Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 19:33   #1

Boat: 47' Newport Trawler - Windjammer Spirit
AIS and Offshore Navigator

Wow, the electronics get more and more complicated every day.

I am currently running Offshore Navigator from Maptech on my laptop. Does anyone know if I can feed AIS information to overlay on to this chartplotting software?

By the way, have a look at the Standard Horizon VHF radio called the Matrix AIS. Built-in AIS receiver - it doesn't transpond, but for about $325 it's a heck of a VHF radio with all the toys and an AIS receiver built-in that doesn't require any other antennas or extras. And, you can beam the AIS info to another device via NMEA 0183 (which is why I'm asking the question, since I can't get in touch with Maptech).

Thanks...Steve
Windjammr Spirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 21:35   #2
cruiser

I really don't think that Offshore Navigator has any support for AIS. If you search:

"offshore navigator" ais

in Google, the first hit is your posting. That's not a good sign. Further down the page it shows a couple of Maptech support answers saying that they don't have AIS support.

It's probably time to upgrade to a more complete navigation product. There are some really good ones out there now with quilting of raster charts, vector charts, weather integration, and so many other features really useful for cruising. AIS is just the beginning of things that Offshore Navigator seems to be missing.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:03   #3

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
If you are switching or thinking about it, you could take a good hard look at OpenCPN.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:50   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
If you like Offshore Navigator, I believe that is an older version of Coastal Explorer. Upgrading to CE will retain your familiarity and allow for AIS.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 20:23   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If you like Offshore Navigator, I believe that is an older version of Coastal Explorer. Upgrading to CE will retain your familiarity and allow for AIS.
That's Offshore Navigator Pro - which was a re-bundled version of Coastal Explorer with some added things.

Plain old Offshore Navigator is a much simpler application written by Maptech itself. It handled raster charts only, had no quilting support, and most certainly had no AIS support. It was a very basic product.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 23:20   #6

Boat: 47' Newport Trawler - Windjammer Spirit
Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I thought I'd pass on what I finally learned about all of this.

First, Offshore Navigator doesn't support AIS and there is no plans to support it. I can upgrade to their other software, Chart Navigator PLUS, for the low low price of $449. But wait, since I own Offshore Navigator, I get an upgrade price of $349.

Sorry, but I see nothing in the new software, other than AIS, that would encourage me to spend that kind of money. My current software works just fine.

Having said that, while searching for another alternative, I stumbled across this: TIKI Navigator

Tiki Navigator

It does everything my Offshore Navigator software does, plus supports AIS, plus a few other bells and whistles. Cost is $179 for a licence, and you can try the software for free prior to buying it. I'm quite impressed with it, and I am planning on buying the licence.

I also picked up this: Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

Standard Horizon GX2100

It's a VHF radio that supports all the usual new features like DSC etc, but also has a built-in AIS receiver. It won't act as a transmitter (though you can patch a send/receive unit to it if you want) but it does have built-in AIS, which I can export to Tiki. $350

Not selling anything, but this semi-cheap package will work nicely for my boat. If I were cruising around the world, I'd upgrade a little higher and probably pick up a complete 12" chartplotter with AIS and radar overlay, but as a current weekend boater, I just don't need all that. And for the dollars, I think this will do nicely.

Just thought I'd pass this info on.

- Steve
Windjammr Spirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2010, 07:49   #7

Only on Pro version.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 19:51   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450
Quote:
Having said that, while searching for another alternative, I stumbled across this: TIKI Navigator

Tiki Navigator

It does everything my Offshore Navigator software does, plus supports AIS, plus a few other bells and whistles. Cost is $179 for a licence, and you can try the software for free prior to buying it. I'm quite impressed with it, and I am planning on buying the licence.

I have used Tiki for a few years and while the price is right it does have enough quirks that I have switched to Maxsea Time Zero Navigator. It seems to have issues when swiching between raster charts and twitches back and forth between the charts and scales out and in... some times goes all the way out to the world chart... and I am running the lastest version that supports raster charts... has a lot of very nice features for the price, but the twitch was enough for me to move on.

Rick
Rickthesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 20:09   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are other programs that display AIS. As mentioned, OpenCPN has AIS support, and my (free) NavMonPc has pretty decent AIS display and alarm capabilities. NavMonPc is *not* a charting program, but is a good dashboard and analysis package, and interfaces well to most charting programs.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 20:55   #10

Boat: Maple Leaf 42 - WINDFALL
AIS PROBLEM(S) - We found after installing Tri-Color LED lights at the top of the mast (near VHF antenna) when we turn the LED's on we lose AID targets. To remedy this I put a dedicated AIS antenna on the stern...though signals are not as good, it works. Anyone else have this issue??
Old 30-01-2011, 20:27   #11

Boat: Cape Dory
Aparrotwind -
What brand LED tricolor are you running? Do you know how close it is positioned to your VHF antenna? Your experience is not encouraging as I am planning to install the SH GX0-2100 and an OGM tricolor in a few weeks.
TIA
M.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:55   #12

Boat: Maple Leaf 42 - WINDFALL
The VHF antenna base is approx 6" from the tricolor. We replaced our old style (white) bulb with a new tri-color LED bulb that is very bright (red/green/white) and I "think" it's a DR. LED brand of bulb. Our AIS is a Raymarine AIS 250 receiver (only). This may be one of those things where it's just our problem, but defiantly check and double-check to make sure it won't be you's too. We did install all new wiring diown the mast (possibility #1), and the new LED tri-color bulb (possibility #2). Good luck.

Tags
ais