Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 19:30   #106

Boat: Olson 40
Re: When is a Captain not a Captain?

A humorous read. And like most humor, there is some truth there.

But in general when talking about vessels, "captain" means the person in charge.

A "Captains License" says Master on it, but it is called by nearly everyone I have ever met a "Captains License."

Sure, there are pedants who disagree. But being pedantic is simply a good way to end up lonely.

So, if you want to call it a Master's ticket, or whatever, go ahead. If you want to call the person in charge of the vessel something other than captain, go ahead. Most won't throw you off the boat.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 19:41   #107

Commercially.....hereabouts most people stepping on board ask for the Old Man when looking for the me, even crew refer to me as the Old Man.....

Female Master/Captain ? not sure what happens there, being referred to as the Old Lady may not go down as well.......
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 19:45   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Commercially.....hereabouts most people stepping on board ask for the Old Man when looking for the me, even crew refer to me as the Old Man.....

Female Master/Captain ? not sure what happens there, being referred to as the Old Lady may not go down as well.......
I can't wait to serve under a Mistress...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:19   #109

Boat: Skookum 53'

I once knew a licensed captain who legally change his name to "Captain _" I'm leaving the first name out for his privacy. It wasn't about hubris, he did have a sense of humor, and of course everyone called him that anyway. I don't know what the hu hu is about. I earned my stripes through hard work, study, and spending a life time working at sea as a Master of different vessels. When filling out what ever paperwork, they ask for the Master. Then address you as "Captain". I don't insist on being addressed as "Captain" or "Master" , but when the officials come aboard the vessel and ask for the Master, everyone points at me. About the only terms that raise my hackles is "Yo!" or "Hey You!" At which point I usually ignore whomever is addressing me as such until they get in my face, and then I introduce myself as "(Insert first name here)". I don't ever see anyone accusing a doctor of being a banty rooster because he/she introduces him/herself as "Doctor So and So". I don't parade the title about, nor do I correct people who address me as Mr., but it is the title of my position on the vessel, and I take the responsibility of it seriously. My ego is not tied to any title, except maybe "arsehole" which in some cases is true. If you are a dilatant about going to sea, then eventually the sea will take care of you.
Old 07-07-2014, 19:25   #110

As a current US Navy o-6 (Captain) to civi's, I can safely say I have never served as the Captain of any ship except my PWC.

I do paperwork and play politics in my day job. Long gone are those days. I still get slightly upset when Navy personnel are called sailors. We should be called nukers these days.
cloudwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 17:06   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

It's disturbing to me to read of so many that consider my user name to be a sign that I am a "pretentious *******". Of course this has little relevance within my own micro-culture where it is common place for people on the water to refer to each other as captain. On an international forum, I would expect people to recognize that terms don't have the same connotation worldwide. I have no misunderstanding of an Australian referring to a friend as his mate; however, I know that in my neighborhood if I were to introduce someone as my mate, they would be thought of as my sexual partner. With the recognition that so many see the use of this term as undeserving, I will pursue a change. It's probably best,- When another member once asked me about the validity of my username I googled "Captain Force" and found that it was the name of a cartoon Power Ranger! I grew up with the name, Hudson Force, but I've often used my other "christen name", Stewart. Yes, I have the 100 Ton Ocean Operator's license (Master's), but that not the source of "Captain" in my home region. Here it's just a casual reference for a boater. We rarely here the word "skipper" here, but it sounds as good as other choices. 'no offense intended, Hudson Force
Old 13-07-2014, 20:22   #112

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
It's disturbing to me to read of so many that consider my user name to be a sign that I am a "pretentious *******". Of course this has little relevance within my own micro-culture where it is common place for people on the water to refer to each other as captain. On an international forum, I would expect people to recognize that terms don't have the same connotation worldwide. I have no misunderstanding of an Australian referring to a friend as his mate; however, I know that in my neighborhood if I were to introduce someone as my mate, they would be thought of as my sexual partner. With the recognition that so many see the use of this term as undeserving, I will pursue a change. It's probably best,- When another member once asked me about the validity of my username I googled "Captain Force" and found that it was the name of a cartoon Power Ranger! I grew up with the name, Hudson Force, but I've often used my other "christen name", Stewart. Yes, I have the 100 Ton Ocean Operator's license (Master's), but that not the source of "Captain" in my home region. Here it's just a casual reference for a boater. We rarely here the word "skipper" here, but it sounds as good as other choices. 'no offense intended, Hudson Force
Was it me that thought of the cartoon character perchance? it sounds like the kind of tactless inaccuracy I would blurt out without thinking! I have you listed as 'Stuart' in my phone contacts memory so I even got that bit wrong by spelling it the limey way, but pretentious, certainly not, now Zorro is another matter for he is far too sweet to fit the description you gave me of him.

Anyways feel free to be a pretentious a-hole if you must, because there are a whole lot of us out there in cyberland that know it is truly not the case and that behind that username title is someone who's knowledge and vast experience has helped countless others like my Captain,Theresa and I with much useful advice along the cruising way.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 00:40   #113
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
A person with a Captains License is held to a much higher standard and if they do not follow the rules, they can loose that Captains License real fast.
So just follow the rules whether you are licensed or not. Not that hard...
Old 14-07-2014, 10:02   #114

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Being the pretentious prick that I am, my CF name is preficed by Capt because that is what I've been addressed as for the last 30 years, up until yesterday anyway when I went out with a friend to trouble shoot his boat systems. Although I only held a 100 ton Masters ticket, long expired since I retired, the prefix lingers on. It was necessary to hold that level of license to run my business and participate in deliveries up and down the west coast. I don't plan on changing as any pretentious prick wouldn't. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 11:53   #115
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Ha-ha, feathers ruffled
I have earned my bread as a licensed captain on big yachts, and on much bigger airplanes but never use the tittle or rank when away from work.
Had a black cap with scrambled eggs and Saudi Arabian Airlines on it when I was over there, but threw it away after 9/11: Most of the scum high jackers were Saudis and I wanted nothing more to do with them.

The Coast Guard ticket is good for a discount on insurance and once I was involved in a boating incident, (some sport fish guy threw a wake and damaged my anchored boat for a few $1,000).
When I wrote the accident rapport to the State of Florida, after I had called the Law Enforcment Water Cops, I signed with Captain XXXX and included my license number. Probably gave the report more credibility than the amateur bozo's report describing the same incident, but the fault was so obvious anyway that it may not have made any difference.
Old 14-07-2014, 14:39   #116

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A Capt. who isn't? How about the newbie who styles himself Capt.X, and has never sailed but is contemplating a liveaboard boat?

Ann
Old 14-07-2014, 14:52   #117

A classic from years ago......

IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 15:14   #118
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When is a Captain not a Captain?

I'm used to being addressed as 'Captain' on first meeting but it rapidly changes to Phil at my request..
The ones that get me are the 'Hi.. I'm Captain Mike...'
Am I expected to say 'Sir' for the rest of the evening..??

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 10:17   #119

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

To add to the fun and confusion, in earlier times "Master" was the polite term to address a boy who had not yet entered society, or was under the age of 12.

He was a "Master" if he was too young to be a "Mister".

Makes good sense, right?
Old 15-07-2014, 10:38   #120
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
To add to the fun and confusion, in earlier times "Master" was the polite term to address a boy who had not yet entered society, or was under the age of 12.

He was a "Master" if he was too young to be a "Mister".

Makes good sense, right?
I've got a buddy whose last names is Bates

Tags
captain