Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2020, 16:49   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27
Re: Where will boat buying be in 2 years -- pandemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Good luck! Have you check insurance? You , might want to look at an LLC?
Thanks for the advice.

If you are interested about my boating business you can read the following thread.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...212463-10.html

Post 143 is a 3 year review of my business and why I am adding sailboat cruises
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 17:50   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

You may also want to check into the licensing requirement for the skipper. A business license ain't it. I'm guessing you will need an OUPV which requires significant sea time.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 19:27   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

You are working 80-100 hour weeks? WTF!!!

So here is MY thought in this, consider it, it may or may NOT be meaningful to you.

People and sailboats have some similarities; neither one stops on a dime not turns tight radius corners. How are you going to transition from your current work level to something completely different?

My guess is that you have absolutely ZERO idea of what living aboard is like. And if you were all of a sudden stuffed on a boat your mind would nearly explode from the sudden change. Work - gone - POOF! Now what do I fill my head with.

My advice is Slow Down. Reduce your work level. Make room for something else in your life. Get BORED, listen to what your head is telling you.

Not that I am perfect but here is a bit if my story, if it is of any value to you. We bought a boat. Took longer vacations. Decided to do more. Went part time, every other week. One week working in the city, one week living on the boat. Retired and sailed off.

By living on the boat for a good while we became used to it and were adjusted to the life style. Then when we sailed off we adjusted to living on a moving boat. Nice smooth transition. No big bumps or traumas or revelations.

A 80-100 hour/week life style is not commiserate with a boating life.

Anyway, thats my opinion FWIW.

Good luck with whatever you do.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 23:16   #19

I know 35yos who died from working 70 hour weeks for prolonged periods. Take care of your self man.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 08:27   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
I have read people saying that in two years a lot of these boats people are buying now will be back on the market. I wonder if many people will buy used boats....apparently they are buying everything....and fix them up. Then there will be a lot of old boats that have already been refit and refurbished, at pretty good prices, as many people have had their fill of sailboating in a couple years? Sound possible?

Jim
Back to the subject of this thread.

I think there will be a drop in the prices of used boats in the summer or 2021.

Mostly because with all of the business shutdowns I think there is going to be many small businesses going out of business.
The owners and workers in these businesses will be selling many things and boats will be one of the first things they will see.

I am very sad about this and hope I am wrong.
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 09:14   #21

I listened to a VERY busy broker last week.

At present CATS are selling like hotcakes....you wanna deal on a cat?.....stand in line.

Not so with monos in general.

His biggest problem?....not enough catamaran LISTINGS.

So how long will this seller's market last?....No way to predict.

Personally, I'm more than mystified as to why yachts are flying off the shelves with few places to actually sail to. Like the ridiculously high stock market, I don't see how this trend can continue given the continued severity of the pandemic.

I'm going to continue waiting in the wings. My guess is there will be some semblance of sanity in a couple of years...probably sooner.
Old 19-11-2020, 10:49   #22

Boat: 29 ft

Que sera, sera. You can either believe something will happen in the market some time in the future and wait until then - or when something you like comes up, you can buy and go sailing and never look back and never look at what the market does again - until you want to sell and buy something else.

To avoid waiting forever, I'd do the second. There are many people who have waited to long, there are also many people who have bought to fast. But those, who have bought to fast may have a chance to come back. Those who have waited to long have wasted lifespan.

There may be many reasons why sailboats are sought at the moment in the US - one of them might be fear of inflation, hoping to be able to sell a boat well after an inflation. Which might not work as many people will lose a lot in case of an inflation.

In the end, boat buying should best be driven by the desire for boating and not by trying to be to clever at beating the market.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying