Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 22:43   #16

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: AIS>Chartplotter>VHF radio all working together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Ben View Post
Seeking feedback/suggestions for updating my AIS system to one that transmits as well as receives. Currently I’ve a Standard Horizon GX2150 VHF (which only receives AIS) and a YachtDevices NMEA183>NMEA 2000 adapter (YDNG-02) which allows me to output the AIS data to my Garmin Chartplotter. This works perfectly and I’m happy with the radio. I also have a Ram mic $ and amplified external speaker $$ for it in the cockpit. As such, I really do not want to change the radio.

So, I am considering something like a separate AIS transceiver that I could utilize existing Masthead antenna with and connect to the chartplotter. It would be real nice to be able to see a target on the chartplotter and then to be able to hail the boat (without having to enter in the MMSI number) triggered from the Garmin 742 chartplotter.

Has anyone suggestions on how to make this happen?
Has anyone experience with this device and would it work as needed.
Digital Yacht[emoji768] ZDIGAIT1500 - Class B AIS Transceiver

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and feedback!
Doesn't the SH 2150, which you say has AIS receiver, have a screen showing the name of the ship sending the AIS and then give you a soft key function to select that displayed name and make a DSC call to the ship without knowing his MMSI number?

My SH GX2200 sends the AIS info via NMEA0183 to a chartplotter at the helm, so if I see a problem with a CPA there I just note the ship's name and step below or use the hardwired mic at the helm to select the ship by name and make the DSC call.

Like you, I have a separate AIS Class B transmitter which is only used to send out my AIS - it is not needed to receive AIS since the SH GX2200 VHF does that. The AIS transmitter is not connected to any data line but I can control it and read it, if necessary, via wifi from smartphone. As I say, the GX2200 VHF really supplies all the AIS-VHF-DSC coordination and information needed.

Always use DSC hailing if possible. The alarm gets their attention. A hail by name is sometimes not heard or understood.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 12:51   #17

Boat: Pearson 424 43'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I have a SH VHF, connected to a SH tx/rx AIS, connected to a RayMarine C80. All seems to work together as it should.
I just purchased a sailing vessel with a horizon gx220 vhs with rx ais. The boat also has a raymarine c80 radar/chart plotter at the helm. The ais was not hooked up to the plotter so I am attempting to do that. There is a terminal block with the NMEA wires that I am attempting to wire into but without any luck. I have tried both 4800 and 38400 buad settings on the horizon but cannot find/understand what settings need to be on the c80.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Snowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 12:46   #18

Boat: Tayana 37

StoneCrab, reading your remarks on the Cortex. Called a dealer and was advised it would run in the $1800 range, which is a bit above my budget. How do you feel about the 8000 compared to other units out there? Quote for the package with GPS & AIS antenna, plus splitter, was $1071. Wondering if you had any, or obtained any knowledge about the 8000 at the show. Unfortunately, I must have missed that booth. So much flooding.
Thanks
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, chartplotter, grass, hf radio, radio, vhf