Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2017, 20:48   #31

Boat: Morgan, center cockpit sloop, 44 - Enough
Re: AIS Registration, MMSI Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I see our Able Seaman is still pushing this garbage, despite being corrected by far more experienced deck officers and others on his last thread.

It's not Able Seaman, I'm an engineer. What does your MMC list for "Capacity" for which you are qualified to work aboard as crew?
SV Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 22:30   #32

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Enough View Post
BTW just in case you were unaware class B AIS is routinely set as filtered out (EXCEPT CLASS B) by class A ECDIS system and does not show up as an AIS target, it is painted as a regular radar echo and that is all. So if you are expecting the over 600 GWT crowd to see your AIS transponder, don't count on it.

Mark Fay MMC Jr. Engineer QMED AS-E / MSC ET
I think you are mistaken.
This is a normal conspiracy theory (so loved by Americans).
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 22:36   #33

Quote:
Whether your going through transferring, get new or whatever for the MMSI you end up with. Take a few minutes and enable the DSC in your VHF and also enter the MMSI in it. Then if you hit the distress button authorities in VHF range and other ships like mine will see your distress. Read up on all the other goodies DSC does like actively hailing another DSC VHF MMSI on the reserved DSC hailing channel and shifting their VHF to the working channel you preselected. There is a BUNCH of convenience neat stuff DSC does other than distress.

You went through the trouble to get the MMSI, may as well use it to its max. :-)

Mark Fay MMC Jr. Engineer QMED AS-E / MSC ET
This is the point of getting the MMSI number....
And, contrary to your comment on the AIS being filteres, I have been routinely contacted by name of our boat by merchant vessels. They see our AIS and see our yacht's name on their screens (if not asleep...)
Old 20-02-2017, 04:11   #34

I have to go to work now for the next 4 to 6 months, 24/7 except for brief stops in Spain, Italy, Greece, Djibouti, UAE & Bahrain. Working as an Electronics Technician aboard ship maintaining, supporting and repairing the ship's electronic systems for a living.

I urge you to read:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto...ication_system
http://gcaptain.com/class-filtering-targets-ships/
http://www.panbo.com/archives/2010/1...dr_norris.html

I know this will stain some fervently held world views but, so did overcoming the notion the earth was flat over several centuries.

I also ask that the Internet be scoured for colregs, CRF or regulatory policy letters bestowing legal standing in admiralty courts foreign or domestic to class B AIS. Granted Singapore and Thailand do stand as exceptions so their may be others I am as yet unaware of and can benefit by learn about.

I also wonder how many of the ardent class B devotees out there have enabled the DSC in their VHF with the MMSI they secured for their AIS? Additionally, have connected the VHF to receive GPS data or are really familiar with all the functionality their DSC VHF offers?
Old 20-02-2017, 04:24   #35

Quote:
I have to go to work now for the next 4 to 6 months, 24/7 except for brief stops in Spain, Italy, Greece, Djibouti, UAE & Bahrain. Working as an Electronics Technician aboard ship maintaining, supporting and repairing the ship's electronic systems for a living.

I urge you to read:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto...ication_system
Class B AIS - Filtering Of Targets By Ships – gCaptain
Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Class B AIS filtering, the word from Dr. Norris

I know this will stain some fervently held world views but, so did overcoming the notion the earth was flat over several centuries.

I also ask that the Internet be scoured for colregs, CRF or regulatory policy letters bestowing legal standing in admiralty courts foreign or domestic to class B AIS. Granted Singapore and Thailand do stand as exceptions so their may be others I am as yet unaware of and can benefit by learn about.

I also wonder how many of the ardent class B devotees out there have enabled the DSC in their VHF with the MMSI they secured for their AIS? Additionally, have connected the VHF to receive GPS data or are really familiar with all the functionality their DSC VHF offers?
I did all of that.
I am fully versed in all DSC functions of the radio.
Never actually initiated a dsc call on the VHF though. I did respond to DSC calls.
Old 20-02-2017, 04:27   #36
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Additionally, have connected the VHF to receive GPS data or are really familiar with all the functionality their DSC VHF offers?
Makes an awful racket if you don't...
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 05:48   #37

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Obviously I have done that. Probably not a good idea to assume that recreational cruisers are not capable to know the simple details of things like this. I also read some of the blather over on GCaptain. I believe the vast majority of US ships are captained by folks that actually know COLREGS and adhere to them. Just because someone knows or has heard of a bloviating GCaptain user with AIS B filtered and no DSC watch does not mean that is the norm, at least in the US and Europe.

The biggest benefit IMO of AIS is to be able see other vessels. It's not only the big ships I worry about but smaller recreational craft that can improve their watch keeping by having AIS both transmit and receive. Dissing AIS B is doing a disservice to the cruising community, again IMO.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 10:22   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Obviously I have done that. Probably not a good idea to assume that recreational cruisers are not capable to know the simple details of things like this. I also read some of the blather over on GCaptain. I believe the vast majority of US ships are captained by folks that actually know COLREGS and adhere to them. Just because someone knows or has heard of a bloviating GCaptain user with AIS B filtered and no DSC watch does not mean that is the norm, at least in the US and Europe.

The biggest benefit IMO of AIS is to be able see other vessels. It's not only the big ships I worry about but smaller recreational craft that can improve their watch keeping by having AIS both transmit and receive. Dissing AIS B is doing a disservice to the cruising community, again IMO.

For that all you need is a receiver. You silence the transmitter.
Old 20-02-2017, 10:28   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post

How many days of seatime do you have documented in Sea Service Letters to be so stridently informed with such profound certitude?
Old 20-02-2017, 11:08   #40

As best I can understand SV Enough's position on this based on the other thread where this was debated at length, He thinks that only boats required to carry AIS should carry it, and no others. Since the carriage requirements are only for Class A, that obviates the need for Class B. And since he thinks every vessel carrying Class A filters Class B, what use is it anyway. BTW, if that's not what you think, please correct me, as I'm not totally sure what you are arguing should happen.

I just have one simple question that was never answered/fulfilled in the other thread. We have lots of licensed deck officers here, myself included. I'm talking about the person in command of the vessel, not a tech or some other support staff, but the person who has command of the vessel. I'd like to hear directly from those who turn off Class B targets on thier ECDIS, ECS, Radar, or whatever, when, and why. All the articles are speculation, and all the deck officers who have spoken up say it would be foolish to filter out Class B targets. Filtering stationary target, and targets beyond a certain distance - yes, that makes sense. So I'd like to hear from someone first hand. Until that happens, I really wish all the speculators would just STFU.
Old 20-02-2017, 13:45   #41
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Enough is out of control and wrong, don't feed him more. Use class B transponders. i have had both class A and class B and the results out at sea are equal. In port it's different; I also disable alarms in port sometimes. I have 268 targets here.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 13:47   #42
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	141654
Busy enough for y'all? :-)

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 14:33   #43

Boat: Island Packet 350

Do most boaters who spend a month or more in the Bahamas each winter get the FCC mmsi registration, or do they just go with the BoatUS version?
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 15:02   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
How many days of seatime do you have documented in Sea Service Letters to be so stridently informed with such profound certitude?
It's common that the less skilled/knowledgeable/experienced a person is, the more they fixate on formal written credentials.

You are once again proving the point.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 16:36   #45

Boat: 1999 Lagoon 410 catamaran

I'll just put my 2cents in on this discussion...we don't rely on the AIS so that ships can "see" us. Our job is to stay out of their way. But, at night, when the lights of distant ships start playing with our imagination, it is an invaluable resource to check our AIS targets and see their bearing, their SOG, and their size. The AIS offers peace of mind in that respect for us.
RebeccaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, registration