Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2023, 04:07   #166

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Why do cruisers quit cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, Thomm, it appears that a lot of sailors do care about appearance of their boats. Mocking them does you no favors.

My observation is that maintaining a modicum of eyewash often reflects a similar level of maintenance in the critical systems of a cruising yacht. Obsessive polishing isn't indicative of similar maintenance below decks, but I believe that real neglect of appearance is often associated with neglect of critical parts of a yacht. As an example, your disdain expressed above for keeping things nice looking seems in character with your putting off replacing your aged rigging... something you have mentioned several times here on CF.

Each of us chooses how to divide up our time and energy with respect to our boats. I like to think that Ann and I have made a good compromise between polish above decks and maintenance of systems aloft and alow. Others choose differently, and that's ok with me... don't need to look at them if I find their appearance to be ugly and I can admire pristine and uncluttered vessels when they anchor nearby.

Jim
Looks like you misunderstood.

I was simply agreeing with the poster that said many folks stop cruising because they cannot deal with not having their boats in perfect condition.

The thing about my boat is that to me it looks great whether it's freshly painted or not. I do like everything to work though and I like having decent sails.

I'm thinking my boat looks pretty darn good for the $2,000 I paid for it.

As far as my rigging, it gets a priority as well as other things I have to pay for. Right now I'm paying for three residences one of which is my house. The ex-wife is there. The other two are apartments rents, internet, electric etc.

I want to pay off this house very soon.

Plus just paid for an engine replacement in my ex-wife's jeep. Jasper factory rebuild.

As to the rigging again, I was up the mast on Friday. It was a bit of a gut check doing it at the dock because if for any reason it came down my nearly 70 year old body would have gotten beat up.

I was alone while doing it and the steps are so far apart on my webbing ladder that sometimes I would have to use my free hand to get my foot high enough for the next step. It was quite the workout actually especially since I did my 3 mile run, push ups, and pull ups on Thursday

To be quite honest though when I got just above the spreaders I was having second thoughts then went on up the rest of the way after I reviewing mentally the additional strengthening of the rig I did before I started climbing (halyards fore and aft)

While up there I removed an old bullet block that had been swing around for years. I couldn't get the keeper ring out with one hand so used pliers and just ripped it off then removed the block. Center roller had long ago disintegrated.

I had no belt to hold me to the mast. I used one hand for that and one to do the work.

I also checked the rigging up there.

It looked to be in pretty good shape. I was mainly worried about the forestay with the furler on it.

The backstay appears to be the oldest so I may run a polyester line from the masthead to one of the stern cleats as a sort of backup. Or maybe a longer line to both stern cleats

Photo of my new jib and port side rigging .....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1440 (2).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	269394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444 (2).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	269395  

Name:	IMG_1384 (2).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	269396   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1385 (2).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	269397  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 07:23   #167

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Since 2015 we've called our boat our home, but we only live on it about 1/2 the year. We've staying in the NE (currently Newfoundland), where wintering on board is not easily done. So we're on board for about 6 months, and then we do other things for the rest of the year. It' keeps our lives varied and connected to friends:
Yes- I think this concept is great. I can’t see not owning a boat or cruising. It would be a shame to spend a finite time period doing it all, then stopping, like many do. Though to each their own. It helps that our landlife is 5 min from the boatyard.

IMO Cruising part-time helps to keep it fresh, and allows for other types of activities and vacations (not to mention work, family raising).
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:12   #168

I know why my wife and I quit cruising after 22 years. It was because a violent storm off the coast of Mozambique tossed our boat ashore on an almost uninhabited coastline. A week of travel by foot and native sailing craft brought us to the city of Maputo where we were placed under arrest until we could convince the powers that be that we were not terrorists. We are now content to live in the Caribbean and island hop in a smaller boat.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:13   #169

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Yes- I think this concept is great. I can’t see not owning a boat or cruising. It would be a shame to spend a finite time period doing it all, then stopping, like many do. Though to each their own. It helps that our landlife is 5 min from the boatyard.

IMO Cruising part-time helps to keep it fresh, and allows for other types of activities and vacations (not to mention work, family raising).

Agreed. We travel on the boat as time and life permits, but the rest of the time, the boat is a 7 minute drive from the house, so we still get to enjoy it (save for winter, but that's time to work on the boat so I can minimize that during the season).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:23   #170

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
I know why my wife and I quit cruising after 22 years. It was because a violent storm off the coast of Mozambique tossed our boat ashore on an almost uninhabited coastline. A week of travel by foot and native sailing craft brought us to the city of Maputo where we were placed under arrest until we could convince the powers that be that we were not terrorists. We are now content to live in the Caribbean and island hop in a smaller boat.
Yup.

That would do it for me as well. That sounds terrible.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:24   #171

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

That’s an easy question,

Other interests
Not fun anymore

That pretty much covers the vast majority of the “why”

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 14:05   #172

We had 30,000 dollars in the bank. After 3 years we ran out of money
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:46   #173

Boat: Island Packet 40

My new years resolution is to stop worrying about the fact that I never do any waxing and polishing.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:19   #174

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
My new years resolution is to stop worrying about the fact that I never do any waxing and polishing.

I always tell people, my boat looks awesome -- from a distance .
Old 02-01-2023, 09:33   #175

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:

I always tell people, my boat looks awesome -- from a distance .
In sports car racing we wanted our car to look good at 100 mph and 100ft away.

Cheyne
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:59   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I also prefer to keep a boat looking in fairly Bristol condition.

It’s not so much for myself, as it is for others actually. It really changes the way others treat you on the water.

If you exhibit a degree of professionalism on the water, it comes back to you tenfold in the way you are treated.
Wow!

This is a bit confusing to me.

You waste your time making your boat look good for others?

People you don't know?

I could have shined up my boat today for strangers, but I decided to take a hike instead
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1555 (2).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	269451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1562 (2).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	269452  

Name:	IMG_1556 (2).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	269453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557 (2).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	269454  

Name:	IMG_1560 (2).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	269455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1569 (2).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	269456  

Old 02-01-2023, 13:13   #177

Boat: Rafiki 37

There is a world of difference between a junky boat that is being left to deteriorate, and a boat that is less-than-bristol, and looks used. It's not an either/or difference*.

If it brings you joy to keep your boat immaculately spiffy all the time, then great . I choose to devote my time to other joys. We don't all have to be the same. You don't have to put someone else down to justify your choice.

* Why do so many CF discussions degenerate into this sort of black or white, good or bad, pissing matches? It's a character of this place that I don't find elsewhere online -- or not nearly as much.
Old 02-01-2023, 13:30   #178

Quote:
There is a world of difference between a junky boat that is being left to deteriorate, and a boat that is less-than-bristol, and looks used. It's not an either/or difference*.

If it brings you joy to keep your boat immaculately spiffy all the time, then great . I choose to devote my time to other joys. We don't all have to be the same. You don't have to put someone else down to justify your choice.

* Why do so many CF discussions degenerate into this sort of black or white, good or bad, pissing matches? It's a character of this place that I don't find elsewhere online -- or not nearly as much.
I think it starts with being attacked.

So when a statement is made that another poster dislikes he may attack the guy that posted it and it goes from there.

It would go much further than we see now, but most us know if we continue the ugly battle we will receive a strike.

And I'm guessing three strikes and you are out!

So after a bit we have to let it go or the Mod's close the Thread

I simply think there are more important things in life than a shiny new or nice boat.

I've had two new shiny boats out of the 12 or so I have owned, and it's no big deal really

I grew up in a home where everything had to be spotless so I always knew when I had my own place it wouldn't be that way.

Funny thing is now I own that home and my ex likes to keep it clean so I had to mop up the mud I tracked in before I left this am and headed back to the city.....with a 3 mile hike in the middle

Btw I burned that wood pile there in the yard last weekend when it was 20 degrees.

Problem was it burnt so well I had a 15' flame going and the hose was frozen.

I had one fire extinguisher and two buckets of water so I used one bucket to chill out that fire......

It did keep me warm though at 0730 and 20 degrees outside
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1413 (3).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	269465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1423 (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	269468  

Old 02-01-2023, 13:50   #179

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Appearance wise, I don't think most people will judge you much on whether your boat looks perfect vs well used. But there's a definite appearance difference between a boat that's not pristine, looks used, but is clearly maintained and one that's just been allowed to degrade.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 14:08   #180
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

"Yeah but many don't know the difference."

Does that matter ?

Tags
cruise, cruiser, cruising