Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2017, 16:10   #211
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Who are your favourite boat bloggers / vloggers?

Hi Bora Bora, really nice detailed tour of your home which provides good storage ideas for others who are working on their boats.

Don't change anything
....just be yourselves!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 17:13   #212

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Hi Bora Bora. Nice boat.
Good idea to double the size of your house bank.
We've done 2 long passages and both times our auto-pilots failed. A very qualified and experienced skipper told me one of the main reasons auto-pilots fail on passage is voltage drop due to battery drain. Our batteries got low both times.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 13:16   #213

found one today,, " finding simon, sink or swim ",,, the guys got something ( apart from his adorable dog !! ),, is it balls or what ??,, anyway very best of luck to him ..
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 13:19   #214

Boat: Islander 36

I want to add another vote for Life is Like Sailing, well done, scenic videos.
smith8273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 13:21   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Hi Bora Bora. Nice boat.
Good idea to double the size of your house bank.
We've done 2 long passages and both times our auto-pilots failed. A very qualified and experienced skipper told me one of the main reasons auto-pilots fail on passage is voltage drop due to battery drain. Our batteries got low both times.
really,, we have only done one longish passage and when our AP packed up my somewhat ( first ever time on a boat ) inexperienced and totally unqualified crew member ( my wife ) was very quick to chirp up " its the batteries ", she knew because her ipad had also stopped charging !!
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 14:55   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
really,, we have only done one longish passage and when our AP packed up my somewhat ( first ever time on a boat ) inexperienced and totally unqualified crew member ( my wife ) was very quick to chirp up " its the batteries ", she knew because her ipad had also stopped charging !!
Yeah that sort of failure is just too obvious and no use to the OP

On our trips the 2nd bank of batteries were still ok but we both times had 2 weeks without auto-pilot.
Apparently the auto-pilot power demand was constant, when the voltage dropped the current went up - burninig out the electric motor.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:32   #217

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

BLOGGERS, for the most part, are no different than those standing on the corner, with a sign, "Will work for food", except that their signs say to me, "Will sail for Money". Most have not yet paid their dues in life, and have not earned the right to do what they are doing, while others foot the bill. They have cheapened the image of the sincere, honest, cruiser experience, as they are in it for the money and exposure, not the spirit of adventure.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:50   #218

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
BLOGGERS, for the most part, are no different than those standing on the corner, with a sign, "Will work for food", except that their signs say to me, "Will sail for Money". Most have not yet paid their dues in life, and have not earned the right to do what they are doing, while others foot the bill. They have cheapened the image of the sincere, honest, cruiser experience, as they are in it for the money and exposure, not the spirit of adventure.

With all due respect I think that is a terrible attitude. What is paying dues anyway, who decides? Most bloggers do so to share, spread ideas, and keep family and friends informed. It’s like a mix between the old send us a postcard, writing a letter, and share phots after the event.

Only a small percentage of bloggers are likely to be looking for any kind of meaningful monetisation.

I come from an over-landing background. The community is very different with far fewer bitter people, but most share they stories, their routes, their journeys in ride and travel reports in addition to content on their blogs. Few if any do it for money/fame.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:52   #219

Quote:

Over the last few years I have followed two blogs, which initially were both based alike, and appeared to be basic and sincere, honest and accurate. As time passed one evolved into a continual request for donations. I dropped it. The other was apparently aware that funds were becoming too low to continue and advised followers that they were headed back to work to replenish the funds, but would return in the future. They never begged, and I powill once again follow the second couple, as they have earned my respect. I will never follow the first, even considering, that I know them, having met them a year or so ago, and find them interesting.

In the spirit of the true cruiser, Be Real or Be Gone.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:07   #220

Quote:

True and sincere bloggers are not beggars. Traditional Values dictate who has earned or not earned what in a society.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:53   #221

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:

Where do I send my resume? I need to know if I’ve paid my dues or not. Thanks in advance
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:12   #222

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahTreat View Post
Where do I send my resume? I need to know if I’ve paid my dues or not. Thanks in advance

I was wondering the same thing. We went cruising the first time when I was 32. Have I paid my dues? Or should I wait until I’m old and bitter and can’t move.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:14   #223

Boat: Tanzer 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I was wondering the same thing. We went cruising the first time when I was 32. Have I paid my dues? Or should I wait until I’m old and bitter and can’t move.

That brings up a great point, maybe we can get a list of all the dues that need to be paid. That would really help.
NoahTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:37   #224
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
BLOGGERS, for the most part......
COMPLAINERS for the most part,....hide behind generalities and in this case moralise about what is really a free economic choice.

The Ying and Yang between Sailing Voyeurism and Sailing Exhibitionalism have always had varieties of commercial applications, from books to films......and aimed at mostly Dreamers rather than Doers

Now in this Open-C-thru-me format based on donations if you wish, what is there to judge??
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 15:20   #225

Quote:
Over the last few years I have followed two blogs, which initially were both based alike, and appeared to be basic and sincere, honest and accurate. As time passed one evolved into a continual request for donations. I dropped it. The other was apparently aware that funds were becoming too low to continue and advised followers that they were headed back to work to replenish the funds, but would return in the future. They never begged, and I powill once again follow the second couple, as they have earned my respect. I will never follow the first, even considering, that I know them, having met them a year or so ago, and find them interesting.

In the spirit of the true cruiser, Be Real or Be Gone.
I'm amazed that you are seeming to admit you've been bludging free entertainment off bloggers and will continue to do so.
Even acknowledging your favourite bloggers were so poorly paid they had to find alternative work to subsidise their expenses and efforts.
Or have I got you wrong and you have been paying your for the entertainment and education like others do???