Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2021, 20:38   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: When did manufacturers get so exclusive at boat shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
... It just seemed that the high end guys decided that they no longer wanted the unwashed masses on their boats at boat shows....which makes you wonder why they even bother to go to boat shows?
Seems to me you've already hit on your answer. They don't want to bother with the poor folk.

As to why they come to general shows, I guess they figure they are enough moneyed folks to make it worth their while.
Old 18-10-2021, 02:47   #17

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

I think there are valid arguments from both sides and - perhaps fortunately - when a Salesmen's nose for the 'tyre-kicker' lets him down, he rarely learns of 'the one that got away'.
In 2003 I met a friend at the Southampton Boat Show who wanted my advice & input - he must've been desperate! - and by the end of the day he'd put down his deposit on a Moody. I hadn't thought it was the best choice/value for money for what he was after and said so, but I'd missed what for Rob was the yacht's biggest selling point: The Moody stand was immediately adjacent to one (I really can't remember whose, but it might've been either Dufour or Dehler) which'd been unable/uninterested in letting him look at their offering earlier in the day and it was apparently "worth it to have their salesman see me shake hands on the deal."
Old 18-10-2021, 02:48   #18

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

posted twice?
Old 18-10-2021, 03:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Just reinforces the books and their covers. If you really believe it’s how you present yourself, then you don’t believe in the old Texas jibe about all hat and no cattle.
Being from the North, I never heard that Texas jibe.

Love it!

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 04:44   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Being from the North, I never heard that Texas jibe.

Love it!

LittleWing77
texsas Jibe
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 05:17   #21

I'm thinking that because of elevated demand, the higher-end boatmakers have chosen to focus their show time on the better prospects. I agree that there should be some time made for the great unwashed... it's a public show. But the show time is limited and the goal is to get the orders.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 05:23   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

The only boat we went on was an Anteres 44’ cat. They did not have a big line and let about a dozen at a time on the boat. One chap was trying to ask about a boat show discount. The representative simply said “No discounts, we have a 2-1/2 year backlog, sorry.”

At one time an Anteres was a BIG cat. Now it looks smallish in comparison. But we like it, looks well done and thought out.

At about 2pm on Saturday there was still a big line for the Amel 50. I overheard a rep talking about the line, 40 minute wait.

My impression is that there were a lot of non boaters there. Big crowds.

It has been few years since we have gone. We have been out living aboard. Looking at the show it felt very hollow. It may have a lot to do with “coastal living” but it felt like there was little to do with actual cruising.

I did have a good conversation with a Scanmar rep about Pelagic AutoPilots. He was very helpful. It seems I need to mail mine back to the company to have the sensor and software updated. Did not known that.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 05:36   #23

Boat: J/88

For what it is worth, you and I are different consumers than we were a few years ago. Shopping on the net has given us first a hunger to see every possible iteration of the product, and second less respect for the time/cost/effort of the sales force.

Think about one of the scenarios posted above where someone had no intention to buy but rather wanted to pick information and knowledge from the people and product on display. Some of this has always happened and the exhibitors put themselves out there for it when they buy space at a show, but it is worse and the world is struggling to find ways to deal with it, some of them not very palatable.
Old 18-10-2021, 05:43   #24
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

If I were one of the 1% that can afford boats like that, I certainly would not want to be crushed in with the unwashed masses. If the sales people don't shoo them off, that would discourage far more sales than allowing crowds pushing and shoving in the hope that one is a billionaire in disguise.
It seems to me the obvious solution is to designate some hours as "open house" and some as appointment only.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 05:53   #25

There are a few things one shouldn't forget:

With a popular product, any tire-kicker you let on the boat takes away the chance to deal with a qualified prospect instead. Sure, if you stand alone in your booth, you welcome anyone. But as soon as there's a queue, better get rid of the tire-kickers.

Another aspect is that there are some tire-kickers starting unreasonable philosophical discussions (eg why catamarans are per-se totally unsafe for real blue water cruising, why spade rudders are crazy dangerous etc). Best kick them out. I also observed, that random people coming on board just for the fun of it tend to be less careful about the inventory than potential customers. And the last thing you want is a bunch of unruly kids doing pillow-fights in the master cabin (seen this once on a boat-show).

And last, if a serious prospect isn't able to contact you beforehand and only realises while walking around the show that our $1 million cat might be an option, he hasn't done his research yet. He then is either not very serious yet, already made his decision or will be back. So often, no big loss compared to the ability to have time for more serious prospective buyers
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 05:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
If I were one of the 1% that can afford boats like that, I certainly would not want to be crushed in with the unwashed masses. If the sales people don't shoo them off, that would discourage far more sales than allowing crowds pushing and shoving in the hope that one is a billionaire in disguise.
It seems to me the obvious solution is to designate some hours as "open house" and some as appointment only.
Good solution JBP, I hope some more of that happens so that all constituencies get a crack. The really difficult and often offensive process is the profiling that relegates some into categories they don't belong in and cuts off access to them as customers due to the offense.

It really reminds me of the Mighty Ships episode that covered off a diamond mining ship off the coast of Africa that sucked up rocks and pebbles off the bottom of the ocean. They discarded all pebbles/rocks over a certain size knowing they might be sending huge diamonds back over the side but knowing that they couldn't process everything and so they had to focus on the most viable size.
Old 18-10-2021, 05:57   #27

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

Went to the Newport show this year. At the Hinckley booth, the first qn was, “what’s your budget, or are you errr…(read, lowlifes) just looking?” When they actually let us in (not a lot of people looking, end of last day), the contempt in her voice when she said “and PLEASE don’t touch anything, because, you know, we don’t want you to fall and get hurt” - was oozing out of every pore. And on the same afternoon, we had a very nice sit down chat with the chaps from the Brooklin Boat Yard.
No, I’m not buying either a Hinckley or a BBY. I am indeed just looking. But if it costs you nothing either way, why be so mean? You’re kind of in the business of bringing beauty to the world, not just making money. No?
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 06:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post
You’re kind of in the business of bringing beauty to the world, not just making money. No?
Sure, there is an element of art there but quite likely the salesperson only gets paid for the deals they close.
Old 18-10-2021, 06:25   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

I attended the Toronto Boat Show for many years while learning and building up my cruising skills. The first year I was there, I did wonder around the new, high-end boats on display. I had zero interest or ability to purchase, but I was curious.

It was a bit like wandering through a museum ... look but don't touch (too much). And I was pretty unimpressed with the functionality of what I saw. Mostly dockominiums.

After that first year I never bothered to even try and look. They weren't what I wanted, and there was no way I could ever afford them anyway, so why waste time (mine, and the sales person's)?
Old 18-10-2021, 06:47   #30
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post
“and PLEASE don’t touch anything, because, you know, we don’t want you to fall and get hurt”
That is certainly irritating, but not everyone is conscientious about not trashing the show boats. There is a small but significant number of people who will break things, make a mess, touch everything, etc. because they don't care about anyone except themselves. After a long day of this, the sales people's nerves can be frazzled.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show