Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2022, 14:18   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34
Airmar Intelligent Tri replacing Smart Tri

I recently purchased a new Airmar Intelligent Trisensor (DST800) to replace my Airmar Smart Trisensor.

The issue I have is the new one came without a connector. It has 7 wires in the cable (bare, black, red, blue, brown, white and green). The old model had 5 wires (bare, red, black, blue and white). Both sensors measure speed, depth and temperature.

I am using a Simrad system with other sensors connected using a N2K system. The old sensor connected through a small board that is then connected to the N2K backbone. I presume the board is some sort of signal converter.

The basic question is am I able to use this new sensor? And if so, how do I connect it?

I am heading to the boat later today and will take some photos, gather some additional data as needed. I presume there is information missing from this post so please ask your questions here and I will get the answers.

Thanks,
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 17:15   #2

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Re: Airmar Intelligent Tri replacing Smart Tri

I'm guessing the new 5 wire ducer is NMEA2K (which uses 5 wires) - the old 7 wire version (wired to a small board which is connected to the N2K backbone) is a NMEA0183 ducer, the small board converts to N2K. I'm guessing the new one can be wired to a N2K plug and connected directly to the backbone, bypassing the (no longer needed) 0183->N2K converter. You will need a NMEA2000 field connector like this one (they are all ridiculous expensive). https://www.hodgesmarine.com/gar010-...ector-mal.html
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 19:39   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Wondering what the answer is too!

Thank you jordanbigel for that info.
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 22:41   #4

I wonder if the OP hasn't mixed up his old & new transducers ?

Suggest checking the Airmar tag affixed to the transducer.

5 wires seem more likely to correspond to NMEA 2000.
Red : 12v,
Black: Ground
Blue: CAN-L
White: CAN-H
Bare: Shield

And as Jordan stated, can be connected to a T-piece on the NMEA 2000 network using a field installable connector.

7 wires seem more likely to correspond to an analogue system that would connect to the NMEA 2000 network via an interface box.
Brown : Temperature
White : Temperature
Red : Speed +ve Supply
Green : Speed Pulse
Blue : +ve Depth Signal
Black : -ve Depth Signal
Bare : Speed/Depth Ground

A NMEA 183 transducer would ordinarily have 5 wires, 12v Supply, 12v Ground, NMEA +, NMEA - and a Shield.

If the old transducer had 5 wires and connected to the NMEA 2000 network via an interface box, it was more likely to be a NMEA 183 device.

But I sincerely doubt that a transducer with 7 wires would be a NMEA 2000 device.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 02:11   #5

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Sorry guys but my OP has it right. The old transducer Airmar Smart Tri has 5 wires (including the bare). The new one - an Airmar Intelligent Tri has the 7 wires.

Staved - You may be right about it being an analogue system in which case I will need an interface box. any suggestions on what I might look for?
Old 21-12-2022, 02:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by capblasters View Post
Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Sorry guys but my OP has it right. The old transducer Airmar Smart Tri has 5 wires (including the bare). The new one - an Airmar Intelligent Tri has the 7 wires.

Stevead - You may be right about it being an analogue system in which case I will need an interface box. any suggestions on what I might look for?
No idea.

Suggest you look at the Airmar tag attached to the transducer and find out exactly what it is that you've purchased. You may be able to ascertain what it connects to from the Airmar cross-reference guide
Old 21-12-2022, 13:48   #7

The Airmar tag attached to the transducer (see pic) lists it as a DST800-P617V 200 kHz BA. Part number: 35-002-4-01 Rev. 7
This part number does not show up in the table linked in previous reply. A site search for the part number gets me nowhere.

(First time posting a pic so might take some time.)

Old 21-12-2022, 15:11   #8

image for post above

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkpCE18CI5R8o7g-...AyzPw?e=WYEcar
Old 21-12-2022, 15:45   #9

Suggest you call Airmar for further advice.

The customer part number from your tag seems to correspond to a Raymarine part number for their OEM version of the DST 800. Refer to this link

My guess would be that the version you have purchased either connects directly to Raymarine instrument displays or to a Raymarine SeatalkNG network (their equivalent to NMEA 2000) via a Raymarine ITC5 converter.

Perhaps consider exchanging for a version of the DST 800 similar to the one you replaced with a NMEA 2000 output so that you can connect directly to your existing NMEA 2000 network.
Old 21-12-2022, 16:59   #10

I’ve learned a lot reading this thread. I think the answer is what everyone is contributing in their posts.

What do you think Capblasters?
Old 21-12-2022, 19:07   #11

Thanks everyone. It's nice to read constructive questions and solutions. I was worried this post would devolve into the issues with DST800s of which there are many threads.

I'll reach out to Airmar and possibly Raymarine. Exchanging it is a last option as it means selling it myself and buying another one - my fault not the supplier. I've got to believe there is a way to connect the transducer to an NMEA 2000 network.
Old 21-12-2022, 19:34   #12

CapBlaster, I’ve been reading a lot about the DST800 and 810. Mine is not showing speed over water. Paddle wheel is bad.

I read a article just today that stated (if it’s wrong I’m sorry) that any DST800/810 with NMEA 2000 will connect to any NMEA 2000 chart plotter. I’m hesitate to believe it since Simard sells theirs for 100 more than a GARMIN. It’s a hopeful thought.

With your picture I would think you could buy the NMEA plug in and wire the wires to the plug with a diagram. All your missing is the plug to plug into the NMEA backbone I believe.
Old 21-12-2022, 19:41   #13

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
CapBlaster, I’ve been reading a lot about the DST800 and 810. Mine is not showing speed over water. Paddle wheel is bad.

I read a article just today that stated (if it’s wrong I’m sorry) that any DST800/810 with NMEA 2000 will connect to any NMEA 2000 chart plotter. I’m hesitate to believe it since Simard sells theirs for 100 more than a GARMIN. It’s a hopeful thought.

With your picture I would think you could buy the NMEA plug in and wire the wires to the plug with a diagram. All your missing is the plug to plug into the NMEA backbone I believe.
Ummm, if you are referring to this image posted by the OP above, then no, you cannot just attach a NMEA2K connector to this cable. It has 7 wires while a NMEA2K connector uses 5 wires.

As has been stated above, this type of cable (7 wires) most definitely must go through a converter before reaching the N2K network.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2022, 19:45   #14

jordanbigel! Thank you for pointing that out. I read that post. I was thinking backwards on what I said, confusing the 5 wires to the 7 wires.

Thanks again you might have saved CapBlaster a lot of time!
Old 22-12-2022, 05:02   #15

Quote:
The NMEA 2000 Parameter Group Numbers (PGN's) for speed, depth, wind and temperature are NMEA standards and well understood. All NMEA 2000 depth, speed, wind & temperature transducers output data that can be displayed on any NMEA 2000 instrument display or multi function display (MFD).

The only gotcha is that some OEM transducers might only be calibrated using the same vendor's displays as they typically use proprietary PGN's to calibrate the transducer.

On the other hand many instrument displays or MFD's can compensate for any differences irrespective of whether the transducer has been calibrated as they are capable of storing their own calibration data within the display

Note that the DST810 transducer (essentially a DST800 with Bluetooth) can be calibrated using the Airmar CAST app.