Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2023, 12:13   #1

Who is your local Chandlery?

Are they worth supporting and if so, why? If not, why not?

In Everett WA, we have Harbor Marine, Bayside Marine, Performance Marine and West Marine.

Harbor Marine has been here for decades. Has indoor shop, distributor for all major Transmissions,.... Trends a little more Power than Sail but generally the available products, lots of the weird parts (and people who know what they are).

Bayside & Performance sell boats and motors. Smaller more focused parts availability. Both have services and storage.

West is west. #rip #pls...

I start this thread cause as the economy is changing, we really do need to keep a physical presence for parts and services... it can't just all go online.
jlynker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 12:22   #2

Re: Who is your local Chandlery?

Here in coastal MA area we had about a half dozen local chandleries close in the past 12-15 years. WM branches are kind of all over the place as far as inventory, quality of staff and periodic sales are concerned.

Much of the stuff which has to be bought new I get online. Things which can be bought used I get from a local boat junk yard, one of the few which are still left. And some items (many?) from private sales on Craigslist. Surprisingly that's still full of useful items from dinghies to quality SS hardware to unopened cans of bottom paint and whatnot.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 12:53   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Here in coastal MA area we had about a half dozen local chandleries close in the past 12-15 years. WM branches are kind of all over the place as far as inventory, quality of staff and periodic sales are concerned.
Agree with this. There is still a WM on the waterfront in Vineyard Haven, MA, that I almost always stop into when I am out on the island cruising. They are tiny, but have a decent stock and the staff is helpful. Now that Jamestown Distributors is only mailorder I really don't use them. I don't want to mailorder gallons of heavy paint. My local boatyard carries things like zincs, hose, and some paint and caulking, and I do purchase things from them just to support them or when in a rush. There are several branches of Hamilton Marine in Maine worth visiting. I periodically check a WM about 30 miles from where I live in upstate NY to see what they have and what's on sale. For example, they often have bottom paint at good prices during the late winter/early spring.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:59   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Hopkins-Carter Marine Hardware supported my family and a bunch of employees for 100 years in South Florida. I’m glad I’m not trying to make it go today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2427.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	283246  
Old 11-11-2023, 09:23   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Aside from the [very] limited marine offerings in some remote hardware stores scattered around various ports, our only real choice is online [and then where to ship?…]

There is one commercial chandler in one fishing community, but other than that…

When we refitted in Washington state, we did try and do business locally when possible.

Cheers, Bill
Old 11-11-2023, 11:06   #6

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

Lots of places around the Annapolis area. For day-to-day things I'll first go to Fawcett's or Bacon's - and then to one of the seven or eight West Marine stores in the driving area (between Baltimore and Easton). For other things (like paints) I'll get a local yard to order things for me from Paxton. I believe that their warehouse is in Norfolk (or Newport News) so I get stuff the day after I order it.

There are a few boat "junk yards" around as well - one pretty good one just across the Kent Narrows bridge in Grasonville (and Bacon's sells second-hand stuff on consignment).

I generally get electrical things from Peter Kennedy (PKYS) near Bert Jabin's yard. Not only are his prices the best I've found, he helps me design systems and select items. He also quizzes me on my understanding of things and gives me tips on installation when I pick up the items so I won't electrocute myself or burn the boat down. Nice guy - very helpful and friendly.

There are also a few good machine shops and metal fabricators that I use for fabricating specialty hardware, and for repairing hard-to-find or out-of-production things.

Finally, I was pleased to find that the local ACE Hardware stores sell 316 stainless steel fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws, etc.) - so I don't have to constantly rely on McMaster-Carr for those things. I believe that the "off-the-rack" fastenings in both Fawcett's and West Marine are 18-8 (304) stainless.

Still looking for good canvas shops (a lot around here - but all I've found have six-to-eight month waits before they can even look at my projects), plastic fabricators (need a replacement hatch cover and companionway drops), and safety-glass workers (to replace my ports).
Old 11-11-2023, 11:58   #7

There was a very small but convenient marine store right in our marina. The incompetent marina managers closed it down by raising rents to unsustainable heights then took over the space for a larger marina office. Real brains, that.

Closest ones now are in Victoria or Nanaimo, both 40 kilometers away.

Hardware store is my first go to.

But this question is so dependent on location. Like the one earlier about how long do you wait for weather windows...hmmm, lemme see: Coast of WA in winter - til spring; coast of CA in winter - a few days; coast of southern CA in winter - never
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:27   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380

Hurd’s in Deltaville for local. Other than the WM’s near us we have their uses we generally just order off Amazon.
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:49   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I'm thankful to have Lummi Fisheries Supply (LFS) in my hometown (Bellingham, WA) and another in Sitka, AK where I spend some time.
They have "local" retail stores as well as online presence (go2marine.com), plus a HUGE warehouse just down the street from the retail store so inventory is pretty solid. Some sailing stuff, lots of general boating stuff and great commercial fishing and big-boat gear.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 14:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post

Much of the stuff which has to be bought new I get online. Things which can be bought used I get from a local boat junk yard, one of the few which are still left. And some items (many?) from private sales on Craigslist. Surprisingly that's still full of useful items from dinghies to quality SS hardware to unopened cans of bottom paint and whatnot.
Of the half dozen, any you want to brag about? Particularly good ones? How would you rate the health of the one boat yard/chandlery that services most of the boats?

One thing I learned recently is that it's safer to use a boat yard that has its own travel lift. On the other hand, those yards don't let people do their own regular maintenance.
Old 11-11-2023, 14:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamster View Post
I'm thankful to have Lummi Fisheries Supply (LFS) in my hometown (Bellingham, WA) and another in Sitka, AK where I spend some time.
They have "local" retail stores as well as online presence (go2marine.com), plus a HUGE warehouse just down the street from the retail store so inventory is pretty solid. Some sailing stuff, lots of general boating stuff and great commercial fishing and big-boat gear.
Does Bellingham still have the used marine store?

I've shopped go2marine.. didn't know they were Bellingham!
Old 11-11-2023, 14:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Hopkins-Carter Marine Hardware supported my family and a bunch of employees for 100 years in South Florida. I’m glad I’m not trying to make it go today.
Still around?
Old 11-11-2023, 14:33   #13
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Best Chandlery I have ever been in is in Fremantle, WA. Australia - Yacht Grot.

The guys are super knowledgeable and helpful and if they don't know or have a part they will find it for you - They go above and beyond - It really is customer service how it should be done.

They even express posted to the other side of Oz a stern shower tap that had broken (i had purchased off them several months earlier) with no questions asked or even return of the broken item.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 14:49   #14

Today I walked my marina and on the way back stopped at Harbor Marine.. I like a protein drink after a walk and Harbor Marine sells milk!

Imagine that, I can buy milk, beer, wine, some convenience store foods... or have a complete diesel engine reinstall at the same place. Probably not while I wait.
Old 11-11-2023, 14:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Best Chandlery I have ever been in is in Fremantle, WA. Australia - Yacht Grot.

The guys are super knowledgeable and helpful and if they don't know or have a part they will find it for you - They go above and beyond - It really is customer service how it should be done.

They even express posted to the other side of Oz a stern shower tap that had broken (i had purchased off them several months earlier) with no questions asked or even return of the broken item.
All the lingo in Australia has to be lyrical Yacht Grot...

Tags
cal, chandlery