Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2019, 12:01   #46

Re: AIS starting from scratch what's best way to go at the moment?

B&G now have a all in one VHF with AIS transmit.

https://www.bandg.com/en-nz/bg/type/...is-rxtx-v60-b/
Rusty007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 13:10   #47

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty007 View Post
B&G now have a all in one VHF with AIS transmit.

https://www.bandg.com/en-nz/bg/type/...is-rxtx-v60-b/
Well 'almost'.
I asked about these a few days ago. I got a reply, "not yet released, and no release date set yet".
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 14:37   #48

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

The Navico VHF60b is about to be released. I've (Im a navico dealer) been told it will be available next month in NZ. I have one backordered for my own boat and demo...
Old 14-11-2019, 10:14   #49

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Hi all,

I have decided to go with the Raymarine AIS700 class B, whilst not the cheapest it fits in with my existing ST60 system and Axiom multi function display. I have had good service from my existing Raymarine system so hopefully that will continue. Thanks for all the great advise and hope everyones systems works well for them DL.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 11:07   #50

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Good choice.
I upgraded to this same unit as well. This unit has SOTDMA which means more transmit power and when in crowded shipping areas this class B transponder actually communicates with the surrounding class A's transponders and time slots in so it doesn't get drowned out by them.
It also has the antenna splitter built in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Hi all,

I have decided to go with the Raymarine AIS700 class B, whilst not the cheapest it fits in with my existing ST60 system and Axiom multi function display. I have had good service from my existing Raymarine system so hopefully that will continue. Thanks for all the great advise and hope everyones systems works well for them DL.
Old 23-12-2019, 08:54   #51

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
From some of the posts in this thread, I do not quite understand the reasons for going for an antenna splitter. In my experience, having a dedicated antenna would be worth the (manageable) additional hassle and the incremental expense. Could you please elaborate on the rationale behind the splitter? Thank you!
Climbing up a 68 foot mast to install one more (expensive) item to destroy when I go under a bridge?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 08:56   #52

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
Any AIS transmitter without it’s own GPS isn’t a legal one.
Not true, there are several on the market with GPS inputs.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 09:00   #53
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Not true, there are several on the market with GPS inputs.
I’m afraid you’re wrong. They all have internal GPS receivers, you probably confused that with external GPS antenna’s
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 13:47   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I’m afraid you’re wrong. They all have internal GPS receivers, you probably confused that with external GPS antenna’s

I think both are true.

AIS devices have to have their own GPS that is part of the GPS. That's true. Sometimes the antenna is internal, and sometimes it's external.

But a number of GPSs also accept GPS data from an external GPS. This is particularly true for Class A AIS where providing an external GPS input is mandatory, and the internal GPS is strictly as a backup.
Old 23-12-2019, 13:52   #55

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Climbing up a 68 foot mast to install one more (expensive) item to destroy when I go under a bridge?
You could always use the first set of spreaders or a rail.

Of course if you are hitting bridges with your mast an aerial is the least of your issues.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 20:32   #56
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

There are pros and cons on having a splitter:

Pros:

• You can use the VHF antenna and coax you probably already have installed at the best possible location: your masthead.
  • Provisioning two VHF antennas in close proximity will cause them to "couple," detuning and raising the VSWR of both antennas and causing unwanted directivity. Two VHF antennas should be installed at least one wavelength apart. For the Marine Band: that's 2 meters. You have a very unusual masthead if you can achieve that much separation (but I've seen it done with a horizontal extension pole).
  • A separate AIS antenna installed anywhere except the masthead can be shadowed, detuned, and made directive by metal structures (the mast, stays, boom, etc.).

Cons:
  • Having two separate antennas is electronically less complex, so there's less to go wrong electronically (but more to fail physically).
  • Either antenna can be a backup for the other.
  • Connecting two radios to the same antenna through a splitter can cause difficult-to-troubleshoot mutual interference caused by either radio's internally generated noise. Unless the splitter is internal to the AIS transponder: the designers of both radios (VHF transceiver and AIS transponder) assumed their unit would have a separate dedicated antenna.
  • AIS transmission blanking: when transmitting on the VHF transceiver, you are not sending AIS data through a splitter.
  • Some splitters have an RF preamp to increase receive sensitivity. My experience is that preamp only amplifies noise with no beneficial effect on reception range.
  • The splitter may end up being a casualty in a lightning hit. Preamps don't like lightning-induced transients.
  • A second antenna and coax may cost less than a quality splitter.
My advice if you use a splitter: have a backup antenna in a less ideal but useable location for the AIS, and configure your system so you can eliminate the splitter in an emergency. End result: you still end up with two antennas.

N8QH
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 23:42   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
This is particularly true for Class A AIS where providing an external GPS input is mandatory, and the internal GPS is strictly as a backup.
Correct for Class A. And both the backup internal and external GPS receivers each need an antenna.

The external "GPS" receiver for my Class A is one of the multiple satellite system receivers, technically a Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) receiver. I'm using both US GPS and Russian GLONASS. If you intend to install an external GPS receiver, you might want to look at one of the new GNSS receivers that supports GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo (example: https://digitalyachtamerica.com/prod...s160-nmea0183/).
Old 24-12-2019, 08:09   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
I think both are true.

AIS devices have to have their own GPS that is part of the GPS. That's true. Sometimes the antenna is internal, and sometimes it's external.

But a number of GPSs also accept GPS data from an external GPS. This is particularly true for Class A AIS where providing an external GPS input is mandatory, and the internal GPS is strictly as a backup.
Tough crowd
I assumed this was about class B transponders, not class A
Old 24-12-2019, 20:55   #59
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Tough crowd
I assumed this was about class B transponders, not class A
I believe the general point was: "you can use an external receiver even when an internal receiver is provided." One has the option of provisioning a GNSS receiver that utilizes positional data from an external source for AIS, and my point is that using a source that utilizes multiple constellations (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo) provies added accuracy and redundancy. It's not a Class A versus Class B issue.

I've been very happy with the improved performance from using a GNSS receiver that provides a positional solution combining GPS and GLONASS. Now that Galileo is coming on line, I plan to upgrade to a receiver that uses all three sources. The cost is down to < $200.

I've found that GPS and GLONASS (presumably Galileo as well) reception fades when the receiver has to "look through" a wet sail, and having twice the number of receivable satellites gives a corresponding improvement in reliability. I never experience a "lost lock." That was occasionally an issue using only GPS. AIS is useless without positional data.
Old 25-12-2019, 00:46   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
I believe the general point was: "you can use an external receiver even when an internal receiver is provided." One has the option of provisioning a GNSS receiver that utilizes positional data from an external source for AIS, and my point is that using a source that utilizes multiple constellations (GPS, GLONASS, Galileo) provies added accuracy and redundancy. It's not a Class A versus Class B issue.

I've been very happy with the improved performance from using a GNSS receiver that provides a positional solution combining GPS and GLONASS. Now that Galileo is coming on line, I plan to upgrade to a receiver that uses all three sources. The cost is down to < $200.

I've found that GPS and GLONASS (presumably Galileo as well) reception fades when the receiver has to "look through" a wet sail, and having twice the number of receivable satellites gives a corresponding improvement in reliability. I never experience a "lost lock." That was occasionally an issue using only GPS. AIS is useless without positional data.
I believe a class-B transponder uses the internal GPS receiver, never an external one. Mine has a 50 channel receiver that supports all the constellations

Tags
ais, grass, men