Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2015, 22:03   #31

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: Advice needed on AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Oh one more thing, is there an app to let others on shore see my position if I am running the transceiver?
Basically no because it would have to have cell or WiFi connection both of which are unpredictable to no existent on anything more than a lake. You can use spot connect, under $150 for the unit plus about $50 sub's per year but it works as an EPIRB and allows you to send (but not recieve) short text messegaes and send your position via satalite. Works anywhere and reliability is good although it did fail to get through during super storm sandy - but then so do everything else!

The issue about the radio and GPS waypoints. I looked at the spec seams you can't enter a waypoint that is more than 30miles from your current position. The built in GPS is not meant to work as a navigator but rarther to provide a fix for the radio, much like the ones in an EPIRB.

I took the plung and order the watchmate 850. The next leg is through Panama and I don't have crew yet...

Makes you think though when I first started sailing offshore we had a VHF and DECCA (which never worked) A tiller pilot that did not even display the course and the who was powered from a single 125a/h car battery. J remember on one occasion sailing into the beach until we could read the sight on a cafe to find out where we where, aiming for Holland, found Belgum, not so far out we thought, only 15miles to the border. It had been a rough crossing... How times change but the odd thing is there re still seems yo be just as many calls for SAR support.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 23:17   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 45.2

Quote:
Oh one more thing, is there an app to let others on shore see my position if I am running the transceiver?
Here’s a link to a great presentation http://www.milltechmarine.com/custom...n_2015-SBS.pdf from the Seattle Boat show last week that may help you get up to speed on this topic.
SailorGerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 23:31   #33

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Sorry RC that is not accurate. Check out Marine Traffic or Vessel Finder. They will display the position of almost any vessel transmitting AIS, free if it's being received by a land based station, or $ if you want the satellite connections as well.
Old 01-02-2015, 23:45   #34

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
I bet customs have shore stations that let them know where you are and when you've turned the machine off. - don't risk it.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:38   #35

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
I'll get the radio/GPS combo and hold out (save up) for the watchmate and make myself a blip on someone else's screen, a screen someone is probably watching! Until then I'll just keep doing my usual; avoid the shipping lane in the fog and at night.
I don't know if I am reading the above correctly, but the radio/GPS combo is only a receiver and not a transponder - you won't be seen by anyone.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:40   #36

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
The issue about the radio and GPS waypoints. I looked at the spec seams you can't enter a waypoint that is more than 30miles from your current position. The built in GPS is not meant to work as a navigator but rarther to provide a fix for the radio, much like the ones in an EPIRB.
Is this correct? We have the immediate predecessor to this radio (GX2150), and it certainly does not have this limitation. In fact, the owner's manual talks specifically about using it for navigation and gives examples of setting routes and waypoints on it. I can say for sure there is no 30 mile limit to the waypoints.

Seems odd to remove or limit this capability.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:16   #37

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Marine traffic lets you see any ship/boat transmitting on AIS. If it is within VHF range of a ground station it is free. Costs ifyou want to follow via satellite. Here's the link

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions - AIS Marine Traffic

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:19   #38

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Another happy Watchmate 850 customer here,simple and effective.How much is your life worth?I have Milltech receiver for sale.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 13:34   #39

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't know if I am reading the above correctly, but the radio/GPS combo is only a receiver and not a transponder - you won't be seen by anyone.

Mark
Standard Horizon makes a VHF only, VHF/GPS combo, VHF/AIS and then a VHF/GPS/AIS if I am reading the ads correctly. Since I need at least a new VHF radio, I am trying to figure out the best combo given my cruising area. From what I am reading I am swayed to save my pennies and get the Watchmate at a later date and get a radio now without AIS.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 13:51   #40

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Standard Horizon makes a VHF only, VHF/GPS combo, VHF/AIS and then a VHF/GPS/AIS if I am reading the ads correctly. Since I need at least a new VHF radio, I am trying to figure out the best combo given my cruising area. From what I am reading I am swayed to save my pennies and get the Watchmate at a later date and get a radio now without AIS.
You might think about getting some advice from people who know the products

BOE Marine - Discount Marine Electronics, GPS, Radar, Fishfinders, Autopilots, FLIR, SAT TV Can help you figure out what's best for your needs and their prices are competitive. I've bought stuff from them.
Old 02-02-2015, 13:55   #41

Boat: 1968 Sparkman and Stephens. '1 ton' 36 ft, Kauri
Send a message via Skype™ to Saltyrope

Quote:
Yes, more than one available depending on your device. Google AIS tracking and they should come up.
Saltyrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 13:59   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

In older incarnations of SH radio/AIS combo, the waypoint could be placed where you wanted it BUT it was visible on the tiny screen only from within something like say 50 Nm, because that was the widest range of the scale they used.

We have 2100 and it is a great unit. I would buy again. The newer ones can multiplex GPS and AIS on the OUT, which is a bonus IMHO.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 15:08   #43

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyrope View Post
Yes, more than one available depending on your device. Google AIS tracking and they should come up.
Thanks all for putting up with my ignorance. Now that I click on the links you sent, it is amazing all the info available as a result of AIS. I am a little late to the game....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 16:29   #44

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Sorry if I have caused some confusion. When I talked about what an AIS radio can do and whether it is designed for navigation I mean ON ITS OWN. Yes some of them can probably network data to a chart plotter but you are then navigating with the chart plotter. Looking at the screen on the AIS radios they do not have the ability to display any useful graphics due to size and resolution so you are only going to get text and possibly an alarm. Even on text it is going to require scrolling as they only show a couple of lines. Looked like lots of significant limitations to me. On the other hand if you are looking at using it to feed a network plotter that is always on I could be cheaper and simpler to install than a black box receiver.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:01   #45

Boat: a sailing boat

If this is the case then you may want to investigate things like AIS based ATONs and AIS based MOB devices / SAR services. These are all very useful sides of having an AIS onboard.

I believe now there is even an AIS/DSC MOB beacon available. Pretty fine invention for any boat sailed by a couple or other small crew.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais