Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 20:09   #91

Boat: Pearson 33-2
Re: Who are your favourite boat bloggers / vloggers?

I like watching them all, but my latest favorite is RAN. The dude sailed to Antarctica, and that scores a little street cred in my book. I still really enjoy listening to Brian on Delos. It just makes me calm....kinda like watching Bob Ross paint some friendly trees. (Bob Ross is the voice that reads me Steady Hand's posts in my head, since he always makes sure to let you know that his critical posts are still in the nicest tone .HaHa) Speaking of street cred, Riley and Alina are going to loose a little when they take off in the brand new cat in a couple months. I have really enjoyed watching them learn and become very successful, and I'm certainly happy for them, but I think some of the magic will be lost. In the end, all of the vlogs will make cruising overly popular, and make things harder on the common folk.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:42   #92

We started watching Keep Turning Left last night and like it alot. Very interesting to see sailing culture in the UK and all the different types of boats they have there.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:55   #93

Boat: Kaufman 47

We are following the crew on Blue Dog at Casuallyadrift. Gerard and Rachel are locals for us so it is great seeing them leave the same lake we're on to head south then cross the Pacific. Check them out.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:15   #94

Not that number of subscribers alone is a measure of content quality, but that's how this is sorted for what it's worth (stats as of today). The last column may be a better indicator of quality. Some of these YouTube vloggers aren't trying to build an audience while others definitely are - it's their primary source of income. And some are just too new to judge.

Helps get me through winter in the frozen north...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vloggers.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	139028  
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 18:14   #95

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Winded Voyage isnt on that list. About 2k subs.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 21:50   #96

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

My wife and I enjoy Gone with the Wynns a lot. I will watch most any of them though.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 13:28   #97

Boat: Kaufman 47

Another favorite of ours is voyagesofagape.com Josh and Rachel are out sailing around the world starting from California. They're in Mexico now and are raising money to help the needy through patreon. Check them out!
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 17:26   #98

Boat: Etap, 28i

No Bulls*!T, just sailing is his motto. Love it!
organic snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 13:14   #99

The Patreon side where applicable:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vloggers.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	139233  
Old 12-01-2017, 11:31   #100

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by svGenesis View Post
Trio Travels....excellent (carribean)
Monday never....onto a sidecar now
Gone with the wynns....newbys but very good vloggers (Keys and biscayne)
Sailing Jaeka....french and greek heavy accents but very good too. (bahamas)
Two afloat....great story (south pacific)
Fata Morgana.....Tremendous video's IMO....(pacific)
Sailing Baby Blue.... (Carribean)
Sundowner sails again....Awesome blog....just did vlogging in Rv but back to boat!
I used to follow the Wynns when they were RV blogging. Yes the photography is good but I would not characterize them as newbies, that would be too generous. Yes they are trying to learn but I keep following them to see if they have shipwrecked yet. Just think setting off for bluewater cruising in a boat built for coasting or cruising leeward with virtually no experience is well call it what you think. I fear they will encourage others with no clue to become Coast Guard problem children.
SalsaCaliente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:49   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalsaCaliente View Post
I used to follow the Wynns when they were RV blogging. Yes the photography is good but I would not characterize them as newbies, that would be too generous. Yes they are trying to learn but I keep following them to see if they have shipwrecked yet. Just think setting off for bluewater cruising in a boat built for coasting or cruising leeward with virtually no experience is well call it what you think. I fear they will encourage others with no clue to become Coast Guard problem children.
They're just island hopping so far, that doesn't take much experience. They're a long way from bluewater cruising, remains to be seen they ever attempt a long open water passage. At least they took extensive courses, many weeks, from a licensed skipper - some of the sailing vloggers are winging it in old beater boats with no training whatsoever.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:54   #102

Doesn't that sorta make it fun to watch? Watch them live and learn, therefore you learn from their mistakes?
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:39   #103

Boat: Pearson 33-2

My favorite thing about the Wynns so far was watching a vegetarian go on a lobster killing spree. OK....Just one more. LOL
Old 12-01-2017, 14:34   #104

Nice research there Interloper. Here are a few more for your list:

Hundred Rabbits - 180 patrons ($1,105 per month). Dark/geeky but their number can be a bit skewed since they have a following from the software hacker/developer community.

Two Afloat Sailing - 56 patrons ($581 per episode). Found their way in a Vagagonde episode. Great story of living with a disease and they are a funny couple.

Sailing Trio Travels - 30 patrons ($454 per episode). Family. Don't know much just started watching them.

Sailboat Story - 40 patrons ($241 per episode). Family. Funny dad with adorable little daughter going down the EC. I enjoy this one.

Venture Lives - 19 patrons ($87 pe episode). Young couple in Alaska. Backpacking/mountain biking/water sports. High quality video.

Sailing Emerald Steel - 19 patrons ($79 per episode). Older couple that has been doing this for a looooong time. A few nuggets of how to do it on the cheap. Not great quality video.

Sailorama - 15 patrons ($75 per episode). Real interesting couple (even if they are hippyish). The guy has an amazing story. Grew up sailing around the world on his parents boat. They are low budget cruisers for sure.

SV Somnium - 8 patrons ($17 per episode). Young guy who bought small boat and is learning the ropes. Made his own sails from kit. Sometimes interesting.

Shaun & Julia lost their boat. They are just treading water updating videos until they can get a new one.

Sailing Family bought a boat in the Caribbean and will be going out there next summer. They are real aggressive about getting donations which is off putting.

Sailing Salty Mermaid - after a couple of weeks off air, they just posted last night. The captain they hired to help them down the ICW hit a bridge. Extensive damage to the boat and don't know whether insurance will call it lost or repairable.

Just watch youtube all night instead of TV. Definitely going to supplement my list with some of yours. I've pretty much seen them all but a few I haven't. Thanks.
WestCoastRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 15:47   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRix View Post
Nice research there Interloper. Here are a few more for your list:

Hundred Rabbits - 180 patrons ($1,105 per month). Dark/geeky but their number can be a bit skewed since they have a following from the software hacker/developer community.

Two Afloat Sailing - 56 patrons ($581 per episode). Found their way in a Vagagonde episode. Great story of living with a disease and they are a funny couple.

Sailing Trio Travels - 30 patrons ($454 per episode). Family. Don't know much just started watching them.

Sailboat Story - 40 patrons ($241 per episode). Family. Funny dad with adorable little daughter going down the EC. I enjoy this one.

Venture Lives - 19 patrons ($87 pe episode). Young couple in Alaska. Backpacking/mountain biking/water sports. High quality video.

Sailing Emerald Steel - 19 patrons ($79 per episode). Older couple that has been doing this for a looooong time. A few nuggets of how to do it on the cheap. Not great quality video.

Sailorama - 15 patrons ($75 per episode). Real interesting couple (even if they are hippyish). The guy has an amazing story. Grew up sailing around the world on his parents boat. They are low budget cruisers for sure.

SV Somnium - 8 patrons ($17 per episode). Young guy who bought small boat and is learning the ropes. Made his own sails from kit. Sometimes interesting.

Shaun & Julia lost their boat. They are just treading water updating videos until they can get a new one.

Sailing Family bought a boat in the Caribbean and will be going out there next summer. They are real aggressive about getting donations which is off putting.

Sailing Salty Mermaid - after a couple of weeks off air, they just posted last night. The captain they hired to help them down the ICW hit a bridge. Extensive damage to the boat and don't know whether insurance will call it lost or repairable.

Just watch youtube all night instead of TV. Definitely going to supplement my list with some of yours. I've pretty much seen them all but a few I haven't. Thanks.
Thanks, I'd stumbled on a couple of them since my list, but not all of them. It's getting me through the cold winter, until I can sail again. I've also added:
  • Winded Voyage
  • Have Wind Will Travel
  • Voyages of Agape