Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 23:07   #31

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: AIS starting from scratch what's best way to go at the moment?

AIS units with internal splitter means you will need yo insyall it somewherre near the path of coax cable from vhf to mast. With external splitter or better, separate antenna on spreader, you have more options of location for AIS unit. Get one with built in gps for redundancy
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 23:09   #32

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Any AIS transmitter without it’s own GPS isn’t a legal one.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:22   #33

Boat: Deerberg Beryll, Hartley 39

There are many opinions regarding the need of a receiver or transmitter. Some sailors appreciate to see what is around (and has AIS), in order to avoid them, others appreciate to be visible for the big guys in busy areas/night/fog. For the latter (i belong to that category) I was thinking about this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Matsutec-HA.../dp/B074MMTPSS , which are designed for fishing nets, but are programmable and you can input the MMSI of your kitty. What do you think about this option?
calin1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:14   #34

Boat: Etap 37 S

In Oz, we went with the GME ais and seperate splitter, connected to a raspberry pi running open cpn. Most cost effective we found here 18 months ago.

We had ships diverting course 20 nm out, just north of Newcastle. It warmed the cockles.

Mike
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:51   #35

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

That must be a good feeling, better than staring at a big black moving wall in front of you.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 18:46   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
..... The CSTDMA units are vulnerable to going silent (not transmitting) in areas of high RF interference -- or if you have one of those noisy LED lights near the antenna. ....... I had one bad LED on my boat that even wiped out FM broadcast reception.
Cpt Pat, your comment about RF interference from an LED causing Class B/CSTDMA devices to go silent is absolutely correct, and scary too.

So I looked up the Class B/CD specification IEC 62282-1 Ed. 3 (2017) and did find some good news. If a Class B/CS devices does experience this kind of interference, the devices is required to alert the operator:

"6.6.1 Integrity and protection.
The Class B "CS" AIS shall be equipped with built in integrity tests...If any failure or malfunction is detected that will significantly reduce integrity or stop operation of the Class B "CS", a visual indication shall be given...This includes the detection of background noise above -77 dBm.."

"6.7.1 Indicators and display
The Class B "CS" AIS shall be provided with the following indicators.
Tx timeout If the unit has not transmitted a position report during the last two reporting intervals...for example...high VDL load.

Error. Detection of an error as a result of the BIIT (see 6.6.1)"

The original 2006 version of this standard also includes these requirements, so all Class B/CS devices should warn the operator if LED RFI interference is serious enough to keep the device from transmitting.
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:10   #37

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

So do all LED light emit RF interference at a level to cause a problem?
My mast head lights need replacing and I was going to put LEDs up there but perhaps i should stick to incandescent ones.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:35   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
So do all LED light emit RF interference at a level to cause a problem?
My mast head lights need replacing and I was going to put LEDs up there but perhaps i should stick to incandescent ones.
No, not at all.

It's the electronic current regulator in some (not all) LEDs that radiate. Unfortunately there's not yet a recognized maritime electromagnetic compatibility standard applied to these lights that can ensure this problem won't occur.

The best procedure seems to be to ask the supplier if it radiates and make sure you can turn it if it does. And always test any newly installed LED lighting using the instructions in the USCG Safety Alert (or using instructions posted here) to make sure there's no problem.
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:41   #39

Boat: Leisure 23SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Most splitters are incredibly reliable, default to VHF if failing, and some, like the Vesper, actual add gain.

I can't see the reason to not use one.
Matt
With a splitter you can't transmit both on VHF and AIS. Usually voice (VHF) will get priority, but you won't be sending any AIS during the conversation.

Some people put the second (AIS) antenna and a small post on stern, on rail or on bimini. Seems like it has good enough range.
ghrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 14:34   #40

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

SERVICE
FIRM STANDING BEHIND PRODUCT

have typed above as these are important in my selection of products
two months ago purchased/installed a Vesper Unit
After connected failed!
Within hours got an Email response from tech support with personal contact names,after trouble shooting received a replacement unit within 1 week,all DHL back and forth,even the return envelope for defective unit was prepaid !.
Not only superior support but individually engaged
Tops!
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 16:29   #41

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input and experience.
As I only have one mast the splitter seems to be the way to go.
What range are we talking about here?
I would be happy with 1 nm from my experience. We once had a near miss with a fast moving coal ship going into Newcastle harbour to at night so we don't want to repeat that.
I installed the Sitex Metadata class B when their splitter. The antenna is about 12' above SL, and we can pick up targets at 40 miles.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:33   #42

Boat: Koopmans 46

I too am looking at this, I also use an iPad with Navionics which I find excellent. Please let us know, Dragon Lady, which system you decide to go with and how it works out?
Thanks.
John2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:05   #43

Boat: Oyster 435

I too wanted a reasonable AIS receiver but got bogged down with the choices. Ended up installing a Daisy2 with a Glomex powered splitter. The whole deal easily pared with a Garmin chart plotter. The chart plotter monitors the targets and sets alarms. At the end of the day we have better *VHF reception and the total cost was about $125.
Over a year I’m still pleased with the unit and the operation has been faultless.

*The Glomex powered splitter replaced a Shakespear unpowered spitter. FM reception improved and pick up Coast Guard info that I didn’t get before. I’m assuming due to the splitter, but far from scientific data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3150.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	189701  
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:31   #44

Boat: Koopmans 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
I did this same search about 6 months ago and bought the Vesper. It has an external alarm and external silent switch capability, neither of which I have hooked up yet. . I was a little disappointed to realize I overlooked that it requires an external GPS, provided. I like the WatchMate app. But the Vesper is well supported for display on chart plotters too. I am using SEAiq on my iPad along with an ancient raymarine at the helm until I replace it.
Can you confirm that the Vesper will work with Navionics on an iPad? If you don’t want to be seen can you switch that off but still see where others are?
John2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:49   #45

Boat: a sailing boat

We are in a similar spot with AIS transponder top of the list now.

I am getting one of the new generation ( https://digitalyacht.net/2018/11/26/class-b-sotdma/) active units, waterproof, and wifi out. I am disregarding which nmea it has (as my other gear is not n2k either).

I will leave it on for the passages and simply switch my phone, tablet or nav display if I want to see what is coming. I have a wifi ais alarm, so my screens do not need to be on all the time.

I am not getting a digital yacht unit, the link is only to explain the old vs. new technology.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, grass, men