Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 06:56   #16

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: 4G/5G mobile router solution

You can put a booster with an antenna in front of a mifi unit then run the output of the antenna booster directly to the mifi units antenna inputs. Thats what I did in the Bahamas this year and it worked great. We used VOIP to call home for free.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:07   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Actually Peplink has exactly the solution you want. But it's not inexpensive. There is an HD1DOME and HD2DOME (1 and 2 cellular modems) which is all self contained in a waterproof dome that can be mounted at masthead. It has a single ethernet (with POE) cable run. There are SIM slots in the Dome, but you can also add a SIM Injector at the other end of the ethernet cable (which also provides the POE power). The Injector has 8 SIM slots which can be assigned to the modem(s) as needed. One Injector can support up to 8 modems so you can have 8 x HD1DOME or 4 x HD2DOME, etc with a single Injector.

I've asked Peplink if they can make a less expensive injector with only 2 SIMs, to go with the HD1DOME but so far they haven't done it. The HD1DOME is also Cat12 cellular, global support, 1Gb speed support, etc.

I have a customer with an HD2DOME and injector on a catamaran. No booster or anything obviously but getting 20+nm off shore no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymac View Post
I've been thinking about this kind of thing from time to time. I know that the RF coax runs need to be as short as possible, particularly in high frequencies.

So it seems the the ideal solution would be something *like* this unit, at the masthead, running ethernet ideally with PoE down the mast.

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-x750/

It's a very handy unit, running openwrt OS which makes it very flexible. For example it can switch to using one of its wifi units as a client, saving on your mobile bill when you have wifi coverage.

However, while in theory this solution would technically work well, practically of course you'd need to climb the mast to change the SIM card every time you get to a new country. Unless you have one of those exorbitant contracts.

What I'd really like to see is a unit like this, but with a remote sim authentication module down below. I haven't found anything like this. It seems that sim modules are always tightly integrated with the GSM radio.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:21   #18

I'm investigating cellular data options and interested in the PepWave HD2DOME along with the remote SIM injector. I assume I would still need a mobile Wifi router if I want to content via wifi (laptop, tablets, etc.). Any recommendations?

Also, does anyone know if you can use Google Fi SIM in the HD2DOME?

Thanks,
Chris
cwuerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 17:23   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Hi Chris,

I routinely spec and deliver HD1Dome and HD2Dome units along with full systems. The Narwhal Advanced systems we build use them in fact. Yes you can use Google Fi, but just needs a specific configuration. The HD1/2 Dome also needs configuration before it can use the SIM injector.

I have been using the Balance One router which has 2-5 WAN ports, built-in 802.11ac, and 5-8 LAN ports. Works well and can be remote managed along with the SIM injector and hd2dome together with InControl. I've run into some integration issues with various 3rd party devices and have tested and found specific firmware versions that work well depending on how the system is used.

Let me know if you want more information. I actually have HD2Domes, SIM Injectors, and Balance Ones in my inventory right now.

Richard Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwuerker View Post
I'm investigating cellular data options and interested in the PepWave HD2DOME along with the remote SIM injector. I assume I would still need a mobile Wifi router if I want to content via wifi (laptop, tablets, etc.). Any recommendations?

Also, does anyone know if you can use Google Fi SIM in the HD2DOME?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-01-2021, 04:04   #20
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
4G/5G mobile router solution

Why not use it be of the Chinese 4G outdoor cellular router , ok the sim is in the unit but is this an issue ?

Mine was $35 and works very well , no antenna cables , and mounted to the side of the solar arch
Old 02-01-2021, 10:24   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
Hi Chris,

I routinely spec and deliver HD1Dome and HD2Dome units along with full systems. The Narwhal Advanced systems we build use them in fact. Yes you can use Google Fi, but just needs a specific configuration. The HD1/2 Dome also needs configuration before it can use the SIM injector.

I have been using the Balance One router which has 2-5 WAN ports, built-in 802.11ac, and 5-8 LAN ports. Works well and can be remote managed along with the SIM injector and hd2dome together with InControl. I've run into some integration issues with various 3rd party devices and have tested and found specific firmware versions that work well depending on how the system is used.

Let me know if you want more information. I actually have HD2Domes, SIM Injectors, and Balance Ones in my inventory right now.

Richard Anderson

The HD1 Domes look good. I like the Huawei B2338, but it is LTE only -- no 3G, no Edge, and that is no good -- LTE has the least range offshore; Edge has the best. The HD1 has everything.

How much do they cost?

I am in the market, as I will have my mast down in a couple of months and will have a chance to do some serious work on the stuff up there.

The SIM injector is brilliant, but I saw it sold somewere for $1500 -- too expensive just to avoid going up the mast a few times.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:23   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The HD1 Domes look good. I like the Huawei B2338, but it is LTE only -- no 3G, no Edge, and that is no good -- LTE has the least range offshore; Edge has the best. The HD1 has everything.

How much do they cost?

I am in the market, as I will have my mast down in a couple of months and will have a chance to do some serious work on the stuff up there.

The SIM injector is brilliant, but I saw it sold somewere for $1500 -- too expensive just to avoid going up the mast a few times.
There is no point putting it at the mast top
Old 02-01-2021, 12:01   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There is no point putting it at the mast top

Nor would I. "Going up the mast" doesn't necessarily mean all the way up.

I already have Cat6 run up to the first spreader, which is 10 meters above the waterline, and a bracket in place for just such a device.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 15:59   #24

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

This thread is several months old, but still highly relevant and never conclusively solved the matter. So here I am!

I have a Ubiquity WiFi repeater at my masthead, running on PoE, and with most signals passworded, it is virtually useless. I'm looking for a data-only solution (so "cell boosters" aren't what I want).

I am considering something like the Pep, but they are overkill. Or something like this: https://www.outdoorrouter.com/produc...llular-router/ for under $400. With PoE already at the masthead, I could put it up there (and deal with SIM changes...) or I could put it on the arch if it's almost as good there.

I could also put a really good high gain omindirectional antenna on the arch like this $163 MIMO unit with 5 meter cables (double what I'd need....) that could directly connect to a standard consumer grade hot spot with external antenna plugs. https://www.outdoorrouter.com/produc...-omni-antenna/

One thing that makes my head spin is networks. Not only is there the Asia/Europe/Americas thing, there's the ATT/Sprint/T-Mobile/Verizon thing, and then there's the locked thing and the..... ARGH! I just want to get another SIM for my Verizon account and put it in -- unless I get to northern Canada and discover it doesn't work, so go buy a PrePaid and then, well you get the idea. (And then, how does iPhone do it -- my wife has an iPhone on our family Verizon plan, and there isn't a SIM card at all!).

Any thoughts?
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 17:32   #25

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
This thread is several months old, but still highly relevant and never conclusively solved the matter. So here I am!

I have a Ubiquity WiFi repeater at my masthead, running on PoE, and with most signals passworded, it is virtually useless. I'm looking for a data-only solution (so "cell boosters" aren't what I want).

I am considering something like the Pep, but they are overkill. Or something like this: https://www.outdoorrouter.com/produc...llular-router/ for under $400. With PoE already at the masthead, I could put it up there (and deal with SIM changes...) or I could put it on the arch if it's almost as good there.

I could also put a really good high gain omindirectional antenna on the arch like this $163 MIMO unit with 5 meter cables (double what I'd need....) that could directly connect to a standard consumer grade hot spot with external antenna plugs. https://www.outdoorrouter.com/produc...-omni-antenna/

One thing that makes my head spin is networks. Not only is there the Asia/Europe/Americas thing, there's the ATT/Sprint/T-Mobile/Verizon thing, and then there's the locked thing and the..... ARGH! I just want to get another SIM for my Verizon account and put it in -- unless I get to northern Canada and discover it doesn't work, so go buy a PrePaid and then, well you get the idea. (And then, how does iPhone do it -- my wife has an iPhone on our family Verizon plan, and there isn't a SIM card at all!).

Any thoughts?

Before GSM technology hit north america, the CDMA and TDMA phones did not have sim cards. The modern smartphones for all manufactures (not only Apple) has what it is called an eSIM or embedded SIM with or without a SIM compartment. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

As for an LTE/5G router, I would go with a device that can accept an external antenna. Which device to pick ? I don't know, I have no experience with anyone. But I had an ubiquity device on the top of my mast in past and I understand your need. I can only recommend you to check this YouTube Channel below.

You can also consider this device https://soliswifi.co/ it's a little bit expensive but you don't need to carry SIM cards nor change telecom companies while cruising.

Don't forget to come back and tell us about your choice

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC95...uvBuIHfuVo6W4Q
scargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 19:33   #26

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Yeah, I just found the Mobile Internet Resource Center, and lost most of my evening. I think I'm even a little smarter as a result!

Solis is interesting, but I don't think it addresses the signal issue. My Verizon phone has coverage all over the US and Canada, as long as I have a signal -- which is the problem.

Still learning, so much more to learn!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 19:40   #27

Boat: 1979 CHB 41 Trawler

This is a good resource: https://seabits.com/recommended-systems-plans/
Junglebike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob, route