Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2006, 05:08   #16

I like the idea of a Crusier's Wiki page which ... when crusiers fill out all the data will become a real time ribust resource for world wide cruising.

So sailors... go there and add current information.

This will be the way to go crusing guide wise once the WWW is EASILY availble on any yacht anywhere. We are not there yet.. and most rely on WiFi which means you need to be close to a WiFi source and that tethers your surfing to inhabitated coastal regions.. adjacent to shore.

I am waiting for the technology which will economically enable internet from anywhere... WiFi seems to be a solution for urban density adapted to the marine environment rather unsuccessfully.. better than nothing.. but rather flawed.

Patience

Jef
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 05:29   #17
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Wimax is going to have a 30 mile radius (read more). They are rolling it out now in the US and hopefully there will be a smart ISP that covers the coastline (not only for Cruiser's but commercial boats, etc).

I think that coverage in the Caribbean will be excellent and coastlines near major cities in developing nations will also be good. I know that in the archipelago near Angra Dos Reis in Brazil this would provide a good internet connection to thousands of people who either can't get internet or rely on Satellite or very expensive microwave connections to the islands. It will also allow them to have phones (via VOIP over the WiMax antenna) which will be nice for people living on small islands that were previously disconnected.

I wonder what Cruising will be like in 2020? So much for getting away from things...
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 05:35   #18

Is this to be a subscription service in one locality? I mean does a subscription in location X allow you to use the same provider when you move to location Y seamlessly? How does it work and what will it cost?

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 08:20   #19

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
WiFi finder

I have used the following site to find wifi in northern Eruope marinas and it seemed to be accurate.
http://usatoday.jiwire.com/index.htm
Jim Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 18:34   #20

Just because I needed something else to do (beside ripping the teak decks off my boat) I have added a list of Marinas worldwide with WIFI to CaptainWiki.com . This list is far from being complete and needs your help. Just find your marina in CaptainWiki and edit the page from "wifi=" to "wifi=Yes" under the marina services icons.

This is your chance to see how easy (or hard) a wiki can be... Give it a try and let's all finally get a complete and usefull list of marinas with Wi-FI for cruisers! Let's see how this works and if we are at all successfull I'll set up an "Anchorages with WIFI" page too!
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:06   #21

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures
Having just moved "Off The Grid" 500+ miles from Alabama to central W. FL., and spending about 1/2 the travel nights at marinas, we noticed a trend that is disturbing to say the least in Marinas that are charging upwards of $1.80 a foot for the privilege of tying up for the night, using a couple dollars worth of electricity, and water. They are connected to WI FI, but it is an additional subscription fee, and for short stays they want $5 to $10 PER DAY for a password. Most US motels now include it as part of the night's room fee, and the marinas seem to either put in a wireless router OR hire a company to "wi-fi" the marina, but at that fee mentioned above. Not very user friendly to cruisers, to say the least. Considering that a Marina's investment is no where what it costs to build a hotel/motel room, and they don't have laundry and housekeeping to provide for the slip like a hotel room does.... Can you say "Rip Off" the wealthy (You and Me) boat owners? Comments?
Old 03-06-2007, 10:17   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

otg, some hotels still charge $10 extra for internet access, dialup or broadband. Some have free internet--but expect you to bring your own cable or rent theirs. Others have free wifi but not in all rooms.

So why would marinas be any different? For my parents generation, a couple of free Cokes in the minibar would be more valuable than WiFi. And for many hotel operators--less maintenance to restock them, too.<G>

People who have "got to have" WiFi probably also have enough money to be milked out of a couple of extra bucks, like it or not.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:32   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 41
Send a message via Skype™ to johnhoedemakers
A lot of free wifi spots, just look at jiwire.com or ilovefreewifi.com. Look up the street address closest to you and voila, free and payed spots on a chart layout.

JoHo
johnhoedemakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:04   #24

Boat: No boat at present
Send a message via Yahoo to otgadventures
pirate

Thanks for input. It was a few years ago that I took some business admin courses, and I bet it is still pretty much the policy to "charge what the traffic will bear" for anything.

My only point (besides just bitching in general ) was to compare the relative investment to put up a dock system for 50 boats vs. building a 50 unit motel, with the way different amount of costs to run also. Maids, laundry, 24 hour desk clerk (find THAT at a marina) ice machines for FREE, plus land based property taxes, etc.

Yes we can AFFORD some things, but do not have unlimited funds, so other things must be postponed or not done.

Internet service is like a cellphone. You don't need one for sure, but communicating (like we're doing now?) is BASED on it. It is also good to compare notes, look up weather etc. I'd like to put that wi-fi money into a SSB for weatherfax instead of making Beacon or other provider richer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
otg, some hotels still charge $10 extra for internet access, dialup or broadband. Some have free internet--but expect you to bring your own cable or rent theirs. Others have free wifi but not in all rooms.

So why would marinas be any different? For my parents generation, a couple of free Cokes in the minibar would be more valuable than WiFi. And for many hotel operators--less maintenance to restock them, too.<G>

People who have "got to have" WiFi probably also have enough money to be milked out of a couple of extra bucks, like it or not.<G>