Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2019, 07:25   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Advices on electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thanks for providing and excellent example of WHAT NOT TO DO.
No Problem,

Here's another one.

My wife (she was 17 at the time) and I were planning to meet some fellow marines on the beach near Atlantic Beach NC on the boat.

We came out Beaufort Inlet near Morehead City and ran down the beach finally spotting the big flag the had up to signal us.

It was too rough to come in though but one of the guys tried to swim out to us. I came inside the outer breaker line to the calm water and was slowly moving back up the beach watching him swim toward us. Suddenly my wife screamed!!!

I looked back away from the beach toward this huge wave about to break over the boat ...........I nailed it and luckily the engine didn't quit and we got the hell out of there and back outside that break line. This was also in 1977 I believe
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 07:37   #47

One more.

We decided to go fishing one afternoon after work. We got the boat in and the engine started .......(which was great getting the engine started) but when I put the motor in gear the boat didn't move. I forgot I'd broken the sheer pin coming in to the beach/ramp last time out.

I didn't have a spare sheer pin so I used hooks that I cut up. I used the long sections as a sheer pin and we headed out.

We went out about 3-4 mile into the bay. Fished til dark then decided to head back in but I sheered those hook shafts off leaving to fast. Now I have to cut more hooks and redo the setup I did at the dock but now it's dark and there are waves knocking the boat around. Finally got the job done but I lost the cotter pin that holds the cone on

So I just screwed the cone on and took off. It was working great until I decided to stop and check things. When I stopped and pulled up the engine the prop was gone. We had no radio, and maybe one PFD. We were on my 14' aluminum V boat with 25 hp engine. There were 3 of us. I almost tried to swim for it but If I had I wouldn't be typing this now. It was dark and hazy so you could see any land lights

We got picked up around 3:30 am the next morning. We were napping and heard noises far off. We drenched a rag in gasoline........most of it going into the bottom of the boat and lit it off with my cigarette lighter. Whoof!!!

They came and got us. I was 17 then. 11th grade I believe

Another time.........
Old 19-03-2019, 07:55   #48

Boat: Ericson 35-3

The only trick for this trip would be getting out the channel and through the mud flats on the Anacortes end, sounds like the depth sounder is in and working now just old? If so, go for it add some charts or opencpn or iNavx or something else, you're good to go and stay in that channel! Don't cut any buoys.

If it were me I'd wait til I got the boat situated and spent some time going through it before dumping money into electronics. Electronics will become dated the day you buy them.

Study up on the currents and time them for when you're planning to go, they can make the trip go easy or miserable.
brownr377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 14:45   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thanks for providing and excellent example of WHAT NOT TO DO.
Exactly!

If you have little or no experience on the water and no idea how to navigate without all the latest electronics help available, get a chart plotter and maybe even have someone sail with you your first few times.

I was talking about what to do if you have some experience on the water
Old 19-03-2019, 15:59   #50

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRailRoader View Post
Okay so far I have decided Garmin axiom 9, standard horizon gx 1300 and new transducers too.

Between posts here and advices from my brother and co-workers I think this should be enough for the trip. Do the rest as we go.

The boat does have existing transducers as well, may see if they are compatible and use them for the trip over and haul out in Canada and install the new transducers then, do the sea cocks as well. But if the transducers are not compatible maybe we will do the fish finder idea lol. The boat does have some electronics but they are all dated or broken.

Rbk it is at the la conner marina, that's all I know.. sorry.

RR
Do you need new transducers? It's fairly unlikely.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Garmin Axiom 9", as the Axiom is a Raymarine product.

Something you should consider is installing a cheap chartplotter/MFD as a backup device (for example, the Raymarine a-series and similar Lighthouse-II devices are unbelievably cheap if you look around). Combine with an XB8000, which will take all your NMEA0183 (likely existing transducers) and NMEA2000 (the MFD) and transmit them on Wifi. Then use an iPad or iPad Pro (or some other kind of tablet) as your primary navigation system, which will show all your data including AIS.

Advantages: Much better screen and more capable device as your primary chartplotter, for a lot less than a large-screen MFD. Removable to prevent theft. Much cheaper than a 12"+ chartplotter. Good resale value allowing for regular upgrades. Dual screens, so you can use the small chartplotter as your radar display (overlaid if necessary) in the future, or on different zoom levels. Redundancy as you can still go back to your small chartplotter in case of failure, as both are completely independent of each other.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 16:23   #51

Haha yeah I mean Raymarine lol my bad.

Was flipping names between Garmin and raymarine a bunch typed out the wrong one haha

I will be addressing redundant systems in the future... this thread has run its course and seems like squabbling has started so I will be taking my leave here.

Thanks to everyone who gave me good advices and criticisms, it was and is appreciated.

RR
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 16:58   #52

I'd go with a handheld gps and a current set of charts for the area I'd be traveling in. I'd want a working vhf, but this could also be a handheld.

But a professional captain will likely have that covered as well.

It'd be nice to have the depthmeter on the boat working, but apart from that I wouldn't sweat it too much.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 11:13   #53

Quote:
Haha yeah I mean Raymarine lol my bad.

Was flipping names between Garmin and raymarine a bunch typed out the wrong one haha

I will be addressing redundant systems in the future... this thread has run its course and seems like squabbling has started so I will be taking my leave here.

Thanks to everyone who gave me good advices and criticisms, it was and is appreciated.

RR
Good Luck!

There's no squabbling though just the never ending discussion of what is actually needed for navigation by those with experience vs those with less experience that just enjoy having all the latest electronics and worry about sailing with out

Some folk are always thinking they need to upgrade their old electronics immediately after buying an old boat while others of us enjoy using the old GPS units, Humminbird Depth Finders, and charts we found on our boats when we bought them. A compass as a backup is also a good idea

My boat came with charts for the East Coast from Massachusetts to all of Florida plus the Bahamas therefore there's no need for a chart plotter but if you think you need one as an entry level sailor be sure and get one
Old 20-03-2019, 14:19   #54

Boat: Valiant 42

When we bought our Valiant I thought all the circa 2000 electronics needed to be replaced. Glad I didn’t. I added a basic helm MFD and left the rest as it was. Has worked out really well. Even though the rest of the electronics are 20 years old I think they are more reliable than a lot of new stuff these days. Does that mean I’m getting old? Probably.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 05:08   #55

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Okay so far I have decided Garmin axiom 9, standard horizon gx 1300 and new transducers too.

Between posts here and advices from my brother and co-workers I think this should be enough for the trip. Do the rest as we go.

The boat does have existing transducers as well, may see if they are compatible and use them for the trip over and haul out in Canada and install the new transducers then, do the sea cocks as well. But if the transducers are not compatible maybe we will do the fish finder idea lol. The boat does have some electronics but they are all dated or broken.

Rbk it is at the la conner marina, that's all I know.. sorry.

RR

If this is just moving the boat I would not be uncomfortable just using Navionics on a smart phone and going without a depth sounder.

If you stay in marked channels and or known deep water I’d think you’d be fine but I don’t know the area. I did 200 miles of the shallowest shoaliest section of the ICW once with my sounder out of commission. You just are careful.

My Valiant has a dedicated spot for the sounder transducer molded into the hull with a flat spot, forward of the keel on starboard. You may need to fill and/or redrill to mount a new one depending on diameter.
Old 25-03-2019, 06:47   #56

Boat: Pearson 10M

I suggest starting with
Waterproof, floating, lithium battery handheld VHF.
GPS from your phone.
Navonics chart app on your phone.
PAPER CHARTS

Full safety pack; life jackets and inflatables with harness, flares, electronic flare, throw able cushions, lifesling, jack lines, boarding ladder...

fancy chartplotters, radar and unreasonably expensive AIS transponders can wait for later.

BTW I installed B&G Zeus and Triton system on my 10M sailboat and really like them. I have fixed VHF with AIS receiver and DSC. 3 anchors and rhodes, MOB pole, horseshoe and strobe, lifesling, flares and the list goes on.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 07:33   #57

Boat: 1973 Spencer 53

My concern would just be with the timing. In scuba, we teach to never do an important dive with new equipment. There is a testing phase, a learning phase, and then you start integrating the new toys in with the “real” diving. I try to approach sailing the same.
OkiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 09:00   #58

As someone who used to install electronics snd now works for the USCG I recommend the following:
1. VHF DSC with integral GPS
2. If going beyond VHF range either an HF SSB or a satellite phone with external antenna.
3. AIS unit that transmits and recieves
4. EPIRB 406 MHz
Do not rely on a smart phone as coverage is spotty and no boats in the area can be alerted in the event of a distress.
Most important and the one thing we find most lacking and that is learn to use your electronics.
Connect all of your electronics to emergency power and do not use the engine starting battery for this as you may have killed that battery trying to start your engine.
Plotters and depth finders snd GPS units are useful but do not depend on external computers or tablets unless you have backup. Learn dead recogning navigation. In your abandon ship kit have a VHF, EPIRB, and a GPS. If all of this seems too much you would gladly have all of this in the event of a distress.
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 09:11   #59
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

My thumb's down to Lowrance. Failure rates are high and there is NO out of warranty repair. What you do get is a lot of bang for the buck, but 3 or 4 years down the road you'll have to spend that buck again because they just don't last.
Old 25-03-2019, 09:16   #60
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
1977 Valiant 40

Just starting out, mainly will be coastal around Vancouver island with a qualified skipper until we know enough to move ourselves. But I do not want to be putting ourselves at risk in any way shape or form. I was originally budgeting $4,000 for repairs next weekend.. but could go out to $6,000 if it really needs to be done for safety. If that gives you an idea of budget. Brothers buddy if he comes will only charge 4-500 labour, brother will work for free... so most that budget is just for hardware for engine maintenance and electronics

P.s we plan on getting a vhf radio too
This sounds very strange. I would think a Valiant, even an old 1977, would have some electronics already unless the boat was purchased from salvage due to sinking. I'm not big on upgrading electronics just to have all the latest and greatest. There are plenty of older systems that got the job done and if it still works use it until you get your feet on the ground with this boat. Above all else you need a GPS, VHF and know how to use them well, that's only a couple hundred bucks.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics