Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2020, 03:35   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400
Advice for onboard comms

I’m looking for advice and experience with an on board comm system (ie: Walkie talkie w/ headset). I want to be able to talk with the Admiral and/or my son from the helm w/o yelling. What are you using? What do you recommend? Thanks
fthurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 03:53   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Advice for onboard comms

Search thread for Eartech and SENA headsets, and also search for the words "marriage saver."

FWIW, we tried working with Family Radios with VOX headsets; found too much of a time lag at the beginning of every transmission. Had to start every sentence with "One, Two, Three, Four..." before saying something like "OK ties of the spring line now..." to manage with those.

We also tried cellphone with bluetooth earpieces. That worked better than the walkie talkies, but... it depends on being somewhere with decent cellular service... and we were sometimes in dead spots.

The Eartech and SENA headsets seem to have risen to the top...

-Chris
Old 17-06-2020, 08:22   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Search thread for Eartech and SENA headsets, and also search for the words "marriage saver."

FWIW, we tried working with Family Radios with VOX headsets; found too much of a time lag at the beginning of every transmission. Had to start every sentence with "One, Two, Three, Four..." before saying something like "OK ties of the spring line now..." to manage with those.

We also tried cellphone with bluetooth earpieces. That worked better than the walkie talkies, but... it depends on being somewhere with decent cellular service... and we were sometimes in dead spots.

-Chris

These things are really expensive, and the Sena one is hard to find.
Old 17-06-2020, 08:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

-Chris
Yah... I frequently see folks using a mobile phone hands free setup
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 09:10   #5

You could consider Bluetooth motorcycle intercoms.
Privateer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 09:24   #6

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

When I am on the bow (usually managing the anchor) and the spouse is at the helm, we have developed a series of "butt signals" consisting of body movements to signal instructions.

So far these have received high ratings within the anchorage.

Also, after I bounced that same wife between the headliner and the master stateroom bed while handling really rough waves from the helm and she was incapable of relating her distress to me, there is now a switch in the area that activates a loud alarm at the helm.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 09:28   #7

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

We went with weather-resistant Motorola VOX-capable Talkabout FRS radios (model T260). Not as comfortable or high-quality as the stand-alone cruising headsets, but they work for us and cost for a 3-pack of radios and 3 headsets was well under $125. At that price, I care a lot less if someone drops one overboard than I would if someone donated an iPhone to Neptune.

Look at other discussions here for geographic restrictions and license requirements for FRS radios, but you're fine in the US.
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 09:41   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

FWIW, most FRS radios will unsquelch (turn on the speaker) a bit more quickly if you turn off the “privacy code” ( tone squelch) so they don’t have to wait to decode a low-frequency tone. VOX may still be slow, but not as much.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 09:45   #9

Search for either Sena Expand (about $150 each on Amazon) or the more expensive model, Sena SPH 10 (presently only $165 each on Amazon). The difference is the microphone boom. We got the Expand when the price difference was $50 a piece, and have been happy with them. You need one for each person, but can connect at least four.
rfinklegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 09:55   #10

Boat: FP Helia 44

I have been wondering if I can buy one Sena unit and bluetooth to my smartphone with a headset. Any comments from Sena owners?
Heliades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 12:36   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Advice for onboard comms

I have used cheap headsets and good ones

The one big difference I found was noise-cancelling. With the “marriage savers” one can speak low and calm yet be heard by the other person. With less expensive ones,
The wind creates background noise and you end up yelling or being misunderstood.

So why bother?

Easy test—-Try talking on your phone using the headset on a windy day.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 12:52   #12

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by fthurlow View Post
I’m looking for advice and experience with an on board comm system (ie: Walkie talkie w/ headset). I want to be able to talk with the Admiral and/or my son from the helm w/o yelling. What are you using? What do you recommend? Thanks

I use HX380 handheld marine radios with headsets. They're waterproof (including the headset) and work great. No delay. Pick any of the marine working channels that aren't in use wherever you are, 69, 72, whatever (not 16). Also useful in a dinghy and as a backup. Can be used anywhere in the world. Sufficient range that you can use them between the boat and the ship store.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 12:55   #13

Is the concern with using VHF that you are polluting some channels?

When anchoring with a lot of noise we always use the VHF and tune to channel 69 or something - then use a spare radio on the bow.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 10:51   #14
Marine Service Provider

Good luck, family and friends aboard your boat never listen anyway no matter what you say or whatever piece of modern electronics you use to say it with.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote