Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 03:48   #1

Boat: none(fornow)
Why Did You Decide to Live Aboard ?

So live aboards, what prompted you to take up the lifestyle?
Was it for the freedom of being able to sail whenever you wanted and taking your home with you? Was it for economic reasons? Was it just something you decided to try? Or was it for some other reason?

Given the current state of much of the worlds economy, I wonder if there will be more of less live aboards in the future. I do remember reading a blog or article sometime back about a guy that chose to live aboard for economic reasons, it was cheaper for him to rent a slip than to pay rent or a mortgage in the state where he lived and worked, it might have been Maryland.

If it were just me that I needed to think about, I would just buy a 35 to 40 to live aboard and dump the house. Winter over here in FL and summer up the eastern seaboard in New England. Perhaps someday.
kcmarcet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:57   #2

Boat: Lagoon 37
Re: Why did you decide to live aboard?

for us it was health reasons, I was not having fun at work anymore and Diane's health was not good, MS and Lupus.
We noticed that while we were doing the once or twice trips each year we both felt better with the low/no stress life style.
I took on the "mantra" of "You can always make more money, You can't make more time"
Also we were living in the mountains, and I REALLY needed to be near the water. We could not afford waterfront property, so we bought property IN the water
And we still think it is the BEST decision we have ever made!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:54   #3

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Granted, a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into. But that is when you own both a boat and a house. Just a boat is cheaper than just a house.

I have found that I don't need a house. I don't enjoy it, it's too big for me alone, and I have to go to work everyday to afford it.

On the boat I don't need the job, my pension is enough to support the boat and my living expenses. The house is just a money eating monster. And I enjoy the boat.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:01   #4

Boat: Tartan 30
I wanted to own my home, without having to pay for it for the next 30 years. And part of paying for said home, means not much freedom to travel and see the world the way I'd like. A boat made perfect sense... It's paid for, and it moves with me
Old 08-08-2011, 05:19   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We moved aboard young and motivated by freedom, adventure and independance. We were not aware, at that time, that living aboard would provide us with more. Life aboard fostered a close communication within our family, an ability to be minimum consumers of energy & resources and an ability to live far beneath our income. Now, with our children away and living in houses, we are enjoying freedom, adventure and independance in our retirement cruising.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:58   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

FREEDOM
Don;t like your neighbors, couple of hours later, new neighbors.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26   #7

Boat: Ohlson 38

I was 48 years old, suffering from a potentially life shortening health condition, and began to rearrange my priorities. Career, money, and social status, began to take on less importance, to be replaced with family, health, and living well, and fully. Although, i'm only just beginning a cruising life, it is allowing me to have a spiritually, emotionally, and physically healthier life.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:31   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Good reason virginia boy
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:13   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Why Did You Decide to Live Aboard ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarcet View Post

Given the current state of much of the worlds economy, I wonder if there will be more of less live aboards in the future.
Probably neither as local marinas have such a tight grip on the amount of liveaboards they allow. Over the years, I have lived on a few of my boats. In some cases..."sneakaboard", due to long waiting lists. I know many marinas do not allow any. To me security is better with liveaboards.
I talked to a few Harbor Masters and some stated that it attracted "riff-raff" who never used their boats other than a cheap place to live. But it seems to me if they had a policy that your boat had to sail 3 time a year minimum, that would alleviate that concern. JMHO
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
But it seems to me if they had a policy that your boat had to sail 3 time a year minimum, that would alleviate that concern. JMHO
I don't think not sailing is as much a priority as minimum condition. A boat that sits at the dock would not be a problem if it looked good. A crappy boat that sails every week would be an eyesore. And people sitting at the dock tinkering (not major rebuild) would add to the mairine atmosphere of the dockyard, not degrad it. People wanting to have their boat look good are an asset. I remember walking down the docks as a kid and the boat owners were always working on something. You stopped and asked what they were doing and they always found time to teach you, even if you didn't want a lesson. (This is also one of my reasons for moving aboard)

One other thing. If you have to ask the OP's question, you'll never know. Go buy a Harley.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:01   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I don't think not sailing is as much a priority as minimum condition. A boat that sits at the dock would not be a problem if it looked good. A crappy boat that sails every week would be an eyesore.
I agree whole heartedly...but...a boat that looks good is subjective and opens up to debate of opinion.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:19   #12

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Economics; it was costing us over 1300 a month for a home going into foreclosure which were never going to own...it costs me 600 a month to live on the boat.
Freedom...always wanted to live on a boat and the idea that I cam take my home with me wherever I go is appealing
Change in life we both are divorced and remarried and are starting a new life together without all if the trappings of out old lives
House was a pain and too big anyways
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I agree whole heartedly...but...a boat that looks good is subjective and opens up to debate of opinion.
But an eyesore is an eyesore
Old 08-08-2011, 08:55   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarcet View Post
So live aboards, what prompted you to take up the lifestyle?
Was it for the freedom of being able to sail whenever you wanted and taking your home with you? Was it for economic reasons? Was it just something you decided to try? Or was it for some other reason?

Given the current state of much of the worlds economy, I wonder if there will be more of less live aboards in the future. I do remember reading a blog or article sometime back about a guy that chose to live aboard for economic reasons, it was cheaper for him to rent a slip than to pay rent or a mortgage in the state where he lived and worked, it might have been Maryland.

If it were just me that I needed to think about, I would just buy a 35 to 40 to live aboard and dump the house. Winter over here in FL and summer up the eastern seaboard in New England. Perhaps someday.
It raised my costs but I did it for the convenience. I have two cats and I don't have to worry about how to take care of them as I sail. They love being on the boat, by the way.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
Economics; it was costing us over 1300 a month for a home going into foreclosure which were never going to own...it costs me 600 a month to live on the boat.
Freedom...always wanted to live on a boat and the idea that I cam take my home with me wherever I go is appealing
Change in life we both are divorced and remarried and are starting a new life together without all if the trappings of out old lives
House was a pain and too big anyways
Add Water/trash/sewage (Base $100/mt for me) Electricity ($50-75/mt), Gas (Well I can take the cold so $35/mt) and that $1300 a month is $1500. Add to that the cost of a car and the gas/insurance/maintenance for that and you are bouncing up to $2000/mt plus. My basic expenses are about $3000 a month, these are what is replaced by all the basic scosts of living on a boat, about $1500. My budget calls for basic not to exceed $2000, the extra goes into the boat maintenance fund. The $2000 includes Dock/electricity, food, insurance, gas (diesel), day to day maintenance and repair, boat maintenance fund ($500/mt), any loans I have out ($0.00/mt right now), intertainment. With all that, my intertainment portion (what's left) is greater than what I have now. The boat maintenance fund is for the big stuff, not day to day stuff. Haul-outs, bottom paint, new electronics, etc. If I have all that completed and there's money left, I visit the kids.