Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2024, 06:08   #211

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Why do cruisers quit cruising?

For those in good health and with family in good health the #1 reason people get out is the maintenance. I've talked to tons of cruisers over the years, having worked at hundreds of boat shows and also having done many cruising seminars, and it is the constant work on the boat that drives people away. Even the boaters who have plenty of money--you just can't take a boat into a yard and tell them to make everything perfect. It is never that easy. Every boatyard job I have ever had done ended up costing more than the estimate, and required troubleshooting afterward by myself. I mostly do all my own work, and it can be tiring and frustrating on my 38-footer to the point that I'm thinking of downsizing to get away from some of that. But, once your health problems mount or you start to have to take care of someone else that can also be the tipping point for many, especially older, cruisers.
Old 11-02-2024, 06:35   #212
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Boredom. The 1000th land fall isn't as exciting or rewarding as the first one. Sailing a big boat is just work; there is less thrill of accomplishment. It was more fun with kids, because everything is new to them, but they're grown now. Maintenance doesn't really get much harder when you get older, because you have more time and know what you are doing, but the fun-to-suck ratio just isn't what it used to be.

I downsized to a smaller, quick boat and just day sail. The fun is about the same but different, and the suck is much less.

It's all about the fun-to-suck ratio and how the individual feels about it.
Old 11-02-2024, 06:43   #213

Quote:
Maintenance doesn't really get much harder when you get older, because you have more time and know what you are doing, but the fun-to-suck ratio just isn't what it used to be.
The 40 foot bottom you need to paint doesn't get any smaller as you get older, but your aches and pains grow and you get tired more easily. One of the things I find the most tiring working on my boat is the constant up and down the long ladder to get to the deck, and lowering and raising stuff up and down that is needed. I find my legs and back get pretty tired after a day of that. I just don't get the boredom thing. Maybe you should move your boat to New England or Maine for a season? There are so many places I want to sail that I haven't been and will never get there at this stage of my life. Wish I could go tomorrow...
Old 11-02-2024, 06:51   #214
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I daresay that, as pointed out above, physical health is the #1 reason many cruisers quite cruising. While the spirit may be strong, the flesh becomes weaker.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 06:57   #215
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
The 40 foot bottom you need to paint doesn't get any smaller as you get older, but your aches and pains grow and you get tired more easily. One of the things I find the most tiring working on my boat is the constant up and down the long ladder to get to the deck, and lowering and raising stuff up and down that is needed. I find my legs and back get pretty tired after a day of that. I just don't get the boredom thing. Maybe you should move your boat to New England or Maine for a season? There are so many places I want to sail that I haven't been and will never get there at this stage of my life. Wish I could go tomorrow...

a. I don't try to do big jobs in one day because I have more time (and I downsized!). Working for just a few hours at a time was one of my great discoveries, both on the boat and at home.

b. The Chesapeake Bay and near by coast and Carolinas are endless. But for me, visiting them by boat is just not as thrilling as it was. As the saying goes, traveling by boat is an expensive way to uncomfortably go slow. I'd rather just day sail and not have to haul a motel room around with me, as though driving a motor home is more fun than driving a nice sedan. It's not.

It may also depend on how long the person has been sailing. For me it's over 40 years. I've got a serious case of been-there-done-that.
Old 11-02-2024, 07:11   #216

Boat: Bristol 27

It's like anything else after a while it's same old same.

5-10 years is enough for most.

On the other hand, when you are older the other choices are limited.

For example, most probably won't stop sailing/cruising to go cycling long distance or do a triathlon when over 65 years old.

If you can adjust to the slow lifestyle of sailing/cruising, you can continue as long as you have a home etc. where you can get off the boat for periods of time to do other things.

As far as maintenance, I just applied the second coat to the bottom of my boat. What used to be a fun job/workout is now a real challenge.

A couple times yesterday I was bent over hands on knees just breathing. I'm just about 70.

Young folks in their 40's I'd say after cleaning the topsides had the yard guys start on the bottom of their boat.

I still have the deck, cabin, and interior to paint plus a 3rd coat on the bottom and the boot top. Luckily for me it's a 27' boat.

For me, it's 32 years sailing/racing/cruising locally and 10 or so owning a power boat and fishing/skiing the Chesapeake Bay and Virginia Barrier Islands and Inlets plus North Carolina in and around Morehead City, Cape Lookout, Swansboro, Beaufort.

The sailing was in Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, and Virginia so far.

First longer cruising when I retire will be up the Bay at least to Annapolis and maybe above if the winds cooperate.

Then south to Oriental, NC and the Morehead City area.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 08:51   #217

Quote:
It may also depend on how long the person has been sailing. For me it's over 40 years. I've got a serious case of been-there-done-that.
I've been a cruising boat owner since 1980 and still love it. Before that went to Labrador and back on a 29-footer as crew, and did a fair bit of racing and day sailing smaller boats. To me it's a lot more than the sailing. Love being anchored in a beautiful spot with the full Milky Way sweeping above, no lights of civilization showing, with the gentle roar of surf crashing ashore in the distance. Or, beach combing after the storm, wandering around some new little town, walking up the hill to see the view, or just reading a book in the cockpit. Frankly, just being on the boat is still fun and worth the aggravation and costs to be able to do it.
Old 11-02-2024, 09:04   #218

Some of us though have had that our whole lives as in mid 1960's on,

You can see the Milky Way at places in and around the Chesapeake Bay most anytime it's clear whether on a boat, hiking out and away from town, or a drive in the country side.

We've been beach combing (oysterin' and clammin') since early teens getting to the Barrier Islands on our own boats or a friend's boat.

Fishing the inlets for "Door Mat" Flounder in the late 60's at 10-11 years old with the surf in the background.

Getting pounded by ocean wave swimming off Assateague Island in water temps in the high 60's at 8-14 years old. (and meeting wild Shetland ponies on the trails)

And still sailing/boating one way or another.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coming into Melfa.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	286188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wachapreague.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	286189  

Name:	Mitch.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	286190   Click image for larger version

Name:	licensed-image.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	286191  

Name:	licensed-image (1).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	286192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burton Shore Road.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	286193  

Old 11-02-2024, 10:03   #219
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
This is actually a subject that I've studied closely over the past few years and discussed directly with those out doing it or who did it. Here are my findings from these conversations:

1) It is only one of the partners dream, having both be on the same page it crucial, and more importantly you get along when spending all of your time together.

2) No breaks/spending nearly 100% of your time on the boat. Those who are successful I've found a common trait to be getting off the boat a few times a year for a month or two.

3) Money - leaving young and needing to return to work or leaving later but buying too much boat for the money you have saved then having to consider money at every turn. Money is going to be a consideration, but if you have to even think about $ if you need to replace a sail or heaven forbid go to that beach bar and have a burger & beer for dinner, you probably should not go cruising.

4) Boat is just too damn slow or have to motor too much- This is one that was mentioned by almost every single couple I spoke with that quit, they hated that they had a big heavy slow beast of a boat that needed 20knots of wind to sail and it took the fun aspect out of the actual sailing part of it. Also on the flip side those who are still out there doing it have switched over to boats that can sail in light wind and make faster than average passage times.

5) Health - the common theme was "I wish I would have started sooner" Cancer, arthritis, hell you name your ailment, I heard or read them all. There is a balance of going too late and too soon, but nobody regretted going.

6) Not being able to afford a nice boat - this sort of goes along with 3 & 4, but was a common theme that if you were on a boat that is just one notch above camping and it was constantly breaking (more so than the normal 50% of the time lol), it was a recipe for cruising not lasting very long. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the 20- and 30-year-old somethings out there vlogging, I'm talking about the 40-50 somethings that made a go of it with what they had.

7) Bad seamanship - this is sort of a catch all, but Captains who yell or don't get along with their crew, sailing out of season, not picking proper weather windows, in-ability to perform even basic boat repairs. Lack of experience prior to starting. Lack of confidence is also a biggie here.

8) Family - kids having grandkids or parents aging drew some back.

9) Turns out you just are not that into it after all once you got the taste.

I'm sure I omitted a few items, but it was super important when my wife and I started down this path to set us up for success. Even with all of that, life happens when you are busy making plans. Good stuff to keep in mind though.
Item #4 rang true to me of all your items.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 10:14   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Item #4 rang true to me of all your items.
That's strange since all monohulls are extremely slow.

You just have to learn to enjoy the slow pace like the nice view, the wildlife, the other boats if you can see any, etc, etc.

After racing beach cats for many years which are fast, it's nice at times not to have to worry where the competition is, when and where to tack on the next mark especially if you have the lead, and all the rest that goes into racing.
Old 11-02-2024, 10:53   #221
cruiser

That racing memory may be your thing but I really dont care to move less that 5 knots anytime when cruising unless a storm condition prevents it. I have had 10 sailboats including 3 cats in past 54 years and also crewed on about 14 deliveries. Only one race .
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2024, 10:59   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
That racing memory may be your thing but I really dont care to move less that 5 knots anytime when cruising unless a storm condition prevents it. I have had 10 sailboats including 3 cats in past 54 years and also crewed on about 14 deliveries. Only one race .
Well, you missed a lot of knowledge that you would have gained.

I've had 6 sailboats, 4 of them beach cats that I raced (2 with spinnakers), and 6 or so small power boats for fishing and skiing.

I plan to get another 16'-18' power boat after retirement for some fishing and exploring up the creeks in the Chesapeake Bay and the Barrier Islands on Seaside.

Those boats will run around 20-25 knots so if it's speed I want I'll take the power boat.
Old 11-02-2024, 11:27   #223
CLOD

Boat: none

Someone who has never cruised never misses a chance to write thread drift about themself on a cruising thread
Old 11-02-2024, 11:47   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Someone who has never cruised never misses a chance to write thread drift about themself on a cruising thread
I cruise all the time.

In fact, my boat is in the yard now, and I'm getting it ready for Spring and more cruising. New photos coming soon.

Not sure what your point is?

BTW, I thought you had signed off CF forever again.

I'll never be one of those guys that can live at anchor more that a day or two at a time. It's just too slow for me at least at this age almost 70.

Maybe when I retire in a year or two things will be different.
Old 11-02-2024, 12:07   #225
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I cruise all the time.
Most folks have a different definition of "cruising" than weekend jaunts on the bay.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, cruising