Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2024, 19:04   #1

Boat: 1985 Gulfstar 44
Adding rudder indicator

I have a Robertson AP1000 autopilot, but no rudder indicator on the helm. Is it possible to tap off the wiring for the autopilot and use it for a new indicator? If I can which brand indicator should I purchase? Thanks
Rookie Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 19:54   #2

Re: Adding rudder indicator

check the pilot computer box to see if it has a rudder output terminal.

you probably can't share the feedback sensor with a different gauge.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 22:02   #3

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

That is a pretty old Autopilot.

I would think about upgrading your whole system, I had a older Autopilot that I fought with trying to make work for a long time, then I upgraded to a Fruno 711C which was a massive improvement as the control panel has everything in there, rudder angle etc and it will follow the path on my chart plotter.

I quite like the interface, drove all the way to Alaska and back from Seattle with it last year, worked incredibly well. You can also have upper and lower control panels (it supports up to 3)
Old 04-07-2024, 01:14   #4

IIRC it uses as a RI101 Rudder Indicator which plugs in to the junction unit.

You might get lucky and find one on ebay. Or perhaps try West Coast Marine Electronics

Alternatively, IIRC the output from the RF100 rudder feedback unit is a variable current ranging from 0.1 to 1.1mA. You may want to verify with an Ammeter.

I think the Robertson RI40 supports both voltage and current inputs, however I think the unit itself is 24vDC. There are some on ebay, but they look quite expensive.

You may be able to find some other rudder indicator gauge that will work within that current range although I think that most modern analog rudder displays use resistive senders.

If you're dead set on having a rudder indicator gauge, perhaps consider fitting another rudder angle sensor (resistive) connected to its matching analog rudder indicator gauge, or if you're ok with electronics, perhaps design your own circuit.

I'm not going to suggest upgrading your A/P system. As long as your A/P is working and you are happy that should the need arise, it can be repaired, why break rule #1?
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:44   #5

Boat: 1985 Gulfstar 44

Thanks for the help. I've been considering adding a NMEA 2000 system to the boat, I guess it just got moved up on the priority list. I did look up the RI 101 indicators, they aren't available anywhere except for a broken one at $200...nope. So the new hardtop and davits get reassigned and off I go into the electronics world..I'll be back with a few questions, I'm sure.
Rookie Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 12:10   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

You definitely can't just "tap" into a pilots RFU wires to drive a RA meter.
In the case of your Robertson,The RF101 is the answer.

You can add a stand alone RA meter to most boats,but it does not interface with pilot.
Cheers/Len
Old 05-07-2024, 12:13   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
IIRC it uses as a RI101 Rudder Indicator which plugs in to the junction unit.

You might get lucky and find one on ebay. Or perhaps try West Coast Marine Electronics

Alternatively, IIRC the output from the RF100 rudder feedback unit is a variable current ranging from 0.1 to 1.1mA. You may want to verify with an Ammeter.

I think the Robertson RI40 supports both voltage and current inputs, however I think the unit itself is 24vDC. There are some on ebay, but they look quite expensive.

You may be able to find some other rudder indicator gauge that will work within that current range although I think that most modern analog rudder displays use resistive senders.

If you're dead set on having a rudder indicator gauge, perhaps consider fitting another rudder angle sensor (resistive) connected to its matching analog rudder indicator gauge, or if you're ok with electronics, perhaps design your own circuit.

I'm not going to suggest upgrading your A/P system. As long as your A/P is working and you are happy that should the need arise, it can be repaired, why break rule #1?

I totally agree. I posted my blurb before I noticed yours.My bad./ Len

Tags
rudder