Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2017, 04:47   #76

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Advice on electronics upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
Hmm, I guess I'm a bit confused. I thought the GPS mushroom was just an antenna. It plugs into a dedicated port on the Vesper, not the N2K backbone. So I thought it would work for the VHF as well. But as you said, I could output 0183 from the plotter if need be.
You're absolutely right, if you get the Vesper XB8000. the XB8000 provides the GPS output on NMEA0183, so you can use it with any DSC VHF radio, as long as you can match the baud rates. That's what I use with my Standard Horizon radio. I don't know about other AIS transponders.
Old 16-08-2017, 06:17   #77

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Thanks guys, you're right, I should probably consider the Zeuss 3 (bring on another thousand)

With respect to Airmar, what about the WS 110 or 120WX instead of the 200WX? I don't think I need or want a compass or GPS at the masthead. Also, my cat won't be heeling so I don't think I need the extra compensation for roll and pitch accuracy in the 200. The 120WX is similar in price to the Maretron WSO 100.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 06:52   #78

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

A good compass, properly installed in the correct place, is one of the best investments you can make in boat electronics. It has a huge effect on how the pilot works. It is worth saving money elsewhere in order to nail this one.
So, would you consider the fluxgate compass that came with my ST4000+ to be a good compass?
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 10:37   #79

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I would turn off AIS transmissions in the marina or in a mooring field / anchorage,
but when under way, AIS needs to be on, it is a useful tool to see what is going on around you and let the plotter do its magic for collision prevention / alarms.

If you don't like the clutter, just filter out what you consider safe, or reduce the area size displayed on the chart to a reasonable value for your speed.

I assume you can much easier spot visually a 600ft tanker than a 12 feet yacht around you, so why do you need AIS at all for the class A?
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 10:45   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Thanks guys, you're right, I should probably consider the Zeuss 3 (bring on another thousand)

With respect to Airmar, what about the WS 110 or 120WX instead of the 200WX? I don't think I need or want a compass or GPS at the masthead. Also, my cat won't be heeling so I don't think I need the extra compensation for roll and pitch accuracy in the 200. The 120WX is similar in price to the Maretron WSO 100.
In my opinion, that's a good plan.

If you have a choice between Zeus 2 and Zeus 3 and the price difference is a grand, I might think twice about that. I would certainly spend money on a really good compass (like H2183 Airmar) before spending it on the upgraded plotter. If the price difference (considering also the cost of the WiFi1 module you have to buy for the Z2) is only a few hundred, that would be different.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 10:48   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
. . . I assume you can much easier spot visually a 600ft tanker than a 12 feet yacht around you, so why do you need AIS at all for the class A?
Your point about needing to see small vessels at all is a good one. I wish everything afloat was broadcasting AIS.

But you also need it for the big tanker -- not to know that it's there, but to know its course, speed, and how you're crossing with it. So you know whether you have a problem or not, and know how to maneuver to get out of its way.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 16-08-2017, 10:50   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So, would you consider the fluxgate compass that came with my ST4000+ to be a good compass?
I would not. There may be something new and better since I researched this a few years ago, but the best compass for under $1000 when I was buying was, by far, the Airmar H2183. Maybe there's something better now; you'll need to do your own research (and let us know what you find out).

Next step up from that is a satellite compass; something I want very much but they are $$$.
Walt Whitman
Old 16-08-2017, 13:21   #83

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I assume you can much easier spot visually a 600ft tanker than a 12 feet yacht around you, so why do you need AIS at all for the class A?
Some times, those tankers sneak up on you from behind ...!
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 14:45   #84

Have you looked at the products from Digital Yacht? I haven't read the whole blog as it was long winded. Years ago I installed a DY multiplexer with Wifi that allowed all navigation devices from some different brands to be read on an ipad. I think they also have a wifi driven AIS too.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 08:53   #85

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

For those earlier in the thread interested in discussing collision avoidance:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-189419.html
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 10:40   #86

Boat: Oyster 66

I'm just starting a similar upgrade. I bought a Furuno NXT radar and TZ2 touch 12" plotter. I've also got the Maretron 300 compass. Only the plotter is installed so far and I am pretty impressed. I now have AIS on the above deck display at long last. It is fairly snappy, has a really bright display and a bigger screen than the competition. Another plus for me is I can use the charts I have on the PC plotter for Maxsea without an extra charge.

I really got Furuno for the radar though. Furuno are the only radar with ARPA. All the other recreational kit gives MARPA only, which I don't believe is as good. The Furuno uses the same type of radar technology as the B&G but it is the next generation and with higher resolution. It uses doppler shifting, which I think Raymarine also offer on their competing model. By the way, OCPN now offer their own implementation of ARPA for B&G and you may possibly find that solution good for you. I got a gimballed bracket from Scanmar also.

The Maretron heading sensor is also the latest generation with improved resolution over the previous model and over the Airmar. It works ok in testing, but I have not used it in anger yet. I don't know if the improved resolution is of a real advantage or not, I suspect it isn't. I got it as much as anything for its simultaneous HS NMEA 0183 and N2k output. I did hope to feed the 0183 into my B&G autopilot, but the first attempt was a fail. I may be upgrading that too soon.

I bought the B&G VHF with remote handset. A huge improvement over my old Skanti. The sound quality of the main unit is superb, the handset not as good, but it is a nice convenience to be able to walk around with it in your pocket. An advantage to the B&G radio is if you have their plotter also you can make a DSC call directly from the plotter. Maybe not such a useful a feature as it could be as so few people use DSC.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 11:03   #87

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
I am so happy that there are such great sailors like you around Annapolis and Baltimore who don't need their AIS. So, for the benefit of us novices who have only been sailing there for 35-40 years, would you kindly turn off your AIS.
And so happy to be the personal target of your sarcasm, when I was making a general point about AIS clutter. And my point was I *do* turn it off. Did you actually read my post, or just hit reply? lol.

It has nothing to do with be a "great sailor". It has to do with paying attention, knowing the rules of the road, and making good decisions. If you're constantly checking a screen looking at CPAs when you're around Annapolis I think you're actually at greater risk of something bad happening than if you keep your head up. Stay out of the main channels unless you need to be in them and you'll avoid 90% of your anxiety.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 05:12   #88

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Thanks for the info Dockhead. Wife and I are deciding this months purchase...Vesper XB8K or a windlass. I'm leaning towards the Vesper as I figure working the anchor by hand will give me a nice workout.

And don't kick a barking dog once he's finally quiet.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 07:32   #89

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

The 200WX doesn't compensate compass data with roll and pitch data anyway. That myth was busted some time ago. The compass and GPS at the masthead is pretty useless in my opinion. The 120WX should be just fine, and maybe it's better waterproofed than the WSO100.
Walt Whitman
Old 17-10-2017, 10:26   #90

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I will agree the GPS at the masthead is pretty useless. I mean, seriously, how many GPS data sources do you need on your network? You already have at least one chartplotter injecting GPS data.

But the compass. Wow. It's freaking awesome. It is by far the most accurate compass on the boat. As a flux gate compass with zero moving parts, there is no impact on accuracy from the violent motion at the masthead. And, since it is far away from any iron or electrical items, there is no deviation to deal with. My autopilot compass is suitable for the autopilot, where ACTUAL compass reading is not really important (point where you want to go, press "engage" -- if the reading is off it doesn't matter, it just goes where it was heading). My binnacle compass is subject to deviation and the impact of wave action -- and like all mechanical compasses, it tells you where you WERE heading, not where you ARE heading (some element of lag due to damping by the fluid). But the PB200 compass is steady and accurate. And, for the price, nothing else on the market comes even close.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics