Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 17:31   #1

What's the deal with brokers?!?!

Hi All,
I know that most of you have purchases many boats in your lives and have a myriad of experiences with a wide range of yacht brokers. I've purchased a few myself and I swear, every single one of them has been dodgy scum that is not only lazy but incompetent?!

I've heard many stories, from here as well, that some people have had GREAT experiences with their broker and their overall transactions. That so far has been a unicorn and I'm sick of these idiots being in the way of a pleasant experience. If these brokers really hate their lives, then, do something else, stop making everyone around you, especially your client base, suffer for your crap lives..

Ok, had to rant as I'm still on the market and dreading my next experience even though I've been sailing since 12 and only feel alive on the water.. Oh well..

Cheers all for hearing me out... LOL
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 22:27   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: What's the deal with brokers?!?!

I have used a broker four times. It's been 50/50. One guy I even nicknamed..."The Ferengi" from the Star Trek series.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:05   #3

LOL.. I feel yah... Some just came across as lemon lot used car salesmen.. Annoying.. The only time that I've actually witnessed, not personally experienced true professional and proper caliber of service was when I had friends that purchased yachts that were well over a million.. I was there to help them with a few things and an extra pair of eyes..
Old 07-10-2020, 07:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away I was a yacht broker. Yes there were certainly plenty of scoundrels in the business. In fact the guy that was manager of the company I worked for was a lying, scum bag that would tell a buyer anything he/she wanted to hear to get the deal. Another boss I worked for even cheated the employees and stole business from the other brokers.

And when I bought my last boat I did contact a few brokers and the ones I found were pretty useless. One case, I found a boat that I liked, called the broker but was told a deal was just signed on the boat but he said he would love to find me a boat. So I gave him my list of must have, not negotiable requirements: cutter preferred but sloop could work, center cockpit with aft cabin, moderate draft fin or modified fin with skeg hung rudder. A few days later he offered me an aft cockpit, full keel ketch. Needless to say I never called him back.

But, just like boaters and people in general you cannot generalize and say they're all bad. Plenty of brokers are cruisers or sailors that found a way to make a living in a field that they love. They are honest and will work to help you find a suitable boat. You just have to sort through the idiots and crooks to find one like this.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:03   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

I have only used 1 broker and used him for both my boats. He was a good honest guy and I got good attention for him.

You have to check into the broker you pick.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:34   #6

Boat: Camano 41

Why would anyone do less research on the guy making the deal than the boat itself? If you are saying everyone, except the unicorn is a swamp creature, maybe you are fishing in the wrong pond. I used the same broker 3 times, twice selling and once buying. Brokers around here want 10% of the sale price, the seller pays that, but some amount of work has to be done in order for both parties to be satisfied. I prefer boaters over brokers, there has to be some basic boat knowledge. I have also done 2 private deals, 1 a purchase and 1 a sale.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:47   #7

I think you guys have misread my original post.. Everyone that I came across was a useless clown.. I didn't say all of them... And they seemed to be attached to the boats that I was interested in.. Just wanted to clear that up with everyone...
Old 07-10-2020, 08:47   #8

Brokers and used car salesmen are cut from the same cloth.

Are there good ones...probably but I've yet to meet one.

Go into it with your eyes open and assume they will be useless and you take responsibility for everything and you should come out OK.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

I was very content to sail my own boat around Georgian Bay and friends boats in Lake Ontario, work part-time at a West Marine location that allowed me to set my own schedule, get boat parts at far lower than retail cost and do the occasional boat delivery for the brokerage I now work as a sales associate for. West Marine leaving Canada for good coinciding with a near-fatal heart attack left me landbound and sad, until I was offered the position of broker/sailboat division I now hold proudly. And I am grateful to be working for the brokerage I am as Ethics is above all else here.
I have had similar bad experiences trying to co-brokerage deals with other agents, but my worst experiences always seem to be with brokers in Florida, looking for boats for clients while enjoying winter months where it's warm, who don't have the time of day or courtesy to listen, much less assist. Their dismissive attitude and in many cases rudeness is astonishing. Phone calls not returned, appointments not kept, crapcan boats recommended as Turn-Key and generally wasting my time.
I'm sorry for the bad experiences many of you have had. I pride myself on returning phone calls asap, Emails responded to quickly. Listening to clients tell me their needs, and wants and the joy I get introducing a buyer to their dream boat, or helping a boatowner out when they are no longer able to do so.
Piratenorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:57   #10

I would have to agree with the comment comparing brokers to secondhand car salesmen. Most of the brokers that I have met know nothing about yachts, but they do know a lot about their commission.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:03   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia
Wink Re: What's the deal with brokers?!?!

I am currently looking to purchase a Cat and I am finding that the brokers I have come across are simply not listening. I understand how they are paid but I havn’t felt that they genuinely care about my preferences. I hope that if I’m purchasing a broker listed yacht, I can find a good broker to represent me. I would prefer making a private deal but it will depend on the yacht I am interested in. I have followed the Used Catamaran prices for years and those listed through brokers are generally listed 10 - 15% higher. My 2 cents.
Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:05   #12

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
............I've purchased a few myself and I swear, every single one of them has been dodgy scum that is not only lazy but incompetent.............If these brokers really hate their lives, then, do something else, stop making everyone around you, especially your client base, suffer for your crap lives.....
Very sorry to hear about your poor boat broker experience. I have bought and sold many used sailboats and a motor yacht and currently purchasing a used 44 ft sun deck motorboat all with excellent broker experience. All of these brokers are boaters and very helpful and have made or currently making my boat buying experience smooth and flexible for me. For example, my current San Francisco, California broker drove 2 hours to show me the boat last week in Stockton (because the seller did not want to move the boat to the SF Bay), did it again yesterday for the engine survey and will do it again tomorrow for a sea trial and marine survey. All this for a boat selling <$100,000. All my brokers have scheduled the haul out and marine survey, title documentation and driving the boat to the boat yard after purchase for bottom paint and in a couple of cases proposed competitive marine insurance and loans.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:10   #13

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Remember, brokers work on commission. The amount of effort they put into working with you will vary with your budget. Looking for a $1M dollar boat? I'm sure they will be falling all over you. Looking for a $15K, with only a $2K commission there will be less effort.

A couple of suggestions. Ask for broker recommendations from others. I know 2 brokers who will treat you fairly, one on the west coast and one on the east coast.

Retain a broker as a Buyer's broker. He works for you and your interests not the sellers. This is at no cost to you, as the brokers will split the commission. Again, the effort made will be reflected in your budget.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:25   #14

Boat: CD25

What is the commission % of the final sale?
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:25   #15

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
...........Retain a broker as a Buyer's broker. He works for you and your interests not the sellers. This is at no cost to you, as the brokers will split the commission...........
Dave brings up an excellent point!! I used a local broker, who split the commission with the listing agent, when I purchased a motor yacht 500 miles from my home. I will also add my broker also referred me to a delivery captain who joined and taught me how to operate the boat me on the trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote