Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2023, 02:38   #1

Boat: Dragonfly 32 Supreme
Airmar DST810 Always Reads Slower Than SOG

I have a chronic issue with a relatively new (about 6 months old) Airmar DST810 speed and depth transducer consistently reading 1-2 knots slower than the SOG shown on our B&G Triton chartplotter and MFD’s. We sail predominately on Lake Pontchartrain and in the middle areas of the lake where we sail, there is not that much current to cause that kind of difference and the delta we see is always the DST810 lagging behind the SOG. We’ve checked the boat’s electronics SOG against our iPad Navionics app and they nearly always match. We have taken the boat through some inlets and channels that have significant current and seen the delta change accordingly to how the current is flowing against the boat so it appears the unit is responding correctly.

I’ve cleaned the DST810 impeller several times and always make sure the directional arrow is dead nuts parallel to the centerline of the boat. Our boat is a trimaran so never heels more than about 5-10 degrees and we see the issue whether the boat is flat in light air or flying the weather float if the breeze comes up. The sensor is located about 12” off the boat’s centerline.

I do have the CAST app on my phone and admittedly I’ve never tried using its calibration capability so this could be the path to a solution.

Anyone else had this chronic issue or can it be cured through calibration using the CAST app?

Thanks!
DragonflyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 04:00   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Airmar DST810 Always Reads Slower Than SOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyBob View Post
I have a chronic issue with a relatively new (about 6 months old) Airmar DST810 speed and depth transducer consistently reading 1-2 knots slower than the SOG shown on our B&G Triton chartplotter and MFD’s ...
... Anyone else had this chronic issue or can it be cured through calibration using the CAST app?
I'd, certainly, try calibrating the instrument.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 06:14   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

Your chart plotter (or other instrument) should permit adding a multiplicative term to the readout from the DST810. My Triton2 has that calibration feature. Now, the correction isn't strictly linear, so it is a bit off at low speed and high speed, but closer than what you are seeing.
Old 15-12-2023, 06:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Your chart plotter (or other instrument) should permit adding a multiplicative term to the readout from the DST810. My Triton2 has that calibration feature. Now, the correction isn't strictly linear, so it is a bit off at low speed and high speed, but closer than what you are seeing.
Cool, that’s a feature I will try to use. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 15-12-2023, 06:54   #5

SOG is always right, there is no calibration involved. It is as accurate as GPS location.

Paddlewheels are notoriously difficult to keep precise. Not just the wheel itself, but the hull around it needs to be clean for good numbers.

Your MFD manual will have a calibration procedure for it.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2023, 07:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
SOG is always right, there is no calibration involved. It is as accurate as GPS location.

Paddlewheels are notoriously difficult to keep precise. Not just the wheel itself, but the hull around it needs to be clean for good numbers.

Your MFD manual will have a calibration procedure for it.
Understood and agree but it would be nice if we can get a read on boat speed relative to SOG to see if we are being set negatively or positively by current.
Old 15-12-2023, 10:07   #7

Boat: Privilege 435

You're not alone. Mine showed 1-2 knots slow right out of the box into the boat. I've just been too lazy to calibrate it on my chart plotter.
Old 15-12-2023, 10:14   #8

I’m sure Cast can alter the speed of the impeller… take a look, it’s very good
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 04:05   #9

Boat: O'Day 34

Cast does not alter the impeller speed, it simply allows you to change the multiplier in the impeller to speed calculation.

My DST810 read 1.5 knots too fast when I first installed it. Cast has a calibration feature to correct any speed offset caused by hull configuration, etc. even though it is somewhat difficult to get right. I think it even has a 2-way feature that allows you to overcome any current while calibrating the instrument to agree with your GPS SOG which is always pretty much dead on.

Always believe your GPS SOG as it has nothing to do with any currents.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 04:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
Cast does not alter the impeller speed, it simply allows you to change the multiplier in the impeller to speed calculation.

My DST810 read 1.5 knots too fast when I first installed it. Cast has a calibration feature to correct any speed offset caused by hull configuration, etc. even though it is somewhat difficult to get right. I think it even has a 2-way feature that allows you to overcome any current while calibrating the instrument to agree with your GPS SOG which is always pretty much dead on.

Always believe your GPS SOG as it has nothing to do with any currents.
Oh, that’s good to know…I thought the cast app had an electric motor to speed up the impeller and perhaps also a brake to slow it down accordingly…so much technology in such a small device, no wonder the early DST810 versions often stopped working!!
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 05:58   #11

Boat: O'Day 34

Smart a—
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote