Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2021, 06:52   #31

Re: When did manufacturers get so exclusive at boat shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post
No, I’m not buying either a Hinckley or a BBY. I am indeed just looking. But if it costs you nothing either way, why be so mean? You’re kind of in the business of bringing beauty to the world, not just making money. No?
Do you want an honest answer?

In reality, it costs a lot to transport and exhibit large boats, and they're not spending all that money to bring a little beauty into our lives. It has to result in orders.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 06:58   #32

I'd like to echo the comment from someone else in the thread. I don't bother with boats that are not vaguely in the right price/feature bracket. I'm not buying a dinghy, nor am I buying a 60ft motor yacht. So I am not interested in taking time to see them.

I did go on board a Rival at the Earls Court boatshow in London towards the end of their day. The sales guy was sitting down below. I was a 30 something. He asked if I had a boat and I told him what I had, which was a 28ft Etap. I then said I could probably not afford this boat. He told me that his customers tended to be in their 50s or 60s and were having one last splurge before retirement. And that if I was interested they would love to talk to me in more detail when the time was right. But I wasn't interfering with other prospects. I was at least a sailor and owned a boat. And he was happy for me to putter round and take a look. That is long term thinking. And cost nothing.
petermjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:02   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
As to why they come to general shows, I guess they figure they are enough moneyed folks to make it worth their while.
Its a day out with the kids looking at expensive boats and dreaming. Its a fun thing to do. Many don't and won't own a boat. Some have a MAB (manky auld boat) others a respectable 30-40 footer, but very few with 1/4m in their pocket to buy new and that's what the salesman wants. He has a house mortage to pay after all.

The problem for the middle group is getting to the equipment manufacturers to discuss products. Kids with sticky ice fingers and ice cream everywhere just get in the way if its a weekend show. Early morning mid week better.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:05   #34

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Being a ready buyer or a "tire kicker" is not the question. IT IS A BOAT SHOW. You have to buy a ticket to get into a boat show. If you bought a ticket...you should not be barred from going on a boat. If a brand thinks that they are soooooo exclusive that they will block paying guests; then they should not go to boat shows.
Nothing is more annoying than an arrogant yacht broker who probably lives in his mothers basement.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:25   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxGazer View Post
I was also at the Annapolis boat show and I 100% disagree. There wasn’t a single boat I had trouble getting on without appointment and felt at times there were too many people on at a time.

I was there Fri and Sat. What day did you go?
Sunday. My fault because Sunday was nice; I don't doubt that there weren't any lines during the deluge or lead up to the deluge on Saturday! Unfortunately had clients who wouldn't have been impressed when I told them I couldn't attend events on Thursday and Friday because I had to go to the boat show.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:37   #36

Boat: Colegate 26

Furthermore, these are *manufactured* boats. They're trying to build a air of class an sophistication which they most certainly do not have, so that they can justify their absurd costs, draw a bigger crowd, and attempt to compete with high quality boats.

And some how they've all gotten a wait list several years long. Most of what I see online is people complaining about the (lack of) quality of their manufactured catamarans and all the work they have to have done to get it right after delivery.

We've gone to the Annapolis boat show a few times now and have no intent on returning. If there's a boat there that I want to see I'll figure out a time and place I can see it without the hassle of boat show crowds.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 08:00   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Seems to me you've already hit on your answer. They don't want to bother with the poor folk.

As to why they come to general shows, I guess they figure they are enough moneyed folks to make it worth their while.
I helped show a new, million dollar Cat at Annapolis a few years back. The policy was to let too many on at a time. The reality is that boat shows are like the carnival for a lot of attendees and they just bounce around from boat to boat like they're going from ride to ride. The vast majority are a waste of sales time and can cost the time it might take for a salesperson to truly distinguish their offering from the competition. Also, let's don't forget, we're still in a pandemic and that can be a factor in making crowd control decisions.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 09:25   #38

Boat: Catalina 30

When my wife & I were in the market and went to an Annapolis Boat Show, I was surprised by how badly people treated the show boats. Especially if they had small children. Just for that I would restrict access to a large ticket boat too. In addition, a smaller number of people is more 'cozy' and easier to talk.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 09:50   #39

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP
Angry Re: When did manufacturers get so exclusive at boat shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Hmmm. I went to Miami in 2020 and went aboard every sailing cat there. I was even dragged from cat to cat within a brand when I really didn’t want to see them.

Yes, they had the appointments and gatekeepers and all that. I was only looking to steal ideas for my custom build.

But the sales people were pulling me in to see these boats.

Rob, how did you dress? Were you carrying around a lot of freebies? What shoes did you have on? Hair neatly done? Wife or significant other in tow?

These things all matter to sales people sizing you up.
If this is what is required just to look at a boat @ the show I have made my last trip to Annapolis! FO!
Old 18-10-2021, 09:53   #40

Boat: Leopard 48

I just got back a few minutes ago. I was able to see all the boats I wanted to and yes, I did make reservations. I agree they were more a lot more selective this year than in previous shows I have gone to. A couple of thoughts though:
- Other than the Kinetic 54 all the cats were private owner boats lent to the manufacturer for the show. I remarked to my wife no way in he.. I would let our Leopard be in the show given the literally thousands of folks on board. You have to put in perspective that the owner is literally doing them a favor and the manufacturer is trying to protect their boat. Yes there are 'incentives' to lend your yacht for the show but were talking an added ice maker or upgraded chart plotter. I literally saw the boats wearing in real time, scars on the corners of cabinets, dings in the floor where people dropped their phone or camera, scratches in the stainless fridge doors, a broken helm foot rest etc. There needs to be a balance between just anyone on board and to your point the manufacturer not attending the show.
- Reservations took about an hour to setup for 4 boats, not the worst but I get your point about not being able to look without getting harassed there needs to be middle ground. I think the average buyer, however clothed, who can afford 500k down and wait 18m for a new $2m cat likely has the forethought to schedule an appointment regardless of whether they plan to buy this season or not. That's why in my opinion you don't need a reservation for a L45 and you do for the HH50.
Just my two cents.
wathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 09:55   #41

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

This must be a somehow a COVID-19 thing: 2 years ago, I was at the Annapolis boat show and could get on all the boat I wanted: cats, Amel, Garcia, Swan. I was actually really surprise how welcoming the sales people were, even if I clearly stated that I would not buy those beauties...
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 10:06   #42

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Sunday. My fault because Sunday was nice; I don't doubt that there weren't any lines during the deluge or lead up to the deluge on Saturday! Unfortunately had clients who wouldn't have been impressed when I told them I couldn't attend events on Thursday and Friday because I had to go to the boat show.
Apologies because this is off topic but hopefully will help someone. I'm a slow learner but you don't have to be. It took me until my mid-40s, a divorce & a heart attack to realise that if I really wanted something (non-work) to happen, it had to be in my diary. Last thing I did at the end of every year after that was to cross out all the days & weeks I would NOT be working in the coming year - boat shows included where relevant.

I had to work - so I cut my work year by just 13% (from 230 to 200 days) which doubled my vacation time from 6 to 12 weeks. Result!

You can get a lot done in 2 weeks of 4 days each which gives you a useful 4 day weekend in the middle.

Work smarter not harder. Only do what only you can do - delegate the rest.
The 80/20 rule always applies. Focus on the 20% of your time that produces the 80% of (whatever you want) - keep working on that until its all high end. & don't be greedy...

There are lots of days in a year when you are not available to your clients anyway. They dont need to know why. & in case of real emergency - if all else fails - there's always the mobile phone.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 10:07   #43

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

One issue is that many of the boats are actually privately owned and perhaps the dealers are sensitive to wear and tear. The two dealers I talked to say they limit access only to allow space and face time for visitors and are not really trying to pre screen.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 10:25   #44

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
This must be a somehow a COVID-19 thing: 2 years ago, I was at the Annapolis boat show and could get on all the boat I wanted: cats, Amel, Garcia, Swan. I was actually really surprise how welcoming the sales people were, even if I clearly stated that I would not buy those beauties...
Was the show busier than 2 years ago? My perception of the market is that it is much busier the last 12-18 months than it has been and that this may be an outcome from Covid lockdowns and working from home.
Old 18-10-2021, 10:31   #45

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls
When did boat show organizers get so exclusive at boat shows?

I am a tire-kicker. I have a little old boat with which I'm perfectly happy, but in the next 3 years am thinking about retiring to a mooring ball or dock attached to $50,000 or so of liveaboard. I was there on a very busy Friday afternoon to get an idea of new gadgets for solo sailors and using the brochure, identified 12 32-45ft monohulls I wanted to see to get a feel for size and space. I got onboard the Tartan 38 but was denied a visit to the Beneteau 331 at the hybrid dock. It was too crowded for Covid's sake and there were too many super yachts and catamarans.
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show