Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 21:45   #196

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Who are your favourite boat bloggers / vloggers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
Sv Delos has really taken their weekly videos to a whole new level. Content, editing ... clearly they have taken their channel videos seriously and professionally while still maintaining thier own vibe. There is a reason their Patreon is over $12, 000 per weekly video.

I'm absolutely blown away with the quality they are putting out... especially when you compare to their older stuff. This really shows that they didn't have a background in video, but instead were able to learn a new set of skill. Very impressive!

Matt
Old 06-10-2017, 22:49   #197

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Great positive intro into your lifestyle and attitude.
Also nice camera work!

Congratulations on finding your first boat.....hope to watch and follow your nautical discoveries
Thank you very much!
sv soulianis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:43   #198

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv soulianis View Post
I'd like to throw our hats into the ring. We were inspired by Distant Shores 10 years ago. We've been saving and prepping our lives ever since and are over the moon to be underway. We have finally escaped the 9-to-5, sold everything, and set sail.

Subscribed. Great intro.

You guys are a few years ahead of my wife and I. Maybe we will cross paths one day.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:00   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Subscribed. Great intro.

You guys are a few years ahead of my wife and I. Maybe we will cross paths one day.
Right on! For some the journey to cruising is quick and easy for others (like us) it is a long slog. But if you keep after it, you'll get there.

We're headed in your general direction now. We're starting south on the inland river system in 2 days. But will jump off the Mississippi onto the Ohio before getting into Arkansas.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:15   #200

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv soulianis View Post
Right on! For some the journey to cruising is quick and easy for others (like us) it is a long slog. But if you keep after it, you'll get there.

We're headed in your general direction now. We're starting south on the inland river system in 2 days. But will jump off the Mississippi onto the Ohio before getting into Arkansas.

That’s awesome. What route are y’all taking?
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:24   #201

Boat: Valiant 40

These guys were the kings of sailing vlogs for a very short period, being filmmakers, but seem to have packed it in. Such a shame.

There's no doubt that this vlogging segment is getting pretty crowded at this point, but good content rises to the top. I salute all the earnest folks out there that give it a shot and put out good stuff.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:47   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Lol..... I'm hoping that trailer was mostly tongue in cheek rather than being overly dramatic...
.....speeding thru the marina, the Valkyre music, the passengers seeming stressed and over pressed sailing shots.

Not what I would show someone I wanted to get interested in sailing...
Yes, of course we're having a bit of a laugh, as we do on the boat.

Interesting take, and thanks for the feedback. However, we've had the opposite reaction from most non sailors. I think traditional sailing blogs are great, but probably not so interesting for the average landlubber (most of the people who plan to follow our trip are non sailors).

That being said, we have plenty of mellow traditional stuff mixed in - for example, our trip up the Napa river.
Caddy Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 22:22   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
That’s awesome. What route are y’all taking?
We are headed through Chicago, down the Illinois, to the Mississippi, then to the Ohio, Tennessee, and finally the Tombigbee which will put us in Mobile Alabama.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:25   #204

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Gone with the Wynns is pretty nice, you can see how newbees become circumnavigators.
Jason & Nicky are pretty good at filming and editing the content. Like also their "old" RV-vlogs, very entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gonewiththewynns
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:48   #205

The wynns , yes I like them , professionally very slick , technically very good , personality nice people ,,, but , their vids are becoming less and less boat oriantated and more like some holiday / travel show , personally i know what it is like in all these places having watched nature / anthropology / geographic type documentaries and read ( e.g. ) national grographic magazine s for many many years and don't need to see all the travel bit stuff , I want to see boaty stuff !! and I don't care for scuba type stuff or spearing wild life willy nilly for fun or video content , ( thats just me )
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:31   #206

Well they are not very techy, to be honest. It's sometimes fun to see how they stumble upon technology (solar, inverter, soft-start devices, chargers, lithium batteries, composting toilets and faucet / water pump re-fits, gadgets etc), also their RV reviews were entertaining. Finally they make it some how to work and ask for professional help.

It is the fun side that I like, the inspiration for getting off-grid and survive or starting new adventures. They are very passionate about what they are doing too. Of course, the videos become more and more a travel journal, but this is interesting too, if you have not visited those places yet 'cause you live on the other part of the world. The repairs will hit them sooner or later as all of us anyway, so the tec stuff will come up anyway.

I like their travel blogs. However they have some pressure to monetize some how, so every week a new video in high quality for Youtube and Patreon is a lot of work I guess. When they start to circumnavigate they do not have much other income than this - beside sharing costs with co-travelers.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:49   #207

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
The wynns , yes I like them , professionally very slick , technically very good , personality nice people ,,, but , their vids are becoming less and less boat oriantated and more like some holiday / travel show , personally i know what it is like in all these places having watched nature / anthropology / geographic type documentaries and read ( e.g. ) national grographic magazine s for many many years and don't need to see all the travel bit stuff , I want to see boaty stuff !! and I don't care for scuba type stuff or spearing wild life willy nilly for fun or video content , ( thats just me )

Yeah I’m only interested in their boat stuff too but i image they still have a decent RV audience to cater to. I still can’t get on with the crew. They just repeat whatever Nikki says. Seems so one dimensional. How many more times will the phrase “fish tacos” be said? I’m beginning to think it’s a running joke. Eww.

I do like the channel though. Not a fan of the contrasty look though. Too often things are blown out. Which brings me to SLV with Troyer86 there they’ve gone full blown orange and teal. I wonder if Elay will continue to grade now that he’s gone.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:09   #208

I would bet, they have tons of material of the re-fit and evaluations of products on their hard-disks that needs cutting and moderating - what they will release during longer passages or anchoring somewhere in bad weather with no-events, so they can keep the audience attracted and happy over the time.

I also like their tests of camera, dive gear and audio etc. It's not just the boat stuff, it's the lifestyle and full-time traveling experience that extends the subscriptions and attracts non-boaters too.

Special tech channels for re-fits or coverage of boat gear are on youtube if one needs a deeper dive, if you are interested in canvas works, Sailrite has tons of videos about sail repair, sunbrella enclosures, bimini and cushions. There are also many sites on restoration of osmosis damages / gel coat and teak deck refits.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:05   #209

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

I just found these people by chance on youtube and thoroughly enjoyed their videos. A couple sailing the coast of Australia in an older, modest 30ft boat. Very good perspective on cruising on a budget and certainly worth watching if you like the minimalist approach.

Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 12:32   #210

Hello everyone!

We are just starting out on YouTube, we have seven videos so far, so are pretty new to the whole thing but would appreciate people having a look and see what you think! We have been living aboard for over two years, on the move for 15 months, so trying to get up to real time with the editing...here is a link to our most recent video of a tour of our ketch...

Also I have kept an in depth blog since we began our liveaboard journey: liveaboardsailboatuk.wordpress.com

We love watching Delos, Drake Paragon and Yacht Teleport are amazing! La Vaga still watch but getting a bit commercial...More recently found untie the lines which is great too!
SV Bora Bora is offline   Reply With Quote