Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 17:11   #16

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: What is this crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. lulz View Post
What I'm surprised about is the fact that cleaning could have been done before taking pictures for it to be advertised, but hasn't.
Some owners havent been to their boat in years and years...many have rainwater up and over the oil pans of the engines, the decks leak, windows cracked, hull deformed from a bad block job...any you are commenting on a little mildew???? Wow!!!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 17:12   #17

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: What Is this Crap ?

When looking at boats I don't care much about the cosmetics. I've seen lots of spic and span boats that weren't seaworthy. Just because someone keeps everything really clean doesn't mean they maintain stuff that is important. In fact, a lot of brokers insist on having the boat detailed before the pictures are taken or before showing it, so all that cleaning may have been done by a professional crew the day before, indicating nothing about the state of the systems or the rigging. You can buy boats cheaper that don't have good cosmetics, because it does turn off a lot of people if there is mildew under the hatches.
Old 07-08-2011, 17:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Some owners havent been to their boat in years and years...many have rainwater up and over the oil pans of the engines, the decks leak, windows cracked, hull deformed from a bad block job...any you are commenting on a little mildew???? Wow!!!
I'm commenting on mildew I actually see, not hypothetical rainwater up and over the oil pans of the engines, the decks leak, windows cracked, hull deformed from a bad block job

Wow!!!

You might want to make note that the serious problems you're talking about are costly problems which would obviously be problematic to fix before getting the boat ready for advertising.
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 17:33   #19

Boat: Finnsailer 38

One boat I looked at was unusually clean down below and had almost nothing in it--no cushions, no dishes, no nothing. I discovered why when it started to rain and the deck, ports, and fittings leaked so bad that the broker must have had to wipe everything down after every rainstorm in order to show the boat. Of course the real turnoff on this nice looking boat was the fist-sized hole someone had forgotten to plug in the fiberglass part of the bottom of the keel. As is, the boat would have gone right to the bottom if launched.
Old 07-08-2011, 18:26   #20

Quote:
I'm commenting on mildew I actually see, not hypothetical rainwater up and over the oil pans of the engines, the decks leak, windows cracked, hull deformed from a bad block job

Wow!!!

You might want to make note that the serious problems you're talking about are costly problems which would obviously be problematic to fix before getting the boat ready for advertising.
but many boats with issues like I mentioned ARE advertised...just the pics avoid the problem areas....

in some parts of the country a well maintained boat actively being used has hatches like that because they get like that in a week or two.
Old 07-08-2011, 18:31   #21

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Quote:
I've always wondered what this stuff was when looking at pics on yachtworld.com

It looks like something that can be removed, but I see it so prevalently that I am starting to doubt that it can be removed. If it can be removed, why would people try to sell their boat looking like this instead of cleaning it up?

This dirty looking brown stuff:

Are you going to buy it? If so, use it as a bargaining point. If not.........don't worry about it.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 20:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsailors View Post
If not.........don't worry about it.

Cheers
Is it me, or are many people getting defensive possibly about the cleanliness of their own boat? I could seriously care less. I am talking about "this crap" (allegedly mildew), not your crap.
Old 07-08-2011, 20:48   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
but many boats with issues like I mentioned ARE advertised...
I'm aware that some people actually advertise what's wrong with their boat, but this has absolutely nothing to do with being able to fix something before they advertise.
Old 07-08-2011, 21:24   #24

Boat: Triton 24

Visble lack of minor maintenance may be indicative there are major problems as well. Or not. Judging based on mildew seems a bit precipitous. I'd prefer a proper inspection and I'd prefer seaworthiness to cosmetics (though both are of course nice).
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:13   #25

Quote:
I've always wondered what this stuff was when looking at pics on yachtworld.com

It looks like something that can be removed, but I see it so prevalently that I am starting to doubt that it can be removed. If it can be removed, why would people try to sell their boat looking like this instead of cleaning it up?

This dirty looking brown stuff:

you have your answer....the owner or the broker doesn't clean it up fr a variety of reasons... no particular reason...they just don't as most boats are sold with many simple things wrong with them
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32   #26

Boat: Small and simple, under 30'

Mold and mildew are a part of life up here in the Pacific Northwest. I have had mildew like that in just a few weeks after cleaing.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post
Mold and mildew are a part of life up here in the Pacific Northwest. I have had mildew like that in just a few weeks after cleaing.

over here in the other corner of the US...it's HOT and humid! same issue but in overdrive....
Old 08-08-2011, 12:00   #28

Who keeps the life jackets in the lazarette? Wouldn't want to be wearing any of those, damp, covered in oil, yeesh!
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Who keeps the life jackets in the lazarette? Wouldn't want to be wearing any of those, damp, covered in oil, yeesh!
if you need one...it could be covered in dog doodoo and you would wear it...
Old 11-08-2011, 23:03   #30

equipment for a boat?
cruifish is offline   Reply With Quote