Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 09:22   #16

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft
Re: AIS starting from scratch what's best way to go at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
From some of the posts in this thread, I do not quite understand the reasons for going for an antenna splitter. In my experience, having a dedicated antenna would be worth the (manageable) additional hassle and the incremental expense. Could you please elaborate on the rationale behind the splitter? Thank you!
The AIS class B really doesn't transmit much power and VHF is line of sight so you need it as high as possible to extend its range.

An AIS receiver with a deck level antenna would be fine in my opinion to avoid the class A (ships)

Wayne
Old 01-04-2019, 09:23   #17

Boat: 34 American Tug

I installed a Vesper 6000, and the Vesper splitter, connected to an inexpensive tablet via usb cable. It works a treat. I'm running CE on my tablet.
Zoidislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:45   #18

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I'm currently installing the DY AIT5000. More power 5w vs 2w.
The app allows you to use your Navionics charts, but cost $15 more to use them.

As far as splitters, the good ones seem to make things better not worse.
A separate antenna would likely shade solar, so no thanks.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:54   #19

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I got the AMEC Class B unit last year, good price at Defender, it works great. Built in Wifi and NMEA 2000. Has apps for Android and iphone. I run it on separate antenna, since I have a ketch. I would prefer and recommend using a dedicated antenna even at low height like spreader or stern arch since I don't like to compromise my primary VHF signal on the masthead.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:17   #20

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input and experience.
As I only have one mast the splitter seems to be the way to go.
What range are we talking about here?
I would be happy with 1 nm from my experience. We once had a near miss with a fast moving coal ship going into Newcastle harbour to at night so we don't want to repeat that.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
I would be happy with 1 nm from my experience. We once had a near miss with a fast moving coal ship going into Newcastle harbour to at night so we don't want to repeat that.
Go with vesper 8000 as a great cornerstone for electronics package.
Splitter should be last resort option if possible. Don’t read into the dubious myth of additional range at masthead height vs the real proof of longer wire and Multiple connectors,incorrectly tuned antenna, interruptions when vhf transmits ,dubious splitters manufacturing quality claims, and failure of ; splitter, mast, antenna compromising two independent redundant communication systems.

If eventually utilizing the entire Ais spectrum of advantages from safety, weather, mob location, the splitter will be required to be removed and independent antenna installed. (If transmitter on vhf is to be utilized)
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:47   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:

Because VHF is line of sight the higher the better. Top of my mast? I see them on AIS before I can see their lights.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 13:05   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
AIS class B SOTDMA = 2.5 × Transmission power of standard class B.
Gets to the bridge of ships sooner so they can dial in a smaller course correction to hush up their CPA alarm.
Excellent point. There are two types of AIS Class B, and the relatively newer SOTDMA is the way to go. i'd recommend SRT (EMTRAK) SOTDMA transceiver with their excellent, low-loss antenna splitter.

SRT makes many of the other AIS products on the market on behalf of the other brands.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 13:35   #24
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
Excellent point. There are two types of AIS Class B, and the relatively newer SOTDMA is the way to go. i'd recommend SRT (EMTRAK) SOTDMA transceiver with their excellent, low-loss antenna splitter.

SRT makes many of the other AIS products on the market on behalf of the other brands.

Chuck

I agree. If you're buying an AIS transponder (transmitter and receiver), don't get one of the old Carrier-Sense Time Domain Multiple Access (CSTDMA) units. Get the newer Self-Organizing Time Domain Multiple Access (SOTDMA) units instead. The CSTDMA units are vulnerable to going silent (not transmitting) in areas of high RF interference -- or if you have one of those noisy LED lights near the antenna. See US Coast Guard Warns of LED Lighting Interference to Marine Radios, AIS Reception for a good description of this issue.

If you are planning on getting only an AIS receiver, you can disregard the advice about CSTDMA versus SOTDMA since those protocols only apply to transmitters. But still, the article linked above is worth reading as it pertains to interference with VHF comms and AIS reception. I had one bad LED on my boat that even wiped out FM broadcast reception.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 14:59   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Great discussion of the SOTDMA upgrade found here https://digitalyacht.net/2018/11/26/class-b-sotdma/

Not sure if a sailboat will benefit from the enhancement. You will still receive the Class A from large ships and the slight decrease in transmission rate is negligible—- unless you are on a fooling America’s Cup Yacht.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:18   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

I did this same search about 6 months ago and bought the Vesper. It has an external alarm and external silent switch capability, neither of which I have hooked up yet. . I was a little disappointed to realize I overlooked that it requires an external GPS, provided. I like the WatchMate app. But the Vesper is well supported for display on chart plotters too. I am using SEAiq on my iPad along with an ancient raymarine at the helm until I replace it.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:21   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
I did this same search about 6 months ago and bought the Vesper. It has an external alarm and external silent switch capability, neither of which I have hooked up yet. . I was a little disappointed to realize I overlooked that it requires an external GPS, provided. I like the WatchMate app. But the Vesper is well supported for display on chart plotters too. I am using SEAiq on my iPad along with an ancient raymarine at the helm until I replace it.

PS. I replaced my Raymarine GPS a digital yacht GPS when the original unit failed. I have been happy with their support and technology.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:25   #28

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Unless funds are ridiculously tight, the right way to go is the XB8000.

Re: aerial splitters, with one mast this is the best solution. Get the splitter that is supplied with the XB8000 and you can be sure everything will work. Old and new instruments combined, and everything available everywhere including over wifi.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 15:49   #29

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

How the heck does having only one mast make a difference to needing a splitter?

Put the AIS antenna on one of the spreaders.
Old 01-04-2019, 20:49   #30

Boat: Hanse 370

Quote:
I want to instal an AIS transponder in my boat and my old GPS has died.
So I'm looking at a whole new set up and don't really want to spend unnecessary money on a chat plotter when my iPad using Navonics software works perfectly for my needs.
The Digital yacht AIT 3000 seems to fit the bill with a built in wifi server, a GPS receiver and a built in aerial splitter?
Is there any issues with going this way or is there a better set up I should consider?
Electronics are constantly changing so I realise what is the best today may not be same tomorrow.
Sorry if there is another thread for this subject but I searched and couldn't find anything recent.

Does the Navionics iPad app now allow you to overlay the AIS data? I have Navionics on an Android and haven't seen that feature yet. I can use OpenCPN on the tablet and overlay AIS from WiFi. Have I missed a Navionics update?
Gypsy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, grass, men