not post much or ask to many questions. Most of my questions and concerns were already answered by using the search function. It took us 2 years to refit our Tartan 34c. We left to go fulltime cruising in September of 2021. We left from San Francisco and have spent our time slowly going down around Cabo San Lucas and spent the summer in the Bahia De los Angeles area. It has been an amazing journey so far. We have been anchored in a small Cat 1 hurricane, our engine has been broken for 4 months, it is currently being repaired. forcing us to be better sailors, have had many sleepless nights in rolly anchorages, wondering why we chose to do this!!

We have enjoyed many sunsets, sea life, met amazing people, seen incredible things, and have learned so much. We are going to keep living this lifestyle for as long as we can.

Thank you to everyone that has added knowledge, advice, and words of encouragement on this forum!

Some of us wannabees actually do make it!!!
Old 05-01-2023, 04:31   #1350

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlespeed View Post
Too many young people today know more about their social media than basic maintenance on everyday items, let alone a boat capable of taking a family safely around the world. The more you know about how to correctly maintain and fix "things" on your boat, the less expensive and scary the cruising will be.

The main reason young people know more about social media than basic maintenance is that things simply don't break as often as they used to.

Whereas with social media something is always happening.

Back in the day cars, computers, electronics, household appliances were always malfunctioning.

If you owned a car, you almost had to know how to work on it.

Computers for those that had them also had continuous problems.

Today though most times it's the software and/or new OS's, updates, etc that are the main problem for many.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote